Print Thread
Oh.....come on......! #6474133 09/29/16 11:08 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Do they have a 'Factory' somewhere.....or what?

It's a losing proposition, they make them faster (much faster) than I can get rid of them.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474138 09/29/16 11:12 PM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Need a Gatling gun, or full auto 100 round clip. How about grenades.

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474158 09/29/16 11:24 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Looks like a target rich environment.

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474170 09/29/16 11:29 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Since you may not be able to get a legal, full auto or even a Gatling at a decent price, you may want to consider one of the "Slide Fire" attachments to your favorite AR, and start hosing 'em down! Of course, the real solution to hog eradication is not shooting them but trapping them. Build yourself a big trap and take them out, one sounder at a time. It's the only way to even come close to keeping up with their breeding rates.

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474172 09/29/16 11:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
First world hunter problems, Flint, first world problems. aim

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6474197 09/30/16 12:01 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
First world hunter problems, Flint, first world problems. aim

Truth!

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: mikei] #6474205 09/30/16 12:08 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: mikei
Since you may not be able to get a legal, full auto or even a Gatling at a decent price, you may want to consider one of the "Slide Fire" attachments to your favorite AR, and start hosing 'em down! Of course, the real solution to hog eradication is not shooting them but trapping them. Build yourself a big trap and take them out, one sounder at a time. It's the only way to even come close to keeping up with their breeding rates.

Already trapping (large pen trap), shooting and using snares.

A 'Slide Fire' on my .458 SOCOM would probably jar the fillings right out of my teeth. frown

I'm thinking rocket fired net?

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474261 09/30/16 12:44 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I remember seeing rocket nets used in the John Wayne movie, "Hatari!"

That would be really interesting. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474303 09/30/16 01:08 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have 3 good sized traps and have finally, after years of "killin' 'em one at a time," gotten the hog population under semi-control. It sounds, and looks like you're in feral hog heaven (or Hell, as the case seems to be!) Is your property surrounded by agricultural activities that support the populations you're seeing? Since you're already trapping, snaring and shooting the nasty beasties, but still seeing these large populations, you may need to back up the food chain and figure what's attracting them to your property in spite of all the deterrents you've thrown in their way. This is a bit extreme, but I buried a 4X4 about 75 yards from a feeder that had become a favorite of the hogs, began putting out large amounts of corn, both loose and in hog logs, and once they started using the site regularly, I set up some explosives, hog high, on the post. I set up my ambush from a very safe distance, waited for the sounder to come in, and then shot the tannerite. The big boom only killed a few hogs, but the survivors would not come near the area for almost a year.

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474419 09/30/16 02:41 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Let's see:

1) Fill a small bucket with tannerite
2) Glue buckshot on one side (AKA Claymore)
3) Find a protected spot a safe distance away
4) Let 'em have it!

…maybe pack a few sandbags on the side away from where the hogs will be, leaving access for a detonation shot.

5) Take video and post it here. You can include narration, music, credits, I won't mind!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6474431 09/30/16 02:51 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I remember seeing rocket nets used in the John Wayne movie, "Hatari!"

That would be really interesting. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Yeah, I remember that movie, Red Buttons came up with a rocket fired net to capture a bunch of Monkeys in a tree.

I imagine a sounder of hogs under a net would be similar to the chaos seen in that movie with a couple hundred monkeys under net.

I need an A-10 Warthog, 60 rounds per second.

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474435 09/30/16 02:58 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
mikei wrote:

Quote:
Is your property surrounded by agricultural activities that support the populations you're seeing?

Affirmative.

Quote:
Since you're already trapping, snaring and shooting the nasty beasties, but still seeing these large populations, you may need to back up the food chain and figure what's attracting them to your property in spite of all the deterrents you've thrown in their way.

Good cover, ready food sources in this area, plenty of water sources, property is about 2 miles from a river, terrain and timber combine to form a natural travel-way that tends to funnel them onto our property, and I am cursed (I think).

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474441 09/30/16 03:00 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Colt Gatlin gun

I recommend a full auto, 45-70 caliber, 800 rounds per minute, Hog eradication tool.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474481 09/30/16 04:14 AM
T
Texaslawman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: flintknapper

A 'Slide Fire' on my .458 SOCOM would probably jar the fillings right out of my teeth. frown

There is the problem .458 is for taking down the big ones, one at a time. For killing numbers you need high capacity mags with low recoil!

Pro staff: LWRCI, VORTEX OPTICS, SILENCER SHOP, HORNADY AMMUNITION, Barnes Bullets, Bass Pro Shops, . Huey Outdoors. CMMG INC.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoneStarBoars?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: Texaslawman] #6474699 09/30/16 01:33 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Texaslawman
Originally Posted By: flintknapper

There is the problem .458 is for taking down the big ones, one at a time. For killing numbers you need high capacity mags with low recoil!

No argument there. On occasion I will catch a group far enough out in a pasture to get a second or third shot, but the SOCOM is also a short range cartridge (for practical purposes under 200 yds. 100-150 yds. being better). So it definitely has limitations.

On my property and my Father-in-Laws property, the terrain is mostly wooded and hogs are rarely 50 yds from cover. That is the reason I use 'bait sites' to bring them into a small opening.

If you are patient....often times hogs will either cross paths or even 'line up' when feeding, which affords an opportunity to take more than one with a single shot. I have done that numerous times and always look for that to develop.

But your point is well taken, for quick follow shots...something with less recoil and longer reach is just the ticket. Under my hunting conditions it doesn't usually apply.

For years I was killing hogs with a 7mm-08. It worked OK as long as shot placement (and shot angles) were ideal. But that was just too limiting for me. I had reached a point of battling the hogs...where it was necessary to be able to shoot through light brush and take ANY reasonable angle for the shot. 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' if you will.

I did some research and decided on the 458. It has served me well, particularly with the bigger hogs. It puts them down and they don't get up.

I certainly advocate taking responsible shots (respective to the cartridge and the size of the hog) but I have found that if I use a 405 gr. Remy Soft Point (my staple load) or a Beartooth 525 gr. Piledriver, there isn't an angle that I can't make work.

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474706 09/30/16 01:37 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
They make em while we sleep

Re: Oh.....come on......! [Re: flintknapper] #6474805 09/30/16 02:51 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Kinda like coat hangars in the dark closets at night, right rickym?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide