Forum Stats
60479 Members
45 Forums
476186 Topics
6246668 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6476226 - 10/01/16 05:28 PM X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights
bornforit Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Longview, Tx
No pig harmed in video, unfortunately. But a good demo of the pigs ability to see IR light. I also added a photo at the end showing you what the pigs can see from 50 yards away with the photon xt internal IR and a t38...

Brief explanation.

We (Cooga bear and I) got a photo from the game camera and take off from a nearby stand. We work our way in there, standing in the middle of the shooting lane. Unfortunately the pig is off to the left and he cannot see the pig from his angle. Goal was to get a nice comparison video with the photon xt and the x-sight hd. Footage is from the x-sight hd.

Enjoy...

#6476234 - 10/01/16 05:36 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
texashunter900 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Ennis, TX
I agree that they can see the light and have believed this for a while.

Which has the better screen to look at, x sight or photon?

#6476267 - 10/01/16 06:20 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
bornforit Offline
Bird Dog

They seem to very close to one another. We got a video of a rabbit that I put a side by side comparison on but I was trying to wait for a pig kill.

The x-sight hd records at a higher resolution. So it will be an unfair judge of picture.

So far I've noticed:
The x-sight takes forever to turn on. Photon just turns on.
The photon over exposes the picture a lot when you pull it up or moving over bright objects. The x-sight seems to correct the brightness level and make it a little more even.

#6476274 - 10/01/16 06:24 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
Double Naught Spy Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Quote:
But a good demo of the pigs ability to see IR light.

I think you may have misworded this statement. Hogs cannot see IR light. They can see an IR light source that emits non-IR, visible spectrum light. Most IR illuminators used in hunting, such as the ones you demo'd, do emit some visible spectrum light. That is why you can see it as well.

So sure, they see the lights you are using. My guess is that hog may have been hunted by folks using IR lights previously or he has just come to associate unfamiliar lights as a bad thing.

#6476281 - 10/01/16 06:27 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
der Teufel Offline
Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
I've had hogs lift their head and stare at me when I was using an IR light with my Photon. They didn't seem to perceive it as a danger, and so far none have survived the experience to learn from it.

#6476342 - 10/01/16 07:40 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: Double Naught Spy]
bornforit Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
But a good demo of the pigs ability to see IR light.

I think you may have misworded this statement. Hogs cannot see IR light. They can see an IR light source that emits non-IR, visible spectrum light. Most IR illuminators used in hunting, such as the ones you demo'd, do emit some visible spectrum light. That is why you can see it as well.

So sure, they see the lights you are using. My guess is that hog may have been hunted by folks using IR lights previously or he has just come to associate unfamiliar lights as a bad thing.

Correct I misspoke. Thank for correcting.

Possible he has seen it before. But I'd be surprised if he had. We have been flooded out there in the river bottom for all of last deer season thru about July. So we have just started thinning them down.

#6476351 - 10/01/16 07:44 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: der Teufel]
bornforit Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: der Teufel
I've had hogs lift their head and stare at me when I was using an IR light with my Photon. They didn't seem to perceive it as a danger, and so far none have survived the experience to learn from it.

I have too. But this is the first one that was staring straight at me. Maybe that matters. I don't know that much about that. Sure makes me leery using anything that needs IR. I'm saving my pennies for a thermal.

#6476401 - 10/01/16 08:27 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
CharlieCTx Offline
Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
Turn on your illuminator on and look at it from a few feet away. It looks like a red eyeball, a big red eyeball if its behind a magnifier lens. Another reason I switched to thermal.

Charlie

#6476613 - 10/01/16 10:37 PM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
nak Offline
Tracker

Loc: DFW
I've never had a pig show any response to my IR illuminator. I have had them bolt from the sound of the switch clicking at 40 yards.

#6476721 - 10/02/16 06:40 AM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
Deadend Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mineola,TX
This video clearly shows a pig out of a large sounder see the ir light ,I move it with the light
And I was 85 yards from him ,you can see the ir flash on my game cam spook him first ,others have no care

Edited by Deadend (10/02/16 09:55 AM)

#6476735 - 10/02/16 07:21 AM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
TX.Hunter.K.Lewis Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Haslet, Texas
Stupid question as I just purchased a 5-20 XSII and the IR Pro light. Is the red glow coming from the actual light itself or is it another part of the light that might be able to be covered up with say tape or cloth of some sort?

Kevin

--- 1/9 Twist, 16 Inch Wylde Chamber Bushmaster Upper with BCG and Charging Handle 250 dollars
--- Slide Fire stock for AR RH 75 dollars

--- PM me if interested or make an offer

#6476785 - 10/02/16 08:30 AM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
Pigsicles Offline
Light Foot

I have found that having my game cams at a feeder that are IR for night pictures seem to help make the hogs less spooked by IR lights on my Photon / IR light setups. They get use to the IR flashes I suspect.

#6476793 - 10/02/16 08:36 AM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
Double Naught Spy Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
The glow comes from the light itself.

You can go with a higher nm light, moving further from the visible spectrum, and there will be less visible light, but you will also have a marked decrease in performance of the area illuminated without upping the amount of power used. To get comparable performance from a higher nm light, you need more power, assuming all other factors are the same (lens, reflector, etc.)

It also helps if you don't camp out on top of the area where you expect the hogs to be. In other words, if you have a feeder, set up at 100 yards and not 40 or 50. Often, it isn't just the light that the hogs respond to, but it may be part of what convinces them to leave, especially if they think it is too close. Noise and smells also come into play. The more stimulus the hogs have that they don't like, the more apt they are to respond negatively.

As ever, it would seem that lone boars are more skittish than sounders.

#6476803 - 10/02/16 08:41 AM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
TX.Hunter.K.Lewis Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Haslet, Texas
Thanks... great information and advice.

EDIT: Just clicked on your YouTube channel.. I have been a subscriber of yours for a couple months now. Great videos.

Edited by TX.Hunter.K.Lewis (10/02/16 08:42 AM)

Kevin

--- 1/9 Twist, 16 Inch Wylde Chamber Bushmaster Upper with BCG and Charging Handle 250 dollars
--- Slide Fire stock for AR RH 75 dollars

--- PM me if interested or make an offer

#6478174 - 10/03/16 08:32 AM Re: X-Sight HD - Video demoing pigs definately see IR lights [Re: bornforit]
Dalep Online   content
Woodsman

I am looking to buy a NV scope very soon. If you had to buy just one, which would it be? I'll be predominately using it from a treestand so im not certain how important turn ontime is but maybe it is indeed a big deal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide