Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,132
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6486401 10/08/16 04:02 PM
L
lmd59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Hunting whitetail in Pennsylvania, standing on a logging road a bear walked within 30 feet of me. I shuffled my feet, he saw me and ran down over the hill. A couple minutes later I hear my younger brother yelling - the bear ran within a couple of feet of him. He about crapped his pants.

I didn't see it, but when hunting in Throckmorton County, a guy on our lease was sitting in his blind and the guy who owned the land next to our lease was riding his horse with a monkey sitting on his shoulder.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6486854 10/08/16 10:12 PM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Got invited bow hunting with a friend on a place I had never been to. Tells me he will drop me off at a blind in a big oak. So about 4:30 he drops me off and drives off. Well no one had used the blind in a long time and the tree had grown a lot of new limbs so there was no way to get in and be able to shoot. Since I did not know the property I decided to just sit by the tree until it got light and then find a place to hunt. It finally got light enough to barely see and there is no cover for about 60 yards. I layed my bow down since the cover was so far and was just going to wait for a while. I am sitting there and a 6 point buck comes out of the tree line and is feeding coming straight at me. I figured he would see me and run off but he just kept coming. Got about 3 feet in front of me and just started staring at me. About 30 seconds later he starts running in place and turns and goes about 10 feet and stops and throws his head around and stares again. I never moved and he just fed on off behind me. It as an awesome experience

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6487548 10/09/16 02:32 PM
T
TX0303 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Couple of years ago on opening morning right after first light, spotted some movement about 100yds away but couldn't figure out what it was, until he stood up to pull up his pants. It was a Mexican taking a crap behind some cedars realmad

Last edited by TX0303; 10/09/16 02:33 PM.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6488865 10/10/16 01:25 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Back in the early 80's when I used to hunt out of tree forks or on limbs I was way up in an old dead oak way before first light. All of the sudden I hear and feel a huge bird landing right above me. I am full camo with face net and when it just barely got light enough to see, I very and I mean very slowly started looking up and low and behold was a Great Horned Owl staring down at me about 3 feet above meeeks333 after about 10 seconds of this he took off, what a rush.

Another morning right at very first light something kept hammering my window on the west side of my blind which I had covered with cardboard. After the 2nd time took the cardboard down and bam again,again and again, it was a small bird attacking its reflection. The bird ended landing on my window ledge just starring in, pretty cool.

Last edited by Stub; 10/10/16 01:27 PM.

texas flag

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6488922 10/10/16 02:18 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I saw a hog with an arrow stuck in him run across the road while I was headed to town to grab some Dairy Queen. I didn't see any one chasing him and he wasn't leaving a blood trail. No telling how long he's been running around like that.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/10/16 02:19 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6489780 10/11/16 12:44 AM
E
erniejs Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Stand hunting mule deer in Utah
Had a bull moose and 2 cow moose come in to the waterhole. Didn't even know they had any in that area

We get old too fast and wise too slow
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6489884 10/11/16 01:57 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Saw a sounder of pigs attacked by a group of coyotes. Coyotes won by snatching a piglet, but the took some hits from the bigger pigs. Chaotic scene for sure, but one I won't forget.

I've seen Red Tail hawks take rabbits and dove while sitting in the blind.

I had a wood pecker land on the window seal of my blind while is was leaning forward napping. I opened my eyes when I heard it land and the bird was about 6 inches from my face. Interesting few seconds for sure.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6489917 10/11/16 02:25 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I was hunting in ETX in a tree climber one year and yes I had my gillie on. I was up about twenty off the ground. It was about the time I needed to start heading down after not seeing anything and in swoops a huge owl! Scared the beegeesus out of me...it was just sitting there on a branch that was at eye level...I could have reached out and touched him. He sat there for what seemed like forever but was probably no more than a minute to a minute and a half and then it took off...absolutely incredible watching how it swoops through the trees!

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6490291 10/11/16 12:59 PM
A
artrios60 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
While doing some scouting and predator hunting during the rut. A doe trying to elude 5 bucks went straight into a tank and swam around for a bit while the bucks continued to follow her.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6490364 10/11/16 01:52 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
A few weeks ago I saw three grey fox come and go over the course of 3 hours, eating corn with several whitetails in Boerne, including one of them which periodically sat down, like a dog, before eating some more. Apparently it's a daily occurrence with this group of three, from what I was told.

In October 2014, while cruising with therancher on a UTV, we jumped a juvenile eagle that was finishing up a fresh turkey kill. We were within 10 yards of him before we saw him on the ground at the back side of a cedar, and to be that close as it took off was a pretty cool sight to see.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6490398 10/11/16 02:16 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Saw a B-1B on a super low super fast pass over the Pease River last weekend just after dawn... very impressive; they tell us there are sensors in several places along that river to record "electronic" bomb runs .

Saw a Blackhawk helicopter make an emergency landing about 600 yards from our fenceline in a wheat field near Megargel several years ago. Went to check on them, purely mechanical and safety only. After about two hours they left again. The other helicopter circled for a while then went on.

Nearly had a heart attack, while napping in a box blind on afternoon, woke up to a doe with her head inside the front window looking at me. We both hit our heads on the way out of the blind.

Hunting a bow stand area from the ground with a rifle, went to sleep for a nap after lunch... woke up to vultures circling overhead, decided not to sleep in the open anymore...

Taking a client to the a stand near Leakey, had a family of porupines pass between us and around us early one morning. Then about a minute later had the heard of pigs do the same thing. Figure the pigs had moved the porcupines too.

Last year, while in a ground bow blind, had a guy on a horse walk past, not our landowner or his hands. He circled the feeder about 20 yards out, then approached the feeder... wish I had video of him and the horse when I yelled "Can I help you?" as he tapped on the feeder to see if it had corn in it... After regaining composure and control of the horse, he said he was looking for stray calves... I told him they weren't in the feeder...

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6490413 10/11/16 02:26 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Was sitting an older box blind early one morning and had been bothered by a woodpecker pecking on pole line the blind was sitting on. Woodpecker had also been working on my blind by looking at some of the new holes in the blind. He was working on an established blemish in my blind up to my left about head high. His beak would come in and out of the hole and when he rested sometimes his beak would appear in the blind. I slowly worked my left hand up to the hole he was working on. The next time he rested and left his beak resting through the hole, I grabbed his beak. He did not know what to do and neither did I. I held on to him for a few seconds and when I let go, he flew off. He did not bother me any more that morning.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: BenBob] #6490556 10/11/16 04:11 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Was sitting an older box blind early one morning and had been bothered by a woodpecker pecking on pole line the blind was sitting on. Woodpecker had also been working on my blind by looking at some of the new holes in the blind. He was working on an established blemish in my blind up to my left about head high. His beak would come in and out of the hole and when he rested sometimes his beak would appear in the blind. I slowly worked my left hand up to the hole he was working on. The next time he rested and left his beak resting through the hole, I grabbed his beak. He did not know what to do and neither did I. I held on to him for a few seconds and when I let go, he flew off. He did not bother me any more that morning.
I would have loved to see that roflmao

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: BenBob] #6491084 10/11/16 09:44 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A

Life lesson: Don't rest your pecker in a hole. roflmao

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #6491237 10/11/16 11:32 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Life lesson: Don't rest your pecker in a hole. roflmao

rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6493218 10/13/16 02:45 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
While fishing in Packery Channel last spring I watch a pelican circle over head about 150 ft then dive strait down into the concrete structure of the bridge crossing the channel. It made a load SPLAT and never moved. Never could figure out why he did it. Suicide I guess.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6493355 10/13/16 05:45 AM
A
ARC Africa Safaris Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
We often get to see some awesome animals and encounters whilst bow hunting but managed to get a photo of this inquisitive Vervet monkey.

Justin Cawood
Arc Africa Safaris
www.arcsafaris.com
hunt@arcsafaris.com
Instagram arc_safaris
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6493365 10/13/16 06:21 AM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
When I was a teenager, my family raised goats, we had about 200 Boer-Spanish crosses, and we had a llama as a guard animal. Oscar de la Llama was a big white curly-haired critter, with a smoldering hatred for anything canine. In ten years of raising goats in the Texas Hill Country, we lost exactly zero animals to predation. We even had to beef up the fences around the pen where we raised 4-H project pigs, I guess pigs just resemble dogs too closely. Oscar had free range of the property, and one fine November morning I got to watch him at work from my favorite deer blind.

It was mid-morning when I heard an absolute ruckus coming my way, fast! Branches are breaking, rocks are rolling, hoof beats are pounding, I barely had time to even reach for my gun when a coyote blasts into the clearing, running with his tail tucked, in a desperate sprint for his life. Hot on his heels is a huge white streak of lightning that runs him down in the middle of the clearing, about 40 yards in front of me. A Llama's foot is a cloven hoof about the same size as an elk, but he walks with his weight back on a heel, with the two points of the hoof spread out in front, almost like a bird's claws. When he raises his front legs to kick, those claws point downward in a stabbing motion, and it was a fearsome thing of beauty to watch. He kicked, and trampled, and kicked, and bit, and kicked and tore. The 'yote was dead after his first three strikes, but he worked that song dogs' carcass over for a solid thirty minutes. After he finally gave it up and sedately strolled away I walked out to inspect the carnage. He tore that coyote to bits, literally, there were pieces scattered around the landscape.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6493522 10/13/16 01:14 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Fox attacked my mojo now I have 2 wounded mojos. A little falcon hit my other one. I was laid up in some hay bales once and a little falcon was hovering over me I guess try to figure out if I was something to eat or not. I was wearing a camo leaf suit so it was funny to see him just kind of hovering as he dipped down towards my shoe I moved. Best air brakes I've ever seen.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6494024 10/13/16 07:00 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
While bow hunting one year, I decided to just sit against an oak tree that had a few cedars around it. After about 30 minutes I heard the leaves behind me crunching so I turned around and seriously almost face to face...maybe 3 steps from me was a bobcat. We was sneaking up behind me. We both froze and stared each other down for a few seconds and then he turned and ran...my heart was racing!

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: ARC Africa Safaris] #6494048 10/13/16 07:14 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: ARC Africa Safaris
We often get to see some awesome animals and encounters whilst bow hunting but managed to get a photo of this inquisitive Vervet monkey.

Lonely looking bastard.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #6494052 10/13/16 07:16 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Originally Posted By: ARC Africa Safaris

Lonely looking bastard.

roflmao

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6494060 10/13/16 07:18 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
few years back when grandpa was still around we had a weird south wind in late December. I had dug a pit to sit in along the fence line to stay up wind of the feeder. I was about 16 at the time, something caught my eye in the pasture to the east. It was a bobcat sneaking around hunting field larks. I sat there and watched him all evening. Only the second we'd seen out there so I wasn't about to shoot, just cool to watch!

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6494237 10/13/16 09:54 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Turkey hunting near corn feeder. Lining up shot when a bobcat flew out of the brush and nailed one. Stepped out and lined up the bobcat while the turkey was flouncing. Bobcat sees me but doesn't let go. Let bobcat live to see another day.

In ground blind - entire covey of quail come into the blind and cross over my legs and feet in a feeding pattern. Never knew I was there.

Go to get in blind. A frightened illegal young women is inside. I speak a little spanish so I make sure she knows she is not in trouble. One thing leads to another and........ I woke up.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: jrs_39] #6494279 10/13/16 10:37 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Watched a redtail hawk catch a squirrel out of a tree. One time while bow hunting for deer out of a pop up blind had some turkeys come in. I shot one at about fifty yards and as soon as it stopped flopping around a large owl came down and landed on top of it. Have had birds land on me while sitting in tree stands.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide