Forums46
Topics536,988
Posts9,719,174
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? #6478821 10/03/16 07:25 PM
R
rattler03 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
I can think of 2 things that rise above the rest.

My Dad and I watched a golden eagle for a few minutes three seasons ago on his lease south of Ozona. It landed on a deadfall about 15 yards in front of our ground blind that was on a little hillside. The eagle was right on the edge of the drop off perfectly in front of us. We watched him with the naked eye and threw binoc's for maybe 2 minutes before he flew off straight away from us. The wingspan, overall size and talons on that bird were awesome. I'm sure it looked bigger than it really was but that wingspan may have been in the neighborhood of 6 feet. Really an incredible thing to witness ... I saw a ton of deer that trip, bye far the most I've ever seen on a single hunting trip, including 10 bucks that were at least 4.5 and really nice deer for my experiences, but seeing that Golden eagle was definitely the best part of the trip. Seeing it the first day when I was still hunting with my Dad to learn their definition of a cull buck made it extra special.

Another really cool thing was watching 2 full-grown badgers move through my area and pass my stand at less than 30 yards. This was last season in Archer County. I watched them for a good while, maybe 5 minutes as they were not in any hurry. They were pretty good sized, bigger than I thought one would be, maybe 3 foot long nose to bottom, stout critters that probably approached 50 lbs in weight, and taller than I would have thought. They were rust colored with white/gray masks around their eyes. It was most certainly a sighting that was straight out of left-field as I never would of thought I'd witness 2 adult badgers (and get a really good look at them for a length amount of time, to boot) on my north Texas deer lease.

These kind of things are some of the most memorable takeaways from hunting - the rare sightings that completely surprise you. I've shot a lot of deer in my 20+ years of deer hunting, and spent a lot of hours on stand and out in the woods, I only vividly remember a few of my favorite hunts where I took a special deer but I won't soon forget the happenings of these 2 hunts.

What about you folks, what are a few of your favorite experiences in the woods while hunting that don't involve seeing deer or whatever else you were out there targeting? I guess a fishing trip would be about the same thing, if you have a story about one of those.

Last edited by rattler03; 10/03/16 07:26 PM.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478837 10/03/16 07:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have seen a lot of cool things. The one that comes to mind first off is when I was sitting on a tank dam that was the middle tank of 3 tanks all on the same drainage. The trees on the tank dam had been a vulture roost for a very long time. It was sundown and the vultures were riding the thermals getting ready to go to roost for the night. I had a video camera with me to video deer eating weeds in the back end or dry areas of the tanks. One vulture was close to the stand and I was watching it and looking for deer. I noticed 2 or Cara Cara start to follow it around closely while I glided in circles in the breezes. The Cara Cara's started to change directions and get closer and closer to the vulture while in flight. One Cara Cara dove from above the vulture and clipped a wing causing the vulture to fall a bit and change course. Then another Cara Cara made dove that vulture and knocked him off course and the vulture went to the ground. He sat for a second then took off low to the ground and gaining altitude. I thought, I have a video camera this would have been neat video. Well the next part I did not expect, as the vulture started to fly higher a Cara Cara dove down rapidly and grabbed one wing and across the back of the vulture and took the vulture to the ground. Immediately 4-5 more Cara Cara dove down and they all attacked the vulture killing it/eating it. They ate part of it before flying off at dark to roost. Had a video camera and did not video one second.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478841 10/03/16 07:46 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Dad and I released a redtail hawk that got caught in a trapper's leg trap. Saw the hawk on the ground not moving and got closer and closer until I realized it had a talon in the trap. I took my t-shirt off and put it over the hawk's head and tried to keep it still while my dad opened the leg trap. That was the coolest moment I recall right now.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478843 10/03/16 07:46 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Was sitting in my deer stand one morning and a flock of blackbirds flew in to my feeder and one flew up on a branch about 5 ft from me with a frog in his mouth and it stuck the frog on a large thorn and started eating it. The bird ate the whole frog off that thorn.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478846 10/03/16 07:52 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Illegal aliens sneaking through the brush

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478852 10/03/16 07:59 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
While hog hunting, I was watching a doe in a small clearing. All of a sudden, she ran to the tree line and started dancing/hopping back and forth while looking into the woods and snorting very loudly.

About a minute into this and I saw a young bobcat emerge from the woods close to where she was. She drove off the bobcat, chasing it around the clearing, snorting and bounding like she was going to crush it with her front hooves. The whole even probably lasted 2 minutes.

---------------

I have seen 2 meteor fireballs while waiting for hogs as well.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478870 10/03/16 08:08 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
As a youth we had a deer lease outside of Comanche. On multiple occasions we would be entertained by a group of Apache helicopters doing maneuvers/dog fighting. As well as some air force jets doing the same and refueling mid air. No telling how many deer I never saw because I was mesmerized as a child by the acrobats in the sky by these skilled servicemen. Something I will never forget.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: LandPirate] #6478892 10/03/16 08:21 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
One hunt I was laying prone on a hill side hunting 2 separate feeders at once. I noticed a red tailed hawk flying close to the ground. A few minutes later, it buzzed over the top of me by about 2 feet! I heard the sound as it flew by and looked over to see it passing by. It was pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Illegal aliens sneaking through the brush

+1. When I hunted Junction, we were at the T intersection of I-10 and Hwy 83. The illegals would come up 83, and often cross our property and/or spend nights in our camp trailers. It was a little freaky on that.

Last edited by ChadTRG42; 10/03/16 08:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478897 10/03/16 08:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I saw a Cara Cara once in Mills County. It was in an open field-as I drove by, it took of running for some brush about 300 yards away. It never flew, just ran the whole way. Damn bird was FAST!

I was sitting in a tree once and I saw our entire herd of cows (40-50 head) take off running in my direction. As they cut the distance from 600 to 400 yards, I noticed there was a coyote in front of them. They angled off before getting to me, but they chased that dog about 500 yards before they got bored with it. All I had that day was a .22 mag and the yote never got in range.

I watched a pair of grey foxes hunt for mice/rats one day, that was fun. They'd [censored] their heads and listen, then pounce in some long grass. I didn't see them catch anything that morning.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478909 10/03/16 08:38 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Watched a Bald Eagle from about 30 yds away while sitting in a box stand in South TX near Mathis. It landed in a dead tree right in front of me. I watched it through binoculars for a good 30 minutes. Badazz animal.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6478921 10/03/16 08:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Watched a Bald Eagle from about 30 yds away while sitting in a box stand in South TX near Mathis. It landed in a dead tree right in front of me. I watched it through binoculars for a good 30 minutes. Badazz animal.

That breeding pair has been on a ranch in the lake area for several years now. Seen some really good pics of them when on the nest. Seeing one for the first time is an awesome sight.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: stxranchman] #6478943 10/03/16 08:57 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That breeding pair has been on a ranch in the lake area for several years now. Seen some really good pics of them when on the nest. Seeing one for the first time is an awesome sight.

This was about 27 years ago. We were on that ranch from when I was 12 through 17 years old, I'm 43 now, I don't remember exactly what year it was I saw the Eagle though.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6478992 10/03/16 09:26 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Get to watch a bald eagle on our place from time to time. They follow the geese as they move through and will perch on the power poles overlooking our wheat field when geese are grazing. Cool sight for sure!

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479038 10/03/16 09:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Once while bow hunting in an oak in east Texas I had a squirrel try and land on me. Thought I was a branch I guess.

I also hunted once out of an old, old ground blind. Think it was 4'x4'. A cotton tail was living in it. He ran off but shortly returned. We both finished the hunt looking at each other. He ran off again when I shot a deer

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: stxranchman] #6479042 10/03/16 09:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Remember that big golden eagle we saw out west?

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479047 10/03/16 09:46 PM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Bald eagle circled us on a duck hunt for almost half an hour. Kept our birds away no doubt but we did not care.

I saw a nice buck going to pound town during the rut.

While walking along turkey hunting once I walked down an oil & gas road through a swampy area and walked up on a half dozen 12 inch baby alligators. After realizing what I was looking at 20 feet in front of me I froze up, flicked off the safety on my shotgun, put my head on swivel, and did a very careful inspection of my surroundings. When momma did not appear to be nearby, I snapped a couple quick pictures, then moved on.

And if anybody replies to this thread saying they saw a black panther, I say don't believe everything you read!

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479052 10/03/16 09:48 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
bobcat putting the sneak on a rabbit

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: stxranchman] #6479058 10/03/16 09:54 PM
R
rattler03 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
I have seen a lot of cool things. The one that comes to mind first off is when I was sitting on a tank dam that was the middle tank of 3 tanks all on the same drainage. The trees on the tank dam had been a vulture roost for a very long time. It was sundown and the vultures were riding the thermals getting ready to go to roost for the night. I had a video camera with me to video deer eating weeds in the back end or dry areas of the tanks. One vulture was close to the stand and I was watching it and looking for deer. I noticed 2 or Cara Cara start to follow it around closely while I glided in circles in the breezes. The Cara Cara's started to change directions and get closer and closer to the vulture while in flight. One Cara Cara dove from above the vulture and clipped a wing causing the vulture to fall a bit and change course. Then another Cara Cara made dove that vulture and knocked him off course and the vulture went to the ground. He sat for a second then took off low to the ground and gaining altitude. I thought, I have a video camera this would have been neat video. Well the next part I did not expect, as the vulture started to fly higher a Cara Cara dove down rapidly and grabbed one wing and across the back of the vulture and took the vulture to the ground. Immediately 4-5 more Cara Cara dove down and they all attacked the vulture killing it/eating it. They ate part of it before flying off at dark to roost. Had a video camera and did not video one second.

That's a pretty awesome story. I think the fact that you never even bothered/thought to get the video camera rolling on that event is evidence enough of how unusual and unexpected it was. Sometimes a thing seems so completely out of the blue that before you even fully realize what's happening your just caught in a trance, baffled at what is unfolding right in front of you. And, then its over and you finally process what just happened.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479063 10/03/16 09:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Two black, completely unmarked, fighter jets putting it on the deck, well below normal altitude, so low it scared the crap out of the deer at my feeder, ('Didn't do wonders for my underwear, neither!) from behind my left shoulder and moving away at 11 o'clock. Just north of Sanderson a few years ago.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479076 10/03/16 10:05 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I grew up hunting WT in central Texas, Burnet, Llano, Lampasas, Williamson counties mainly. I was also an avid hunter/trapper of fur bearing animals too covering 10s of thousands of acres over my younger years. About 3-4 years ago, I was hunting on the South Rocky Creek in northern Burnet county, started hearing something odd and leaned out the front of my blind to see a huge porcupine waddling along within about 4-5 feet of my stand. I had seen them out west TX and up in the mountains of NM and CO, but never in central Texas.

hunting in Llano county a few years back from up in a tower blind, I watched a medium sized bobcat put a stalk on a cotton tail. That was fun to watch. From same stand, as it started getting daylight one morning, I noticed a owl sitting in the elm tree about 30 feet away.

as a kid of 10-12 years old (circa late 1960s), I watched range hogs (domestic hogs put out to pasture like cattle) rush in to a fresh gut pile from a doe I had just shot/gutted, fighting like I couldn't believe, my dad told me to toss the doe as high as I could up in a cedar tree and we backed away about 50 or so yards as the hogs finished up the gut pile and started sniffing the drag trail over to the cedar tree trying to get my doe, they lost interest in about 10 minutes and left. That kinda freaked me out that hogs could be carnivorous

years ago (circa early 1960s), we hunted on top of White Bluff that overlooks Lake Buchanan on the NE side. We watched dozens of buzzards ride the thermal and I was always curious about the various types of buzzards, red heads, black heads, and white heads ... it wasn't until years later I realized the white headed were actually bald eagles that nested all around up there and fished in the lake. That was pretty cool after I realized it.

we watched a 4-5 foot coach whip kill a 3-4 foot rattlesnake right inside the gate to our lease.

the list goes on and on ... I'll keep thinking on unusual cool stuff I have seen while out hunting.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: stxranchman] #6479088 10/03/16 10:11 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I always wondered if anything would eat a buzzard.

Now I know

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: PMK] #6479090 10/03/16 10:12 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I watched a King Fisher catch a mud cat that was just about a big as he was. He flew up to a log just over the water and started to beat it against the log. I assume to kill it. He tossed it up, catching it by the head and began to try to swallow it. He wasn't having any success. So he beat it some more. Repeated his effort, still couldn't swallow it. So on his last effort he took a big dump while swallowing it.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479097 10/03/16 10:17 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
1. Seen a Roadrunner catch a snake and eat it by the feeder
2. Seen Wood Ducks land on a feeder several miles from water
3. Seen a small Gator walk out of a tank and up into the trees
4. Seen a 300 inch deer waiting on a 140 inch deer
5. Seen a white squirrel and a black squirrel
6. Seen a couple pull up and do the wild thing on a boat 10 yards from our spread

But the very best thing I have seen setting in a blind; saw a mountain lion and 4 cubs come in and get a drink of water. 2 cubs came in first...

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479104 10/03/16 10:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
One night many years ago while coon hunting, a friend and I watched what we later learned was a Russian satellite break apart and burn up after falling out of its decaying orbit.

Hard to top that one.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479123 10/03/16 10:28 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Seen an aurora just before sun-up one time. It lasted for around 15 minutes then was gone. Up until that point, I'd never seen one live and in front of me. Amazing sight.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide