Forums46
Topics537,035
Posts9,719,689
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: blanked] #6477156 10/02/16 06:24 PM
P
pharmvet Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: blanked
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Teach them what Here means and get them on some wild birds.

Yep. Young dogs on pen raised quail is a bad combo.

Why?

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6477194 10/02/16 07:25 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: pharmvet

Why?

Wives tale. I know of some NSTRA dogs that never saw a wild bobwhite quail their entire life.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6477259 10/02/16 08:13 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: pharmvet

Why?

They don't fly as well so you run the risk of the pup catching the bird which will hurt your training. A good launcher will help.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: bill oxner] #6478079 10/03/16 12:31 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Wives tale. I know of some NSTRA dogs that never saw a wild bobwhite quail their entire life.

That should be a crime.

Last edited by duckbill; 10/03/16 12:31 PM.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6478649 10/03/16 05:30 PM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I'd get them used to a chain gang or stake out at a young age. That is always very helpful. I wouldn't use a collar on them at all. The most I would do would be to put a garmin collar on them so I can see where they are, the most I would do would be to use the vibrate feature if they weren't listening. If you see they have high prey drive for quail, I wouldn't mess with pen raised birds until you really start to train them. Don't let them catch a bird.

Basically their first season, I would teach them basic obedience and manners, and then get them into as many wild quail as possible! Wild quail will teach them a lot on their own, it'll save you time and money spent on pen raised birds. I have a 4 'month old English pointer and that's my game plan for her this year. Obedience and bird exposure!

Say When.....
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6478751 10/03/16 06:34 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Work them walk them teach them one a t a time with the other dog staked out watching and wanting your attention.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: CinchMan] #6478789 10/03/16 06:59 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: CinchMan
I'd get them used to a chain gang or stake out at a young age. That is always very helpful. I wouldn't use a collar on them at all. The most I would do would be to put a garmin collar on them so I can see where they are, the most I would do would be to use the vibrate feature if they weren't listening. If you see they have high prey drive for quail, I wouldn't mess with pen raised birds until you really start to train them. Don't let them catch a bird.

Basically their first season, I would teach them basic obedience and manners, and then get them into as many wild quail as possible! Wild quail will teach them a lot on their own, it'll save you time and money spent on pen raised birds. I have a 4 'month old English pointer and that's my game plan for her this year. Obedience and bird exposure!

Hey CinchMan, can you clean out your PMs so I can send you one?

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: bill oxner] #6478806 10/03/16 07:14 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Teach them to come when called. Take them walking and keep them to the front. That's assuming that you have already socialized them.

If I had to recommend THE single most important thing to put on a young pup before working him on birds his first year... THIS would be it.
Teach him to come back when called in. Once you establish the verbal command and he's working with it well, start following the command with a whistle (2 blasts or 5 blasts or whatever you choose). Bird dogs will always try and hunt into the wind so you are always trying to throw your voice against it to call them back. A whistle adds a few hundred yards and even a GPS on the dog is better! I've had dogs get away before and it sucks... nothing worse than topping a hill that your pup has gone over and there is nothing in sight and you spend the better part of a day looking for a lost dog.

[Linked Image]
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6478849 10/03/16 07:55 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
With so many quail, I don't know why you would mess with pen birds.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: MS1454] #6479235 10/03/16 11:30 PM
P
pharmvet Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
I'm in East Texas and we have ZERO wild birds. I would LOVE to be able to get my pups out in some wild birds right now. I have several hunts planned but can't get on my lease till after deer season. I just want to get these pups at least used to a bird flushing, and more importantly used to gunfire. I've always been told that firing gun while pup is chasing birds is best. I just want to do as much as possible here at home so that my trips out west are not COMPLETELY training sessions. I would like to kill some birds over these dogs this year, especially later, I have heard many experienced bird hunters talk of killing birds over 8-10 month old dogs. Years ago the first pointer puppy I ever owned literally made a dog in 1 weekend. Looked like you flipped the "on" switch when she figured it out. Just wanting to do all I can.
I'm also hauling them in the box some to get them used to being hauled (loading and unloading) and reduce chance of motion sickness later.

Last edited by pharmvet; 10/03/16 11:38 PM.
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6479241 10/03/16 11:34 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm with you. Pen raised quail beats the snot out of no quail at all, plus its fun.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6479365 10/04/16 12:42 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
IMO the first season is to bring out pups desire to hunt and point birds. You can't teach this. Let him chase birds it builds pups desire to hunt and find birds. No discipline. Keep your mouth shut except for praise. Teach pup here and use fresh caught pigeons to chase while while getting used to the gun. That's it first season

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: blanked] #6480076 10/04/16 03:06 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
IMO the first season is to bring out pups desire to hunt and point birds. You can't teach this. Let him chase birds it builds pups desire to hunt and find birds. No discipline. Keep your mouth shut except for praise. Teach pup here and use fresh caught pigeons to chase while while getting used to the gun. That's it first season

^^^^Good Stuff Here^^^

Listen to what he is telling you. Besides, if this bird season pans out like it is shaping up, you will probably be able to break this pup in the field. I would not do anything to this pup but hunt him with a check cord early in the season. While he is chasing pigeons, fire a .22 pistol 180 degrees away from him. Work this process in slowly over a few days before you go to a shotgun. Never fire a gun directly over the pup's head until he has shown enough fortitude and maturity to take it. Take it easy with him, let him have fun, learn from his mistakes, but most of all, kill him a bird every now and then.

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: duckbill] #6480633 10/04/16 08:05 PM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: duckbill
Originally Posted By: CinchMan

Hey CinchMan, can you clean out your PMs so I can send you one?

Sorry. Cleaned them out.

Say When.....
Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: bill oxner] #6484447 10/07/16 12:47 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My neighbor was an architect. He drew theses up like a blueprint. I drew them up on plain paper.

Here's the back view. I added a wire carte. It made it easy to get to the birds. There is one fault in this picture. The sides should not overlap. The front and back should be 48 inches wide where the Johnny house will fit between the wheel wells of a pickup for moving. This plan has worked for me for over 20 years. I gave this one away last year.

I had gotten a request for these plans from Snipe who is a member of THF. I emailed them to him. He's done. Here is his email and picture.

Got the Johnny house into the pasture this afternoon, with 10 quail in it. Thanks again for sharing your pics and plans.

It doesn't take long for the quail to learn to get to the shelf. It helps them with their conditioning.

[Linked Image]

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6491599 10/12/16 02:47 AM
P
pharmvet Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
Fun. Fun. Fun. !!!!!

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6491747 10/12/16 11:06 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Haha! That is awesome Pharmvet. He's about the same age I was when I got started. Does he claim one of the pups as his?

Bobby Barnett

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6491887 10/12/16 01:04 PM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Nice stuff, thanks.

Re: 6 month old English Pointer pups. What simple things should I be doing [Re: pharmvet] #6491894 10/12/16 01:07 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Looks like fun to me.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide