Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bow hunting is truly humbling #6479020 10/03/16 09:39 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Hunted all my life with a rifle, never missed until I was well into my teens and then it was only trying head/neck shots

Started bow hunting, that went right out the window. I can drill silver dollars at 20 yards but give me a live animal and I have hell

Just had a group of gobblers come into the feeder, 20 yards, drew back, got too excited, rushed the shot and whiffed

Did get his buddy though, corn buzzard down!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479024 10/03/16 09:42 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Live target practice is always good cheers

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479026 10/03/16 09:42 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've been drilling my practice shots very consistently. First ever shot at anything alive Sunday morning had a big doe at about 15 yards. Calm as a cucumber.... put my finger on the release and I had a mini grand mall seizure. Whiffed the shot... by a mile it felt like bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479049 10/03/16 09:47 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A wise man suggested I set my feeders to go off twice per set.

Glad I listened I got the bird and the arrow now back in the stand. 30 min till second feeding

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479084 10/03/16 10:10 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Good luck!

Post pics!

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479458 10/04/16 01:38 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Well what happened after the corn buzzard went down? popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479467 10/04/16 01:43 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
clap Thats what you call a "good miss"

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txshntr] #6479493 10/04/16 01:58 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
clap Thats what you call a "good miss"

No that is what you calling lining them up for skillet shot and missing high bolt

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: stxranchman] #6479562 10/04/16 02:45 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Well what happened after the corn buzzard went down? popcorn

Well, the feeder went off for the second time, that one doe I was telling you about showed up, offered no shot then circled the blind and snorted and stomped and ran off

Then more corn buzzards showed up. Another went down

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479583 10/04/16 02:59 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don't have that issue until it's a nice buck. Shot a doe last night at 20 yards. Drew up, picked a spot, squeezed the release and followed through. She dropped right tbere. Crawled 10 feet and bled out in about 60 seconds. Big buck I get a little adrenaline rush but I just focus on my form and the spot.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479768 10/04/16 11:41 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
You're not alone in that. We had a few hunters make some bad shots at close ranges, but could shoot practice targets just fine.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: Curtis] #6479770 10/04/16 11:46 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Curtis
You're not alone in that. We had a few hunters make some bad shots at close ranges, but could shoot practice targets just fine.

I'm just rushing the shots and not following thru

Need to practice that more, accuracy is not my issue its the follow thru

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6479989 10/04/16 02:16 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Age and experience help. I'm pretty sure when I finally feel comfortable enough with my recurve to hunt I will feel the humility bug in a whole new way.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6480029 10/04/16 02:39 PM
M
mooney_ag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
My first bow buck is still running around Goldthwaite somewhere. I was so worried about lining up the perfect shot and placement that I forgot to set my anchor. Luckily, I missed bad and only hit some rocks. For me, I need to set a pre-shot routine into my practice targets to develop a mental checklist for game time so I can methodically prepare and make the shot to prevent or reduce that adrenaline surge looking at a live target. 2nd deer which was a doe is in my freezer. That works for me. Will see if a nice buck ever gets back into range.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6480707 10/04/16 08:36 PM
L
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Well fortunately those of you that took a shot missed. I've been bowhunting for the past 10 years and have taken a number of deer mostly does and one buck the year prior. I had the largest buck I've seen on the property come around with his buddy Saturday evening - right at 7:06 PM. Both bucks were awesome, typical 10 pt and the the other was at least a 10 pt, both 4.5-5.5 YO, the one I wanted had some gnarly headgear - a few kickers and a split brow.

I could feel the adrenaline kick in with the dreaded buck fever happening. I was shaking like a leaf that I could barely keep the arrow on the rest. After a few deep breathes and focusing on the target I settled down. The buck I targeted was 26 yards out, broadside. Easy shot. I consistently group 20 - 30 yard shots a thousand times. I set the 30 yard pin on the back shoulder and released the arrow. Mistake 1 & 2, using the 30 yrd pin and aiming at where he was and not taking in to account he was in between 20 and 30 yards. Mistake 3. The buck jumped the string, and the arrow lodged high and back, right in to the backstrap. He ran off like a dart with the arrow in his back.

Needless to say, I'm just sick with the thought of what I did. I didn't take in to account the potential of a drop. But I also think I pulled the shot as well. I'm praying that he survives and I'll get another shot at him. I've read from other accounts that there is a high likelihood based on where I shot him, that he'll probably survived or could possibly die from infection. I searched nearly 600 yards in the direction he headed as well as the opposite direction the following day and no blood. I'm heading out there on Friday to see if he shows up on camera, but to say the least I'm humbled, saddened, disgusted and mad about the situation. The whole event continues to replay in my mind. I'm done with bowhunting for this season.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: Las Colinas Hunter] #6480769 10/04/16 09:06 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter
Well fortunately those of you that took a shot missed. I've been bowhunting for the past 10 years and have taken a number of deer mostly does and one buck the year prior. I had the largest buck I've seen on the property come around with his buddy Saturday evening - right at 7:06 PM. Both bucks were awesome, typical 10 pt and the the other was at least a 10 pt, both 4.5-5.5 YO, the one I wanted had some gnarly headgear - a few kickers and a split brow.

I could feel the adrenaline kick in with the dreaded buck fever happening. I was shaking like a leaf that I could barely keep the arrow on the rest. After a few deep breathes and focusing on the target I settled down. The buck I targeted was 26 yards out, broadside. Easy shot. I consistently group 20 - 30 yard shots a thousand times. I set the 30 yard pin on the back shoulder and released the arrow. Mistake 1 & 2, using the 30 yrd pin and aiming at where he was and not taking in to account he was in between 20 and 30 yards. Mistake 3. The buck jumped the string, and the arrow lodged high and back, right in to the backstrap. He ran off like a dart with the arrow in his back.

Needless to say, I'm just sick with the thought of what I did. I didn't take in to account the potential of a drop. But I also think I pulled the shot as well. I'm praying that he survives and I'll get another shot at him. I've read from other accounts that there is a high likelihood based on where I shot him, that he'll probably survived or could possibly die from infection. I searched nearly 600 yards in the direction he headed as well as the opposite direction the following day and no blood. I'm heading out there on Friday to see if he shows up on camera, but to say the least I'm humbled, saddened, disgusted and mad about the situation. The whole event continues to replay in my mind. I'm done with bowhunting for this season.

I did the exact same thing on a large boar hog a few years back. arrow stuck in him about 4" and he ran off.

the next morning I took a shot at a javalina that was quartering towards me, and hit him in the jaw and he ran off.

not proud of it but taught me to take my time (somewhat, I still get nervous and rush things) the next animal I shot (deer) I watched for 5 min and was very comfortable and relaxed when I shot, hit him right where I was aiming and he didn't go 30 yards.

Its a trial and error sport. don't give up I bet that buck lives.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: Las Colinas Hunter] #6480781 10/04/16 09:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

I hit a buck high in the top of the shoulder blade and watched him run off, stop and take off. I do not know if he ducked the arrow I just made a bad shot. I Looked for 3 hours for him. He was a nice Hill Country 9 pt that season. Six weeks later he was back at the same feeder with a doe at the end of the rut. Was thin and could see the scar on the upper shoulder blade. He made the season and I killed him the next season at the same feeder with a better shot. He went 35 yards and was dead. He was now a 5x5. When I cleaned him there was no sign of the old wound or shot. I was 100% sure it was the same buck by his coat and face color.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6480814 10/04/16 09:28 PM
L
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
That's great to hear. Deer are pretty resilient animals.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6481216 10/05/16 01:51 AM
C
cva34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Humbling is the word..It will separate the Hunters from the Boys..

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6481685 10/05/16 01:52 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I see. Well, the one guy we had out here a few months ago was blowing nocks off his arrows at 60 yards and messed up on his shot at 35. Another shot he took went over an axis doe. Following through is important. You will get back into it, I'm sure. If you sitting in your blind when you shoot(some are standing, don't know your situation) maybe take a few practice shots sitting as well. I have seen that set some people off sometimes. Either gets them off balance or they are just not used to the feel of sitting and shooting and get to thinking about something else. Make one little change and it can set everything off.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6482501 10/05/16 09:34 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I live by a few codes in my life and one of them is experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want-I feel like with bow hunting I am always learning something new after each shot and trying to reapply it in practice but practice is never the same as the real thing - I have missed some shots I wish I could redo and will share my best one with you but I can tell you what has helped me is get real comfortable shooting no matter if you’re sitting, standing, on your knees, legs together, legs apart, whatever do it all- I find it’s a confidence game the more I have the better I do- also draw your bow and hold it back for longer than normal when you practice- I can’t tell you how many times I draw back then the animal moves and I have to keep it drawn back a lot longer than I do in practice also this year to get me even more ready I got a 3d target- shooting a nice big target is great you won’t lose arrows if you have a woops but with a 3d will really help you make sure you know where to aim and it feels more real again all about confidence

my first bow shot on a live animal was the biggest buck I have seen while hunting to data- I had practiced sitting down standing up, everything I could think of- I was doing a spot and stalk with a guide in south TX and we were stalking a nice 8 point that was with 2 does eating corn off a road we had corned that afternoon- we crawl and get 25 yards and I draw back while on my knees and as I am getting set the does and buck lift their heads and look into the tree line on the side of the road the guide and I are sitting and then buck bolts and the does start trotting towards us- as the does start coming towards us down the middle of that dirt road, we see what made that buck I was about to shoot run off- out steps this huge 8, like something out of TV I can still remember he was so wide and his antlers were so thick he was amazing-he has his noise to the ground chasing the does, it’s looking like it’s going to work out for me great he has his noise down only thinking about these does and I hear the guide telling me the yardage as all 3 are getting closer- after 10 yards the guide figured out I didn’t need him to tell me they were even closer than that but I couldn’t get a clear shot on the buck and none of them had stopped moving but all of the sudden when the does are 5 yards away at max they turn right at us to go into the woods not knowing we are there, me on my knees still bow still drawn back and when the 2 does do notice us at 5 yards they freak and run, one takes off to the left the other to the right and in the middle is that buck and he is staring right at me - when the does spooked and ran like that it made me kind of flinch and at this point my whole upper body is burning- from having to hold the bow drawn back for this long being in the awkward position body twisted in a funny but I get back on that buck put it dead center chest and release- well while I release he starts turning and ducking to run off and that arrow that was going dead center is now hitting a shoulder blade but didn’t go in, instead it deflected off the shoulder blade not doing any real damage- I missed the biggest buck I have seen to date at 5 yards but it’s also the most amazing hunt I have ever been on and really sums up why I love bow hunting so much

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6482530 10/05/16 09:53 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Great story and it's more common than not when the deer wins.
I've always believed that you have to pay your dues and when you finally score it's the best feeling of accomplishment there is.
I don't understand folks who think it's as easy a just picking up a stick and string shoot a few arrows into a still target and then head to the woods and call themselves a bowhunter.
It's not fair to the animal and really shows disrespect for the animal. Chances are they aren't going to be a bowhunter for very long and the animal will pay the price.
I'm off my soapbox now!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6482656 10/05/16 11:15 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your not the only one I promise. I try to watch what ever critter as long as I can to settle myself down.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: Curtis] #6482835 10/06/16 01:09 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I see. Well, the one guy we had out here a few months ago was blowing nocks off his arrows at 60 yards and messed up on his shot at 35. Another shot he took went over an axis doe. Following through is important. You will get back into it, I'm sure. If you sitting in your blind when you shoot(some are standing, don't know your situation) maybe take a few practice shots sitting as well. I have seen that set some people off sometimes. Either gets them off balance or they are just not used to the feel of sitting and shooting and get to thinking about something else. Make one little change and it can set everything off.

Hmmm, good point. I shoot sitting in the blind but standing when practicing

That and I think maybe shooting a 3D target will help.

Re: Bow hunting is truly humbling [Re: txtrophy85] #6482897 10/06/16 01:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Hmmm, good point. I shoot sitting in the blind but standing when practicing

That and I think maybe shooting a 3D target will help.

How high off the ground is your stand?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide