Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485144 10/07/16 03:08 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Right, wrong or sideways, I'd blast the snot out of those radios...

Re: How Close [Re: ZK-315] #6485145 10/07/16 03:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Maybe his tire was running a little low on his pickup. I didn't know airing up tires was hunter harassment. I guess mowing the lawn is too then? Oh wait, I guess cutting firewood is also. SMH. It's called a joke.

No, it is called normal activity around ones home. One man chose where to put his house and one guy chose where to put his stand. Both will have to live with the activity that occurs from this point on.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. I was more or less being a smart arse in my original post

I knew what you meant by your post. I was just clarifying my post.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How Close [Re: krmitchell] #6485158 10/07/16 03:15 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Have a friend that had this problem on one of his fence lines. He wired transistor radios to his high fence adjacent to every one of the crappy neighbor's stands or feeders, which were 20 ft - 50ft the other side of the high fence. He tuned them all to a Mexican radio station and turned the volume on max. He then purchased a couple cases of batteries and had his ranchero check the radios every day and replace the batteries as needed. Within three weeks, these "hunters" had moved all of their stands and feeders several hundred yards from the fence line.

That will get you a visit from the GW and I can almost guarantee you a ride to jail.

Well, it didn't. And I will guarantee you that no GW in Texas would take this gentleman to jail.

Re: How Close [Re: swmays] #6485162 10/07/16 03:17 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: swmays

Would you put your stand 20 feet from your neighbor's fence without permission? And you would be shooting across a property line.

Re: How Close [Re: fouzman] #6485163 10/07/16 03:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Have a friend that had this problem on one of his fence lines. He wired transistor radios to his high fence adjacent to every one of the crappy neighbor's stands or feeders, which were 20 ft - 50ft the other side of the high fence. He tuned them all to a Mexican radio station and turned the volume on max. He then purchased a couple cases of batteries and had his ranchero check the radios every day and replace the batteries as needed. Within three weeks, these "hunters" had moved all of their stands and feeders several hundred yards from the fence line.

That will get you a visit from the GW and I can almost guarantee you a ride to jail.

Well, it didn't. And I will guarantee you that no GW in Texas would take this gentleman to jail.

scratch So he is above the letter of the law?

Re: How Close [Re: fouzman] #6485169 10/07/16 03:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Would you put your stand 20 feet from your neighbor's fence without permission? And you would be shooting across a property line.

I would not need his permission to do what I wanted on my land and they on their land. I don't have a blind or stand on the fence but would have no issue if someone did it on their side. Just as they should have no issue if I decided to put up a HF on my side. If they put a blind on the fence then they should have no issue with my driving down that fence line like if I chose to everyday.

Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485173 10/07/16 03:25 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
No one is above the letter of the law. But some are just better connected than most.

Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485195 10/07/16 03:37 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Unless the neighbor shoots in your direction or otherwise endangers you or your family, I'd just forget about it and go on about my business. Certainly it is in poor taste and inconsiderate for him to do this, but if you can't change the situation your best course of action is to just live with it.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: How Close [Re: fouzman] #6485201 10/07/16 03:40 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

In a heart beat if it was a high fence (which you state it was). Why not if it makes sense on my side...

Re: How Close [Re: Creedmoor] #6485212 10/07/16 03:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
Unless the neighbor shoots in your direction or otherwise endangers you or your family, I'd just forget about it and go on about my business. Certainly it is in poor taste and inconsiderate for him to do this, but if you can't change the situation your best course of action is to just live with it.

It is poor taste and not neighborly. I agree as long as you do not alter or change your daily or seasonal routines and activities to harass them. It is not harassment if you are doing things any day that would normally or routinely do. A radio on the just put on the fence is not normal, but a radio playing daily with outside speakers in the backyard would be normal. If your or my daily routine is bothering your hunts in a newly placed blind then you have to live with it or move your stand.

Re: How Close [Re: fouzman] #6485239 10/07/16 04:03 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
No one is above the letter of the law. But some are just better connected than most.

This is very true. I saw it happen. A warden was going to take some young out of state hunters on our place to jail and the landowner came up and told him he wasn't taking anyone to jail. The warden told him that he was and he may take him to jail too if he didn't stand down.
The landowner made a phone call and handed the phone to the warden. The warden hung up the phone loaded up and drove off. I was impressed.

Re: How Close [Re: stxranchman] #6485256 10/07/16 04:21 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

It is poor taste and not neighborly. I agree as long as you do not alter or change your daily or seasonal routines and activities to harass them. It is not harassment if you are doing things any day that would normally or routinely do. A radio on the just put on the fence is not normal, but a radio playing daily with outside speakers in the backyard would be normal. If your or my daily routine is bothering your hunts in a newly placed blind then you have to live with it or move your stand.

I think you missed my point. wink

There's nothing he can do about it except worry himself batty. Sure, if he wants to be combative and play radios, mow lawns, etc he is certainly in his rights to do so. But I've learned over my 62 years that adding another azzhole to the mix just leaves you with 2 azzholes. And the original azzhole is still there ......

I prefer to ignore this type of nuisance and not allow it to waste my time or energy if it isn't illegal or dangerous. Especially if I can't do anything about it. Just file it away and hope the neighbor asks for assistance some day in the future.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485271 10/07/16 04:33 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Talk to a game warden about this.

Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485275 10/07/16 04:34 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Would you put your stand 20 feet from your neighbor's fence without permission?

One doesn't need permission to put a stand on their own property, even right by the fence.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485291 10/07/16 04:44 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I wish a neighbor would set up a feeder next to my house. That way I could shoot them them from the kitchen window when they headed to his feeder and I wouldn't have to buy any corn to fill mine.

Re: How Close [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6485361 10/07/16 05:41 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

One doesn't need permission to put a stand on their own property, even right by the fence.

It's not about permission. It's about common sense and being an ethical hunter and good neighbor. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. Golden rule. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Re: How Close [Re: Creedmoor] #6485512 10/07/16 07:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I think you missed my point. wink

There's nothing he can do about it except worry himself batty. Sure, if he wants to be combative and play radios, mow lawns, etc he is certainly in his rights to do so. But I've learned over my 62 years that adding another azzhole to the mix just leaves you with 2 azzholes. And the original azzhole is still there ......

I prefer to ignore this type of nuisance and not allow it to waste my time or energy if it isn't illegal or dangerous. Especially if I can't do anything about it. Just file it away and hope the neighbor asks for assistance some day in the future.

No sir I got your point but think you missed mine. I would not change my day to day routine if someone put up a blind close to my house or on my fence. I would not worry or loose any sleep at all. I am not but a couple of years younger than you are also. I consider myself a good neighbor and have good neighbors around me.

Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6485529 10/07/16 08:09 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
up

Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6487689 10/09/16 04:39 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
It is not harassment if you happen to do "normal things" that are loud. That is a really hard thing to prove AND most game wardens are smart enough to know the difference.

Would I set up a motion detector to start an engine when movement is detected? Nah, but if you want, put in a high fence all along that side. Can't shoot there if nothing can make it there. Spray deer repellent regularly along that fence line. Lots of things you can do to make things not want to go to that area.

You also could take a totally new approach and build a really nice deer stand and give it to the neighbor as a way of saying, "I know you like that spot, but I would feel safer if it was not so close. So, I built you a nice deer stand. Maybe I could help you place it elsewhere for your trouble?"

Tons of ways to make a friend and be a good neighbor and win them over.

If that fails, tons of ways to make that area less desirable.

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6487707 10/09/16 04:51 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That side of the OP's house looks like a great place to put his new pistol range. And practice, practice, practice...

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: How Close [Re: fouzman] #6487841 10/09/16 06:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

It's not about permission. It's about common sense and being an ethical hunter and good neighbor. Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. Golden rule. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

You were the you who indicated you had to get permission. You stated it clearly.

Funny thing about common sense is that it isn't common and often isn't sensible. Funny how common sense often seems to be in the eye of the beholder. That is why we have laws.

I don't have a problem with a neighbor putting a stand near the fence. So long as his shots don't cross the property line, there is no problem - common sense.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6488074 10/09/16 10:29 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
I know of more than one GW that've written tickets to folks for running ATVs and chainsaws on fence lines with the intent of bothering hunters. There's a fine line between going about your own business mowing your lawn on Saturday versus intentional hunter harassment. Game Wardens are getting good at gathering video evidence and the Judges are backing them.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: How Close [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6488851 10/10/16 01:18 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

You were the you who indicated you had to get permission. You stated it clearly.

Funny thing about common sense is that it isn't common and often isn't sensible. Funny how common sense often seems to be in the eye of the beholder. That is why we have laws.

I don't have a problem with a neighbor putting a stand near the fence. So long as his shots don't cross the property line, there is no problem - common sense.

I didn't indicate you HAD to get permission. I asked if someone would put up the stand without the neighbor's permission. As in, without first talking to the neighbor. Common sense, common courtesy ya know? I guess that's why you need a law to spell it out for you.

Re: How Close [Re: mikeydon] #6488919 10/10/16 02:17 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Your reply regarding permission was to me. And it was with regards to a high fence. No need for permission and no violation of common sense to put a stand right next to a high fence. Some may disagree, but considering there's a game proof barrier I see no issue.

Low fence is a different story. A stand next to a boundary line / low fence can be aggravating. So yes, common sense and a conversation could mitigate the aggravation.

Re: How Close [Re: dkershen] #6488978 10/10/16 02:56 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: dkershen
I know of more than one GW that've written tickets to folks for running ATVs and chainsaws on fence lines with the intent of bothering hunters. There's a fine line between going about your own business mowing your lawn on Saturday versus intentional hunter harassment. Game Wardens are getting good at gathering video evidence and the Judges are backing them.

If you are intentionally going out of the way to be a turd then sure. We have neighbors that put three blinds along our fenceline. Just so happens we have a road there that we periodically use to go to and from our stands. I'm not about to stop using a road because of where they placed their feeders. No GW is going to ticket someone for doing that. It might be different if I sat there doing donuts in next to their stand opening morning but just driving? I don't think so. In reference to the OP, he put a blind up next to his house, not the other side of the property. Anything you would normally do around your house on any given day is fair game and no GW or judge is going to ticket/convict you of going about your business.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide