6247894 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6479728 - 10/04/16 05:31 AM Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill
TX.Hunter.K.Lewis Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Haslet, Texas
I know this may sound strange, but what do you do with the dead Coyote once you killed it if you are hunting on Public Land? Do you guys eat them? Take them someplace? Tag them? I know with Hogs and Deer and other animals they are cleaned and eaten. But Coyotes? Bobcats?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

--- 1/9 Twist, 16 Inch Wylde Chamber Bushmaster Upper with BCG and Charging Handle 250 dollars
--- Slide Fire stock for AR RH 75 dollars

--- PM me if interested or make an offer

#6480478 - 10/04/16 01:49 PM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
dogdown23 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: TX
Coyotes are excellent eating. Try one and report back to us.

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.

#6480753 - 10/04/16 03:59 PM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: dogdown23]
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Pottsboro Tx.
Originally Posted By: dogdown23
Coyotes are excellent eating. Try one and report back to us.

Yes, but only chicken fried. I tried slow cooking them, but they taste too doggy. Like a striper with the red meat in it, is fishy tasting.
Edit: Sorry mate, I just read your disclaimer. I wouldn't really want you to try eating one, lol. Just skin him and chunk him in a ditch...or find a good fence to hang him from by the hind legs, skin and all.

Edited by d.g.ruff (10/04/16 04:02 PM)

#6480809 - 10/04/16 04:23 PM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
yotehater Offline
Outdoorsman

Really good breakfast tacos. Tastes like chicken.

#6481026 - 10/04/16 06:39 PM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
cm250 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bells Texas,Grayson County
Ya'll are cruel.. dead yote equals buzzard food. Work as hard as I can to keep the buzzards fed!!!!!
Glock 23 40 cal
Foxpro 416B & numerous hand calls
God would never send Firefighters to Hell because we would put the fire out!

#6481327 - 10/04/16 09:44 PM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: cm250]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: cm250
Ya'll are cruel.. dead yote equals buzzard food. Work as hard as I can to keep the buzzards fed!!!!!

up

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#6481461 - 10/05/16 12:52 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: dogcatcher]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: cm250

up

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6481472 - 10/05/16 02:58 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis
I know this may sound strange, but what do you do with the dead Coyote once you killed it if you are hunting on Public Land? Do you guys eat them? Take them someplace? Tag them? I know with Hogs and Deer and other animals they are cleaned and eaten. But Coyotes? Bobcats?

Thanks in advance.

Ignore the peanut gallory rofl

Most people do not eat varmints, though we have had a few threads of someone eating a bobcat...Most people leave them in the field or hang them on a fence. With varmints such as coyotes and bobcats, most people kill them because they kill game animals and left unchecked can cause a problem.

Personally, I will not kill a bobcat unless I want to mount it or I am actually out calling for them, but will shoot every coyote I see.

Good luck and welcome

#6481476 - 10/05/16 04:35 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
Light Foot

I was hoping people were joking about the eating.... smile

Prior to trying to hunt Coyotes I am trying to get all the details from before - during - and after. The last thing I want to do is do something stupid, even after. I had no intention of eating one, and not sure if I would mount it either. Honestly, the only reason that hunting them interested me in the first place was I read that they are kind of a shoot on sight predator at the moment along with Bobcats and Mountain Lions. (Just what I read - no first hand information)

Question on the leaving them in the field, do you still have to field dress them?
Also, about the mounting. Say I did shoot one and wanted to have it mounted. Would I have to clean and gut it myself in the field or is there someone or someplace that does that for you for a fee?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

--- 1/9 Twist, 16 Inch Wylde Chamber Bushmaster Upper with BCG and Charging Handle 250 dollars

#6481554 - 10/05/16 07:22 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Best thing to do is find a good taxidermist close to you and ask them how they'd prefer you bring one in to be mounted, some would rather do it themselves to get it right, coyotes can be a pita to skin out, especially if you haven't done one before. They may just tell you to bag it and freeze, or bring in quickly.

You don't want to bag it until just going into the freezer since it will trap heat.

Most folks shoot a coyote, maybe take a few photos and that's it..

BTW, sometimes they are covered in fleas, so avoid the huggin photos grin

Dennis

#6481693 - 10/05/16 08:56 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
Light Foot

Ugh didn't even think of the Fleas part haha. I guess a few pair of Latex Gloves in my backpack wouldn't hurt. Good info on the Trapping of Heat thing. I wasn't aware of that either. I'll call around and see what I can find someone local to where I'll be hunting.

Kevin

#6481871 - 10/05/16 10:27 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: txshntr]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Thanks in advance.

Ignore the peanut gallory rofl

Most people do not eat varmints, though we have had a few threads of someone eating a bobcat...Most people leave them in the field or hang them on a fence. With varmints such as coyotes and bobcats, most people kill them because they kill game animals and left unchecked can cause a problem.

Personally, I will not kill a bobcat unless I want to mount it or I am actually out calling for them, but will shoot every coyote I see.

Good luck and welcome
I give bob's & fox a psss

#6481951 - 10/05/16 11:08 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Ugh didn't even think of the Fleas part haha. I guess a few pair of Latex Gloves in my backpack wouldn't hurt. Good info on the Trapping of Heat thing. I wasn't aware of that either. I'll call around and see what I can find someone local to where I'll be hunting.

Find a taxidermist that you like, has good references and does good work, even if you have to drive.

If you post a thread looking for reputable taxidermist in your area, folks will chime in and give you leads. You can also see some work in the Taxidermy section here on THF

Dennis

#6482729 - 10/05/16 07:05 PM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Denton County
Check on the cost, I was going to have a bob cat done with just a cape, over $500. Not worth it to me. A yote could cost that and that wasn't even mounted.

#6485245 - 10/07/16 11:10 AM Re: Coyote Hunting Question / After the Kill [Re: TX.Hunter.K.Lewis]
Sirrah243 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Llano County TX
Carry a trash sack and flea and tick spary in my back pack. Put the dead yote, cat, coon, whatever it may be into the sack. Spary a liberal amount of flea and tick spary into the sack and twist the top shut. Set the sack aside for 10 min or so. Hang the animal from a tree branck using a dog choke collar and skin while its stil warm. (It's much easier when they'er still warm) Roll the hide from nose to tail and put it back in the sack. leave the carcas for the buzzards. Carry on, reepat and continue untill your heart in content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide