Print Thread
Looking for a Griffon Puppy #6482423 10/05/16 08:50 PM
T
TexasRig Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Anyone know of a kennel close to central Texas where I can get a wirehaired pointing griffon? So far the closest one I can find that has some puppies this year is in northern Arkansas.

Session

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6483144 10/06/16 04:51 AM
B
Black Horse Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
X2. Thanks

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6484721 10/07/16 04:30 AM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Good luck - Out of the 4 guys I know including me our dogs came from OK, SD, MO, and CA. I know of no litters as I am waiting another year or two before I get another one. The highest ranking Griff in the US is in Lakeway, TX which is basically Austin. I ran into Brie and her owner at our Vet. He mentioned he was going to breed her sometime this year but I never followed up. The breeders I know in Texas are located in Bastrop, the Woodlands and Lubbock. Good luck in your search, but they are basically impossible to find in Texas.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6485885 10/08/16 02:07 AM
T
TexasRig Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Thanks for the reply. I'm on a waiting list with Canadian River Kennel in OK but he won't have another litter until next May. I'm talking with Aux Lake in KS also. They may have some puppies later this year. Waiting on an ultrasound. Everyone I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say about Griffs. I don't personally have any experience with the breed but they sound perfect for what I'm looking for. It sounds like you are a fan of these dogs. Do they handle the heat ok? That is really my only concern. Some of the breeders up north that I've talked with weren't sure how they would do in Texas.

Session

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6485907 10/08/16 02:21 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: TexasRig
Thanks for the reply. I'm on a waiting list with Canadian River Kennel in OK but he won't have another litter until next May. I'm talking with Aux Lake in KS also. They may have some puppies later this year. Waiting on an ultrasound. Everyone I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say about Griffs. I don't personally have any experience with the breed but they sound perfect for what I'm looking for. It sounds like you are a fan of these dogs. Do they handle the heat ok? That is really my only concern. Some of the breeders up north that I've talked with weren't sure how they would do in Texas.

Session

I would look at what types of dogs most people are running where you hunt at. That is probably the best dogs to run in that country.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6486092 10/08/16 04:38 AM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Good advice above. But more info for you:
News on Brie - http://austin.blog.statesman.com/2016/02/16/austin-hunting-dog-wins-best-of-breed-at-westminster/
Kennel - http://www.whiskeytownkennel.com/home.html

I have heard nothing but good things about Aux Lake as well. Lulu does ok with the heat but she does not have a dense coat as some can. She is allergic to about every tree know to man so the summer in Austin is not the best time. We get by and the cooler/rainy summers the last two years have helped. No other guy I know that has a Griff in TX has an allergy problem. She dove hunts, but like any dog I am extremely careful when it is really hot outside. She duck hunts as well. The coast is no issue but hunting tanks during extreme cold periods she is challenged. I am talking 20 or below with a thin layer of easily breakable ice around the edges. I had her on upland birds when she was younger when I had a place to go. She had no issues picking it up even with me as a crud first time trainer. She is not the fastest dog but will go all day and is close working which I prefer. We got her when my kids were 6 and 3. She has been a great family member and is basically a 54lbs lap dog in the house. They like to be around the "Boss" all the time. Shed very little and I strip her coat twice a year. Never cut it. Other than that it is a brushing 1-2 weeks and best of all Mama is happy there are zero hair globs floating around the tile floors. Again good luck in your search for a Griff or any breed you decide on.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6486240 10/08/16 01:26 PM
C
Colinus virginianus Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I have a Griff that is now officially my wife's dog. She behaves well, is a retrieving machine, was easy to train and is a member of our family...we just love her. The downside of a Griff in Texas is that with their long coat they are vary limited in the days that you can hunt them. My hunting is virtually all for quail which entails the dog running quite a bit...the dog will over heat quickly and on most days in Texas you are just punishing the dog by hunting it.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6491521 10/12/16 02:08 AM
L
LReichardt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Can't help with the Griffon, if you consider a German Wirehaired Pointer, which has a good bit of Griffon, I think you may find what you're looking for. I am transitioning from owning labs primarily used to duck and dove hunt to the GWP. I find myself wanting to Quail hunt more and more. As such, I wanted more of a pointer, but a breed that could still do some retrieving when duck and dove hunting. I also wanted a dog that doesnt shed much, as the labs left a lot of hair in the house and truck. What I have leaned so far when comparing my pup (17 weeks) to my labs. I am just referring to my experiences and not trying to categorize all labs and all GWPs.
My labs were better natural retrievers, more willing to please me during training sessions, easier to potty train, more sensitive to corrections.
My GWP is already pointing quail, very intelligence but wants to learn why as opposed to just doing what I condition. The GWP is a rocket on land, has a significantly better nose, barely sheds, strong prey drive but slower to return retrieves, less sensitive to verbal corrections, and is absolutely fearless.

Overall, I am happy transitioning to the GWP. However, if I primarily wanted a duck hunting partner, I'd do a lab. With that said, I plan to upland hunt more and duck hunt less, so the switch looks like it will be worth it. Ill attach a pick of the father. My pup is shaping up to look very close to him.

Last edited by LReichardt; 10/12/16 02:14 AM.
Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6491548 10/12/16 02:20 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Good looking dog! Wish mine was a lighter color like that.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6492890 10/12/16 11:18 PM
T
TexasRig Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. LReichardt I did look into the GWP and from what I had read the Griffon appears to have a little better temperament than the GWP or GSP. I will be hunting my dog as much as possible but it will also be a everyday pet for my three young kids. Again that's only what I have read, I've never been around a Griffon and I've only been around other pointers when they were focused on work. I'm also coming from a lab only back ground so I'm looking for the kind of family friendly pet.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6493107 10/13/16 01:42 AM
L
LReichardt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Gotcha, mine has been fantastic with the kids. Good luck with finding a pup that makes you guys happy. Coming from a lab like myself, I'd say the biggest thing to prepare for is how much the pointer wants to be part of the new "pack." Mine has been better with the family than what I researched for sure. Perhaps I got him early enough to get him used to the family. Thanks to MS1454 for the compliment. Ill try to post a pic of my guy. In the one pic he picked up on a quail.

Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6554663 11/22/16 07:35 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you're talking about the breeder in Fayetteville, my buddy got one from there. It's an amazing dog. He had twins shortly after bringing her home and she has been great around the kids, in addition to being a great retriever (that's what he uses her for, so far, at least).

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking for a Griffon Puppy [Re: TexasRig] #6557614 11/24/16 11:41 PM
S
Senik Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Here in Spain, the Griffon are there:

The dog that you show in the photo, here we call it "Drahthaar"

Last edited by Senik; 11/24/16 11:42 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide