Forum Stats
60439 Members
45 Forums
475802 Topics
6241751 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#6478821 - 10/03/16 02:25 PM Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey???
rattler03 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
I can think of 2 things that rise above the rest.

My Dad and I watched a golden eagle for a few minutes three seasons ago on his lease south of Ozona. It landed on a deadfall about 15 yards in front of our ground blind that was on a little hillside. The eagle was right on the edge of the drop off perfectly in front of us. We watched him with the naked eye and threw binoc's for maybe 2 minutes before he flew off straight away from us. The wingspan, overall size and talons on that bird were awesome. I'm sure it looked bigger than it really was but that wingspan may have been in the neighborhood of 6 feet. Really an incredible thing to witness ... I saw a ton of deer that trip, bye far the most I've ever seen on a single hunting trip, including 10 bucks that were at least 4.5 and really nice deer for my experiences, but seeing that Golden eagle was definitely the best part of the trip. Seeing it the first day when I was still hunting with my Dad to learn their definition of a cull buck made it extra special.

Another really cool thing was watching 2 full-grown badgers move through my area and pass my stand at less than 30 yards. This was last season in Archer County. I watched them for a good while, maybe 5 minutes as they were not in any hurry. They were pretty good sized, bigger than I thought one would be, maybe 3 foot long nose to bottom, stout critters that probably approached 50 lbs in weight, and taller than I would have thought. They were rust colored with white/gray masks around their eyes. It was most certainly a sighting that was straight out of left-field as I never would of thought I'd witness 2 adult badgers (and get a really good look at them for a length amount of time, to boot) on my north Texas deer lease.

These kind of things are some of the most memorable takeaways from hunting - the rare sightings that completely surprise you. I've shot a lot of deer in my 20+ years of deer hunting, and spent a lot of hours on stand and out in the woods, I only vividly remember a few of my favorite hunts where I took a special deer but I won't soon forget the happenings of these 2 hunts.

What about you folks, what are a few of your favorite experiences in the woods while hunting that don't involve seeing deer or whatever else you were out there targeting? I guess a fishing trip would be about the same thing, if you have a story about one of those.

Edited by rattler03 (10/03/16 02:26 PM)
-Robert Earl Keen

#6478837 - 10/03/16 02:40 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have seen a lot of cool things. The one that comes to mind first off is when I was sitting on a tank dam that was the middle tank of 3 tanks all on the same drainage. The trees on the tank dam had been a vulture roost for a very long time. It was sundown and the vultures were riding the thermals getting ready to go to roost for the night. I had a video camera with me to video deer eating weeds in the back end or dry areas of the tanks. One vulture was close to the stand and I was watching it and looking for deer. I noticed 2 or Cara Cara start to follow it around closely while I glided in circles in the breezes. The Cara Cara's started to change directions and get closer and closer to the vulture while in flight. One Cara Cara dove from above the vulture and clipped a wing causing the vulture to fall a bit and change course. Then another Cara Cara made dove that vulture and knocked him off course and the vulture went to the ground. He sat for a second then took off low to the ground and gaining altitude. I thought, I have a video camera this would have been neat video. Well the next part I did not expect, as the vulture started to fly higher a Cara Cara dove down rapidly and grabbed one wing and across the back of the vulture and took the vulture to the ground. Immediately 4-5 more Cara Cara dove down and they all attacked the vulture killing it/eating it. They ate part of it before flying off at dark to roost. Had a video camera and did not video one second.

#6478841 - 10/03/16 02:46 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Dad and I released a redtail hawk that got caught in a trapper's leg trap. Saw the hawk on the ground not moving and got closer and closer until I realized it had a talon in the trap. I took my t-shirt off and put it over the hawk's head and tried to keep it still while my dad opened the leg trap. That was the coolest moment I recall right now.

#6478843 - 10/03/16 02:46 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: hopkins co
Was sitting in my deer stand one morning and a flock of blackbirds flew in to my feeder and one flew up on a branch about 5 ft from me with a frog in his mouth and it stuck the frog on a large thorn and started eating it. The bird ate the whole frog off that thorn.

#6478846 - 10/03/16 02:52 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
Illegal aliens sneaking through the brush

#6478852 - 10/03/16 02:59 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
While hog hunting, I was watching a doe in a small clearing. All of a sudden, she ran to the tree line and started dancing/hopping back and forth while looking into the woods and snorting very loudly.

About a minute into this and I saw a young bobcat emerge from the woods close to where she was. She drove off the bobcat, chasing it around the clearing, snorting and bounding like she was going to crush it with her front hooves. The whole even probably lasted 2 minutes.

---------------

I have seen 2 meteor fireballs while waiting for hogs as well.

#6478870 - 10/03/16 03:08 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
Theringworm Offline
Bird Dog

As a youth we had a deer lease outside of Comanche. On multiple occasions we would be entertained by a group of Apache helicopters doing maneuvers/dog fighting. As well as some air force jets doing the same and refueling mid air. No telling how many deer I never saw because I was mesmerized as a child by the acrobats in the sky by these skilled servicemen. Something I will never forget.

#6478892 - 10/03/16 03:21 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: LandPirate]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
One hunt I was laying prone on a hill side hunting 2 separate feeders at once. I noticed a red tailed hawk flying close to the ground. A few minutes later, it buzzed over the top of me by about 2 feet! I heard the sound as it flew by and looked over to see it passing by. It was pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Illegal aliens sneaking through the brush

+1. When I hunted Junction, we were at the T intersection of I-10 and Hwy 83. The illegals would come up 83, and often cross our property and/or spend nights in our camp trailers. It was a little freaky on that.

Edited by ChadTRG42 (10/03/16 03:24 PM)

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6478897 - 10/03/16 03:30 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I saw a Cara Cara once in Mills County. It was in an open field-as I drove by, it took of running for some brush about 300 yards away. It never flew, just ran the whole way. Damn bird was FAST!

I was sitting in a tree once and I saw our entire herd of cows (40-50 head) take off running in my direction. As they cut the distance from 600 to 400 yards, I noticed there was a coyote in front of them. They angled off before getting to me, but they chased that dog about 500 yards before they got bored with it. All I had that day was a .22 mag and the yote never got in range.

I watched a pair of grey foxes hunt for mice/rats one day, that was fun. They'd [censored] their heads and listen, then pounce in some long grass. I didn't see them catch anything that morning.

#6478909 - 10/03/16 03:38 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
Watched a Bald Eagle from about 30 yds away while sitting in a box stand in South TX near Mathis. It landed in a dead tree right in front of me. I watched it through binoculars for a good 30 minutes. Badazz animal.

#6478921 - 10/03/16 03:45 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Watched a Bald Eagle from about 30 yds away while sitting in a box stand in South TX near Mathis. It landed in a dead tree right in front of me. I watched it through binoculars for a good 30 minutes. Badazz animal.

That breeding pair has been on a ranch in the lake area for several years now. Seen some really good pics of them when on the nest. Seeing one for the first time is an awesome sight.

#6478943 - 10/03/16 03:57 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: stxranchman]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That breeding pair has been on a ranch in the lake area for several years now. Seen some really good pics of them when on the nest. Seeing one for the first time is an awesome sight.

This was about 27 years ago. We were on that ranch from when I was 12 through 17 years old, I'm 43 now, I don't remember exactly what year it was I saw the Eagle though.

#6478992 - 10/03/16 04:26 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Get to watch a bald eagle on our place from time to time. They follow the geese as they move through and will perch on the power poles overlooking our wheat field when geese are grazing. Cool sight for sure!

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#6479038 - 10/03/16 04:44 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Once while bow hunting in an oak in east Texas I had a squirrel try and land on me. Thought I was a branch I guess.

I also hunted once out of an old, old ground blind. Think it was 4'x4'. A cotton tail was living in it. He ran off but shortly returned. We both finished the hunt looking at each other. He ran off again when I shot a deer

#6479042 - 10/03/16 04:45 PM Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: stxranchman]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Remember that big golden eagle we saw out west?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide