Forum Stats
60446 Members
45 Forums
475881 Topics
6242780 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6478911 - 10/03/16 03:40 PM So will this be the year...
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

when you finally stop making the same deer hunting mistakes you've been making for years on end?

Before every season, I always tell myself to stop over hunting the same stand and keep more of a rotation. And yet for some reason, I keep ending the season having never hunted several stands, while going back to the same few.

Spring, Texas

#6478963 - 10/03/16 04:06 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Like not huntin over a feeder in east Texas? I know better, and keep saying im not gonna do it, but I always end up huntin there. bang

#6478966 - 10/03/16 04:10 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Melissa, TX
Game cameras might help you in getting on the right stand. My experience has been that the Bucks hit the ones that the does frequent most.

#6478994 - 10/03/16 04:26 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: rickym]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: rickym
Like not huntin over a feeder in east Texas? I know better, and keep saying im not gonna do it, but I always end up huntin there. bang

It's my food plot that I hunt too often.

I also tend to stay with stand sites that have a more attractive view of the surroundings. It just seems easier to pass the time when you have more to look at while you're waiting for something to show up.

I find watching a feeder extremely boring with little sense of achievement. On the flip side, nothing is more exciting than seeing a deer in an area where you did nothing more than decide it was a good spot to throw up a stand.

Spring, Texas

#6479011 - 10/03/16 04:32 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
THF Celebrity

I suspect more mid-day hunting is another thing many hunters fail to do every season, even though they had the best intentions to do otherwise.

Spring, Texas

#6479039 - 10/03/16 04:44 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I suspect more mid-day hunting is another thing many hunters fail to do every season, even though they had the best intentions to do otherwise.
this

#6479050 - 10/03/16 04:47 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
PMK Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
taking does earlier ... I tend to wait very late in the season and then they are few and far between.

~PMK~

#6479066 - 10/03/16 04:58 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

I am going to stop rushing shots with my bow.

#6479068 - 10/03/16 05:00 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

when you finally stop making the same deer hunting mistakes you've been making for years on end?

Before every season, I always tell myself to stop over hunting the same stand and keep more of a rotation. And yet for some reason, I keep ending the season having never hunted several stands, while going back to the same few.

I always hunt the same few stands. When I was guiding I only hunted 2, after a few years I added two more to the rotation

Made big tip money on the original two stands. I'd hunt one 80% of the time

#6479116 - 10/03/16 05:25 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: PMK]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: PMK
taking does earlier ... I tend to wait very late in the season and then they are few and far between.

In addition to passing on doe, doing the same with wild pigs is another one that I must change this coming season. As the case with doe, you hate to mess up a hunt by killing a hog, even though every one of them deserves hot lead poison.

Spring, Texas

#6479166 - 10/03/16 05:54 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
I'm going to pull the trigger this year.

#6479223 - 10/03/16 06:27 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: rifleman]
rattler03 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
Originally Posted By: rifleman

same here ... I've shot does the last 2 seasons after not really having a place to hunt for 3 seasons. This season if I get the opportunity to drop the hammer on a buck, I'm going to do it. I know a lot of folks won't agree with me on this one, but I'm not going through another season passing on a buck just because I think he's 4.5 years old. I've done that each of the last 2 seasons, and I only saw that deer once each year, never to see a buck worth even thinking about shooting for the rest of the season. I'm beginning to think that taking management "too seriously" is diminishing the enjoyment I get out of hunting. I'm not saying folks that hunt that way are wrong, but right now in my life I'm just not to the point where I can go multiple years passing on deer I really want to shoot only to come home empty handed. Maybe someday I'll get there, but I just don't think I'm there yet.
-Robert Earl Keen

#6479240 - 10/03/16 06:34 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: rifleman]
THF Celebrity

Some might think you're joking, but it's not too uncommon for some guys to go several years without pulling the trigger, despite seeing numerous deer.

Spring, Texas

#6479246 - 10/03/16 06:37 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: rattler03]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: rattler03

same here ... I've shot does the last 2 seasons after not really having a place to hunt for 3 seasons. This season if I get the opportunity to drop the hammer on a buck, I'm going to do it. I know a lot of folks won't agree with me on this one, but I'm not going through another season passing on a buck just because I think he's 4.5 years old. I've done that each of the last 2 seasons, and I only saw that deer once each year, never to see a buck worth even thinking about shooting for the rest of the season. I'm beginning to think that taking management "too seriously" is diminishing the enjoyment I get out of hunting. I'm not saying folks that hunt that way are wrong, but right now in my life I'm just not to the point where I can go multiple years passing on deer I really want to shoot only to come home empty handed. Maybe someday I'll get there, but I just don't think I'm there yet.

I'll applaud ANYONE who takes ANY legal deer to put meat in the freezer while keeping the population in check.

Spring, Texas

#6479530 - 10/03/16 09:20 PM Re: So will this be the year... [Re: Texas Dan]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood

Some might think you're joking, but it's not too uncommon for some guys to go several years without pulling the trigger, despite seeing numerous deer.

I rarely have problems seeing deer, I just have problems seeing THE deer. I last pulled the trigger in 2013, so I'm due this year. Plus, my wife has a buck with her name all over it, so I won't feel as guilty about pulling the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide