Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? #6476906 10/02/16 03:02 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
Part of our lease boarders a high fence deer breeder and we found out this week that at least 2 of his does have escaped and now are on our property, we have them on game camera. The owner of the high fence has already informed us of this and he knows that he won't be able to get them back. As a group, we have all agreed not to harvest either doe.

One of the guys made a comment that it is illegal for anyone to shoot a deer that is tagged, is that true?

Last edited by GPS; 10/02/16 03:03 PM.

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6476909 10/02/16 03:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Once they are released they fall under TPWD rules and regs. So you can shoot them as you would any other doe...bling or no bling.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6476933 10/02/16 03:27 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
That's what I thought, but this member was pretty confident that they could not be harvested. I haven't read the regulations yet. Thought I would check here and see what others have to say.

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6476939 10/02/16 03:33 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I'd let them live to pass on their genes to their future baby bucks

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477070 10/02/16 05:18 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
You can shoot one with an ear tag. Doesn't matter if it has a tag at all.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477154 10/02/16 06:21 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
SapperTitan, we are, that's the plan.

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477337 10/02/16 09:18 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
As mentioned, nothing illegal about it.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477512 10/02/16 11:19 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This is probably going to rile some folks but I haven't done that in a while. If you shoot an ear tagged animal that has gotten out of a HF is that like shooting it in a HF? If not then how is shooting an animal in a HF that has jumped in not like shooting it in a LF.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477739 10/03/16 02:03 AM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: don k] #6477794 10/03/16 02:36 AM
B
bowman5000 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: don k
This is probably going to rile some folks but I haven't done that in a while. If you shoot an ear tagged animal that has gotten out of a HF is that like shooting it in a HF? If not then how is shooting an animal in a HF that has jumped in not like shooting it in a LF.

He has a point you know

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477874 10/03/16 03:26 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You can shoot, but why would want to? Free genetics.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477877 10/03/16 03:30 AM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
We are not going to shoot the doe. We want the genetics. I just had member state with some certainty that even though the doe was on our place and the owner new it and said they were not going to try and retrieve it, it was illegal for anyone to shoot a deer that was tagged.

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477879 10/03/16 03:31 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: GPS
We are not going to shoot the doe. We want the genetics. I just had member state with some certainty that even though the doe was on our place and the owner new it and said they were not going to try and retrieve it, it was illegal for anyone to shoot a deer that was tagged.

Let him keep thinking that. wink

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477883 10/03/16 03:37 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

He could be thinking of exotics, whitetail don't fall into that category. I remember reading that you are obligated to notify the owner or make an effort to find the owner of an exotic with a tag or clear (visible) marking denoting ownership. If the owner cannot reasonably capture the animal or has no desire to attempt, then the animal can be taken. If the animal has no visible markings, then it is free game.

I didn't look the article back up, so the wording above might be a little off, but it gives the idea grin

There was a story about a buck that escaped a HF and was shot. The taxidermist that the hunter took the animal to had pictures of the buck because the owner of the HF place thought that someone had poached the animal. The taxidermist notified the owner and authorities. Upon investigation, the hunter was able to show the animal on his TC prior to the weekend he took the animal. That TC picture very well could have saved him a lot of hassle.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: txshntr] #6477888 10/03/16 03:41 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

He could be thinking of exotics, whitetail don't fall into that category. I remember reading that you are obligated to notify the owner or make an effort to find the owner of an exotic with a tag or clear (visible) marking denoting ownership. If the owner cannot reasonably capture the animal or has no desire to attempt, then the animal can be taken. If the animal has no visible markings, then it is free game.

I didn't look the article back up, so the wording above might be a little off, but it gives the idea grin

There was a story about a buck that escaped a HF and was shot. The taxidermist that the hunter took the animal to had pictures of the buck because the owner of the HF place thought that someone had poached the animal. The taxidermist notified the owner and authorities. Upon investigation, the hunter was able to show the animal on his TC prior to the weekend he took the animal. That TC picture very well could have saved him a lot of hassle.

There is a difference between escape and release of WT from a breeding pen.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: stxranchman] #6477892 10/03/16 03:43 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Thought the release of a deer into LF was illegal now? So, if you saw one now, chances are it escaped...correct?

And what is the difference?

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477893 10/03/16 03:47 AM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
The doe escaped, it was not released. This HF just started up 2 years ago. I can't imagine he is to happy to have one of his breed stock doe out. Again, he notified us about the doe and later this week it showed up on one of our game camera's.

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6477898 10/03/16 03:56 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
The doe escaped, it was not released. This HF just started up 2 years ago. I can't imagine he is to happy to have one of his breed stock doe out. Again, he notified us about the doe and later this week it showed up on one of our game camera's.

cheers With a whitetail, I don't believe that it matters how it got out, it is out and falls under the rules and guidelines of TPWD. I was just saying that your member might have the rule he is stating mixed up with exotics since they typically come off HF places too.

I was just seeing where STX was going with his statement...it is always interesting grin

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: txshntr] #6477901 10/03/16 03:59 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Thought the release of a deer into LF was illegal now? So, if you saw one now, chances are it escaped...correct?

And what is the difference?

It is illegal to release onto a LF property. If deer was legally released into a HF then jumped out of HF or flood or storm took out the fence and deer got out, hunting the deer would fall under the TPWD rules on the property it is on. Still could be ear tagged but not released into the LF.
Same could happen with a breeding facility in a storm or flood also but different rules apply for a short term. The problem then is that the deer is in inventory of the breeder pen and they have to account for it and what happened to it immediately. IIRC if a deer escapes from a breeding pen into the wild the LO has to notify TPWD and then he has 24 hrs to try to get it back(if he can get LO permission). Not exactly sure, but think that is the way it used to be. What would happen after they notify the TPWD about the escape is something I have no idea how to answer. Someone in the breeding industry might know the exact law nowadays and correct that if I am wrong.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: stxranchman] #6477903 10/03/16 04:06 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

It is illegal to release onto a LF property. If deer was legally released into a HF then jumped out of HF or flood or storm took out the fence and deer got out, hunting the deer would fall under the TPWD rules on the property it is on. Still could be ear tagged but not released into the LF.
Same could happen with a breeding facility in a storm or flood also but different rules apply for a short term. The problem then is that the deer is in inventory of the breeder pen and they have to account for it and what happened to it immediately. IIRC if a deer escapes from a breeding pen into the wild the LO has to notify TPWD and then he has 24 hrs to try to get it back(if he can get LO permission). Not exactly sure, but think that is the way it used to be. What would happen after they notify the TPWD about the escape is something I have no idea how to answer. Someone in the breeding industry might know the exact law nowadays and correct that if I am wrong.

Basically what I was saying and thought. I didn't know that the HF owner had the right of recovery, even if the deer was in their inventory though. I had always been under the impression that since WT were native and "property of the state", that they were treated different than livestock, as exotics are.

Be interesting to see if one of the breeders has more info cheers

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: txshntr] #6477910 10/03/16 04:14 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Basically what I was saying and thought. I didn't know that the HF owner had the right of recovery, even if the deer was in their inventory though. I had always been under the impression that since WT were native and "property of the state", that they were treated different than livestock, as exotics are.

Be interesting to see if one of the breeders has more info cheers

Once released into HF they are under state laws. Escape directly from a breeder pen into another ranch it would be different. Luckily these does fall under the first scenario.
Even with exotics there was a law passed years ago that allows a short amount of time to recapture if it is possible. Most don't try unless it is an expensive or rare exotic.
This is what I remember it being just not 100% sure nowadays with all the changes.

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6478200 10/03/16 01:43 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
Interesting how complex this is. So as I stated, we have agreed not to take the doe(s). Now, he also has breeding buck and I understand he wants to be one of these HF pay for the buck you want operations. If a a tagged buck gets out and on our property do the rule change for the buck? Or could we harvest him like we could the doe?

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6478322 10/03/16 02:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If he gets out of a HF ranch and not a breeding facility, a buck is the same as a doe for regs. rifle

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6478520 10/03/16 04:26 PM
G
GPS Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
See this is where things get fuzzy. I have been told he has breeding pens with breeding bucks. But so far we only know of the 2 does that have escaped and are on our land.

Greg

Re: Is it legal to shot a ear tagged deer? [Re: GPS] #6478545 10/03/16 04:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Interesting how complex this is. So as I stated, we have agreed not to take the doe(s). Now, he also has breeding buck and I understand he wants to be one of these HF pay for the buck you want operations. If a a tagged buck gets out and on our property do the rule change for the buck? Or could we harvest him like we could the doe?

You are cleared, weapons hot! rifle

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide