Page 1 of 2 1 2
So many young bucks will be shot this year. #6484768 10/07/16 10:28 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Throughout the state the rains this year have plumped these deer up like ive seldom seen. I live on the ranch with my deer, see them daily know them by mannerisms and appearance other than weight, and and even 2 year olds look like 5+ year old deer.

I've seen several pictured on here that people with a lot of experience are calling 2 years older than what I believe they'll age out at based on what I'm seeing here.

If maturity matters to you then I'd advise you to err on the low side early in the season judging age. Happy hunting either way. Whatever floats your boat, float it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6484945 10/07/16 01:21 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
It will be much easier to judge in a month, once they've coated-in and swollen up for the rut. The good news is that the fawn crop from last year should have gotten a good jump, and the does ought to be in great breeding shape, leading to a healthy fawn crop of replacements next spring.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6484981 10/07/16 01:40 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Rancher I believe you are right. Our bucks in Llano Co are fat, and the young bucks have belliess and guts more typical of what you see in 4 and 5 yr olds.

I'm advising my guys to really look at skulls this year (blocky and wedge shaped). Skulls don't lie.

Last edited by TxAg; 10/07/16 02:38 PM.
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485013 10/07/16 02:00 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
As long as they are legal im happy. gonna eat em anyway. lol

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485016 10/07/16 02:03 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Don't think it will be an issue in our area. We had a wet spring, but it turned off and we have had a pretty dry summer with one pocket of good rain. Browse/brush is holding strong but grass etc. is dormant and brown, tank is dry.

More to age than just how fat they are. Looking at other features than their waistline shouldn't change much.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485032 10/07/16 02:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
When did they put age restrictions on the tags on our license? Now we are going to tell people what they can and can not shoot based off an age? Age classes vary around the state by a lot. What is old to me might not be old to you. Like posted above me, there is much more to look at than how fat a deer is this time of the year. A 5 yr old deer is still a 5 yr old deer. If you want to call him older then go for it, if you want to call him younger then go for it. In the end he can only be what age he is not what you or I want him to be.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485034 10/07/16 02:11 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Good point.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485066 10/07/16 02:29 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Give him another year and let him walk! bolt

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: stxranchman] #6485067 10/07/16 02:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
When did they put age restrictions on the tags on our license?

I guarantee you when me and my friends started hunting age meant nothing. I'm sure it will be the same for my boy and my nephews up

It's hell eatin em live
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485068 10/07/16 02:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Wait for it.....

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485128 10/07/16 02:58 PM
J
JH117 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
When I first started hunting 3 yrs ago I was all wrapped up in age and score. Hell it took me all season to shoot one because I was waiting on a mature buck to show. Ended up taking a six point one week before the season ended! Now I don't really care all that much. As long as it makes happy I'm good. Don't get me wrong, I would love to shoot a big 6 year old 10 pointer scoring 170 but in the end I'm gonna end up eating it anyway.

Last edited by JH117; 10/07/16 03:00 PM.
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6485134 10/07/16 03:00 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
It will be much easier to judge in a month, once they've coated-in and swollen up for the rut. The good news is that the fawn crop from last year should have gotten a good jump, and the does ought to be in great breeding shape, leading to a healthy fawn crop of replacements next spring.

This, just yesterday the wife and I where looking at fawns on TC photos, they already look better than the crop last year, fat and playful. Enough so, she even noticed how good they are looking.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485135 10/07/16 03:01 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Old enough to breed, old enough to bleed

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: kdkane1971] #6485149 10/07/16 03:10 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Ive heard that statement said the other way too eeks333

It's hell eatin em live
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: JH117] #6485157 10/07/16 03:14 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: JH117
As long as it makes happy I'm good. Don't get me wrong, I would love to shoot a big 6 year old 10 pointer scoring 170 but in the end I'm gonna end up eating it anyway.

You hunt long enough you will. You also have to remember that you have to hunt where those trophies exist, and most people don't hunt where they exist.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: redchevy] #6485167 10/07/16 03:19 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: redchevy

first time I heard it, it was reversed and I knew I was too young to be at the back of the bus.

Last edited by jshouse; 10/07/16 03:19 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: stxranchman] #6485197 10/07/16 03:39 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
When did they put age restrictions on the tags on our license? Now we are going to tell people what they can and can not shoot based off an age? Age classes vary around the state by a lot. What is old to me might not be old to you. Like posted above me, there is much more to look at than how fat a deer is this time of the year. A 5 yr old deer is still a 5 yr old deer. If you want to call him older then go for it, if you want to call him younger then go for it. In the end he can only be what age he is not what you or I want him to be.

Eventually you get tired of shooting 120inch deer. And you save a tag for a big buck. all those young deer could be amazing trophies if people will let them grow. The original poster gets this. Most people who have hunted a while do. If your not at his level yet it's ok but don't come down on him. He had made a good point. The more mature deer get the bigger they get. once you've killed a bunch of average deer you want something more. It changes the game.

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: redchevy] #6485220 10/07/16 03:54 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

Yep

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: Wacm] #6485228 10/07/16 04:00 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Wacm

Eventually you get tired of shooting 120inch deer. And you save a tag for a big buck. all those young deer could be amazing trophies if people will let them grow. The original poster gets this. Most people who have hunted a while do. If your not at his level yet it's ok but don't come down on him. He had made a good point. The more mature deer get the bigger they get. once you've killed a bunch of average deer you want something more. It changes the game.

I hunted 31 years before I took a buck over 115", and it was a damn long wait. Good neighbors with a mgt plan, and getting our own plan and mostly sticking to it, I've taken 3 in the last 6 years and there should be a good one out there this year. I get that for some people it won't be a big deal but for a majority of hunters it really is. As STX says, it changes the game.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: Wacm] #6485233 10/07/16 04:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I never get tired of killing the older and best deer in the area I am hunting. Notice I said older and best deer because some areas will never have a mature 5 yr old or older buck. I consider a "trophy" to be what a trophy is for the area he was killed in and not how big his head gear is. I have killed a few deer in my life and I have a "few" hanging on the walls of my house. up I get "it" and we agree on a lot more than you realizecheers His point was to puff his chest about him aging "his"(he does not own them) differently cause he has history on them. He just thinks he is correct when everyone else is wrong. His post was not about letting deer age more than to rub it in the face of a lot of folks on here who he do not agree with on ages they post. I age deer the way I see them and have been aging deer on the hoof since around 1991. Am I right 100% of the time? No. I am right a lot of them time, yes. I see things on bucks as they age and pay attention to them. Those things vary from region to region in the state. Not every buck that is 5 yrs old has the same body shape or size. I have killed deer that I thought were 4-5 yrs old only to find they had no teeth left and post mature on age. Their body looked like a younger buck and they weighed much less than a buck their age class should have weighed. Bucks of the same age within any given herd in any region will look different. A lot will look like cookie cutters that all look the age they are. I made a list one time of the things I look at when a buck walks in and that list had close to 40 things I reference for age. The one thing that was not on that list was antler size. I looked at that after I decided how old he was. There are a lot guys on here that can age deer from a picture.

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: stxranchman] #6485262 10/07/16 04:25 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

I never get tired of killing the older and best deer in the area I am hunting. Notice I said older and best deer because some areas will never have a mature 5 yr old or older buck. I consider a "trophy" to be what a trophy is for the area he was killed in and not how big his head gear is. I have killed a few deer in my life and I have a "few" hanging on the walls of my house. up I get "it" and we agree on a lot more than you realizecheers His point was to puff his chest about him aging "his"(he does not own them) differently cause he has history on them. He just thinks he is correct when everyone else is wrong. His post was not about letting deer age more than to rub it in the face of a lot of folks on here who he do not agree with on ages they post. I age deer the way I see them and have been aging deer on the hoof since around 1991. Am I right 100% of the time? No. I am right a lot of them time, yes. I see things on bucks as they age and pay attention to them. Those things vary from region to region in the state. Not every buck that is 5 yrs old has the same body shape or size. I have killed deer that I thought were 4-5 yrs old only to find they had no teeth left and post mature on age. Their body looked like a younger buck and they weighed much less than a buck their age class should have weighed. Bucks of the same age within any given herd in any region will look different. A lot will look like cookie cutters that all look the age they are. I made a list one time of the things I look at when a buck walks in and that list had close to 40 things I reference for age. The one thing that was not on that list was antler size. I looked at that after I decided how old he was. There are a lot guys on here that can age deer from a picture.

I don't guess I took it that way. Seemed to me he was just expressing his opinion. A lot of things don't matter to me anymore anyway. 2cents

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485294 10/07/16 04:47 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Last year I saw a 10 pointer that I don't think was over 18 months. Had a hard time realizing such a young deer would have a rack like that. I let him walk with the thought of how much better he would be if he was older...saw him maybe 2 more times and that was it. I would like to think he is still out there but having other hunters on 3 sides I doubt I will ever see him again. But maybe....

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485314 10/07/16 05:02 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
If your out for horns then yes let em get some age on em. Now i used to kill em if it was legal and i prefered a young buck or doe. Now im old and aint got no teeth and willing to wait on something bigger and tuffer to eat. grin

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: therancher] #6485326 10/07/16 05:13 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I truly hope the hunters I have coming will shoot any buck they see. Be it young or old. I just need to reduce numbers. I could give a rats rear end if it is 1.5 or 8.5 years old.

Re: So many young bucks will be shot this year. [Re: kdkane1971] #6485371 10/07/16 05:57 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Yep

Y'all east TX folks just keep that stuff to yourselves bolt