Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Novice trapper, need some advice. #6460573 09/20/16 07:32 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
So, I HAD about 10 chickens in my coop a couple of weeks ago and over the course of a few days I was cleaned out by some animals that appeared to be different species on different occasions. I have a skunk, a dog of some sort based on the tracks, and a raccoon that I have now confirmed thanks to my new cuddeback. I figured that once the first one was killed the blood just riled up every predator in the area and they're all starting to visit.

I placed a couple of Duke 1.75s down in a couple of areas, one in front of the entrance to where I know 100% the skunk has been holing up in and another right where he's pictured with his tail toward the camera. I also have a live trap setup behind the stables in a corner of older fence wire that blends in so-so. I used some marshmallows as bait in the live trap and scattered some around the skunk entrance. The one by the chicken coop I left baitless since I still have a single chicken left alive and instead used some logs to try and funnel him to that one spot to dig.

I got the positioning correctly, but I had bent the trigger bar up a little to get the trigger to set because it was bent where someone in the store had dropped it. This caused the pan to not set off the trigger and he instead dug it up and kind of just cast it aside and luckily he gave up before he got into the coop. This works out for me I suppose, because he will not consider the trap a threat and I've never trapped on the 100 acre property before so he's not shy at all. I re-bent the bar and adjusted it for a lighter weight then purchased a couple of DPs and plan on using some mouse based predator bait, but was wondering if maybe there were some better options for coons. I've never trapped before so I just watched a couple of YT videos and rolled with it. I'm sure some of you guys have done this plenty of times and probably know much better than me.

He's a big one though, because those bottom boards are about 10-12" tall meaning he's at least 12-16" at the shoulder. I'm hoping I'll have myself a new hat for the hunting season and that I'll be able to put some more chickens out once I catch god knows what else is there.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6460874 09/20/16 10:24 PM
N
New Hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Thanks for sharing. I like the new hat idea. Tough loss on the chickens.

New Hunter

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6460979 09/20/16 11:11 PM
B
Blackrain Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
The dog proofs are good, 220 conibear in the opening is deadly as well as snares. This site will help you. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Trapper_Talk and has links to trapping supplies on the top of every page.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: Blackrain] #6461292 09/21/16 02:34 AM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Blackrain
The dog proofs are good, 220 conibear in the opening is deadly as well as snares. This site will help you. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Trapper_Talk and has links to trapping supplies on the top of every page.

Nice, thanks.

I didn't want to use the conibears because I have some cats around the farm that are in the same area. They haven't messed with the marshmallows and I'd like them to make it through this if possible, they help with the rodents in the feed rooms. I set up the DPs and we'll see what happens. They're pull traps, so I'm hoping I won't catch as many non-targets.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6461583 09/21/16 12:20 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Use the box trap to catch the skunk, bait it with ca/dog food and set near the hole, then brush in the back and sides with whatever you have. Once you catch it, walk up slowly with a tarp held out in front of you, lay it over the trap and haul it wherever. For the coons, the easiest trap would be the Dukes dog proofs, then put your marshmallows in and let them fall under the trigger.

Most of the time a trap is dug up, is because you left scent on it (leg hold style) biggest concern with scent is trapping coyotes, but a coon will smell it and dig looking for food.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6461647 09/21/16 01:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You can get snares, Connibears and DP traps at Lyssy & Eckels in George West. I have caught coons, possums and skunks in DP traps using a variety of baits. Fire ants are your worst enemy with any soft bait, so set them at or close to dark. You might try to cage up the cats if you use a connibear trap for a night or two.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6462055 09/21/16 05:42 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Thanks for the tips guys, I got him (her) last night. Going to place some more traps along the creek and the pond to catch any that might be in the area besides her, because I'm sure there's males where the female is. Also leaving a couple around the coop just in case, I can catch some possums with the DPs from what I've read as well. Poor gal got all the marshmellows and kept going, greed did her in. Not real big, but she'll do for some bait and maybe an ammo pouch.

Going to move the foot holds further back and bait them using the raccoon carcass. Will try a conibear in a boxtrap for the skunk.

Last edited by TheWhiteMexican; 09/21/16 05:44 PM.
Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6463520 09/22/16 04:19 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
so what do yall do with the skunks you catch?

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6463544 09/22/16 04:38 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Chut'em in the head

Dennis

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #6463628 09/22/16 05:26 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Never caught one, so I'm not real sure. Been reading up on different methods and how to deal with them.

Checked the gamecam this morning and I feel a little uneasy, lol. Pulled up a few pictures and on separate occasions over the course of a few hours I have: 2 bobcats, 3 possums, and what appears to be 1 more raccoon show up. That poor chicken is risking her life for the greater good, but she looks good still. I left a leg hold trap down, and one of the cats stepped on it but there was too much dirt and the trap was set a little off (it's the bent one so it's causing a lot of issues). I blame my own inexperience, but again it's not a bad thing because they stepped and nothing happened then continued to cruise around the coop so they weren't scared by it. I reset it and adjusted and triple checked it, will put some predator bait and lure down to get him drawn in tonight if he comes back.

I also took that raccoon carcass and tossed it into the middle of some brush, staked down the trap and set it about 10" back from the raccoon right in the middle of a natural funnel. I covered him up with the brush a bit to make it look natural and there is some soft grass that overhangs over the trap so there's nothing visible. It seems like a perfect natural backing, don't think I could have crafted a better looking spot. Hopefully they'll catch wind of him and I'll have another shot there.

Going to bait the DPs with catfood since they're pull triggers and if a cat gets caught in there I'll just let him out, they shouldn't though I haven't seen them on the gamecam at all. Possums didn't go for the marshmallows it seems.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6463741 09/22/16 06:53 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican

Never caught one, so I'm not real sure. Been reading up on different methods and how to deal with them.

Checked the gamecam this morning and I feel a little uneasy, lol. Pulled up a few pictures and on separate occasions over the course of a few hours I have: 2 bobcats, 3 possums, and what appears to be 1 more raccoon show up. That poor chicken is risking her life for the greater good, but she looks good still. I left a leg hold trap down, and one of the cats stepped on it but there was too much dirt and the trap was set a little off (it's the bent one so it's causing a lot of issues). I blame my own inexperience, but again it's not a bad thing because they stepped and nothing happened then continued to cruise around the coop so they weren't scared by it. I reset it and adjusted and triple checked it, will put some predator bait and lure down to get him drawn in tonight if he comes back.

I also took that raccoon carcass and tossed it into the middle of some brush, staked down the trap and set it about 10" back from the raccoon right in the middle of a natural funnel. I covered him up with the brush a bit to make it look natural and there is some soft grass that overhangs over the trap so there's nothing visible. It seems like a perfect natural backing, don't think I could have crafted a better looking spot. Hopefully they'll catch wind of him and I'll have another shot there.

Going to bait the DPs with catfood since they're pull triggers and if a cat gets caught in there I'll just let him out, they shouldn't though I haven't seen them on the gamecam at all. Possums didn't go for the marshmallows it seems.

Do you have a yard perimeter/fence around this area? The chicken coop standing alone is not enough. A solid perimeter or two is the best medicine, some sort of net wire works well. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you have the coop and create a yard for them within another larger yard, they will be safe from most predators. Keep a dog in the yard, then all you have to do is watch out for hawks. White chickens are hawk bait unless you get a smart one. I like to create a couple of doorways/thresholds to the coop at varying levels off the ground. I usually have the first entry have a fence slat laying vertical partially buried so there is a 6 inch or so jump to go through. Then a a covered area another entry higher up then the are where boxes actually are. Create little alleys against a barn or fence for them as a run/entry point.. This helps with snakes and lets them defend the coop. Also by doing this you make it difficult for something to find the entry point as well.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6463782 09/22/16 07:17 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
The coop is about 20x8 fully enclosed with a metal roof and uses 2x4s on the bottom with chicken netting and attached to it is a 24x6 open top chainlink run. These are inside a yard, but don't let the dogs out mainly because I have lost a few to Javelina fights.

The issue that caused all of these chickens to be killed was that the chicken netting (which holds in chickens but apparently aint worth a spit otherwise) was torn open and a small hole was made. Through this 4-6" hole the coon and/or possum was able to slip in and bite the heads off of 3 and take one the first night. I covered and patched it up, but the second night they dug under the semi-buried 2x4 and through that bit off the heads of the remaining ones and made off with another smaller hen. The last 2 I lost it seems like a large coyote or possibly a dog went and mashed in the fence enough for one of the smaller animals to slip through after they gave up. The scent from the chickens that were being killed probably brought them in.

I fixed all the issues that I could see and the hen is still alive, I'm converting some horse stalls into a big chicken coop right now and will look to complete that before I replace the hens that were taken. In the mean time, if this last hen has to take one for the team to get whatever else is still out there then it's a sacrifice I'll make, but I don't think they'll get her through the gauntlet I laid out. I'm just using her to bring them in for the camera to see what the heck is going on.

Last edited by TheWhiteMexican; 09/22/16 07:18 PM.
Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6463906 09/22/16 08:43 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican
The coop is about 20x8 fully enclosed with a metal roof and uses 2x4s on the bottom with chicken netting and attached to it is a 24x6 open top chainlink run. These are inside a yard, but don't let the dogs out mainly because I have lost a few to Javelina fights.

The issue that caused all of these chickens to be killed was that the chicken netting (which holds in chickens but apparently aint worth a spit otherwise) was torn open and a small hole was made. Through this 4-6" hole the coon and/or possum was able to slip in and bite the heads off of 3 and take one the first night. I covered and patched it up, but the second night they dug under the semi-buried 2x4 and through that bit off the heads of the remaining ones and made off with another smaller hen. The last 2 I lost it seems like a large coyote or possibly a dog went and mashed in the fence enough for one of the smaller animals to slip through after they gave up. The scent from the chickens that were being killed probably brought them in.

I fixed all the issues that I could see and the hen is still alive, I'm converting some horse stalls into a big chicken coop right now and will look to complete that before I replace the hens that were taken. In the mean time, if this last hen has to take one for the team to get whatever else is still out there then it's a sacrifice I'll make, but I don't think they'll get her through the gauntlet I laid out. I'm just using her to bring them in for the camera to see what the heck is going on.

What is the yard fence?

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6463919 09/22/16 08:53 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Yard fence is chainlink and wooden boards in the front, won't keep anything out if they wrap around to the front of the house.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6470196 09/27/16 12:39 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: 7x57
Yard fence is chainlink and wooden boards in the front, won't keep anything out if they wrap around to the front of the house.

I would work on this maybe try electric single strand or they have the electric net wire now.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #6473726 09/29/16 05:46 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: 7x57

I would work on this maybe try electric single strand or they have the electric net wire now.

I really don't see myself putting that kind of effort into it, I hadn't had any problems prior and things seem to have leveled back out.

After the original raccoon, I've caught another coon and a possum. I caught what I think was probably another coon, but who knows. It rained and the ground softened up and whatever it was took off with my DP trap, leaving my 24" rebar stake thrown on the ground. I tried to track him down because I didn't like the notion of an animal dying like that, but he got down to the creek and who knows where he ended up. It was either a really big boy or something (maybe someone) came by and grabbed him while he was in the trap, but the rain washed away the tracks and my cuddeback got an error or something so I had no pictures to see what the heck happened. The tracks I found further down the fence belonged to a big coon, so I'm assuming that's what it was.

I had that flat set using the carcass further down and of all things to get caught I snagged 2 buzzards two days in a row. Stopped setting it up and moved them around to see if maybe I can catch something using a dirt hole and avoid catching birds.

Replaced the missing DP

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6475174 09/30/16 08:16 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Caught another big coon last night. He tore the chicken netting all to hell trying to get out of the trap, but didn't even budge the stake which adds to the mystery of my missing DP. Who knows, but this guy was a nice boar maybe around 15-20 lbs. Knife was dull and I tore his dang tail at the tip so I won't be able to use him as a hat. realmad

Maybe some mitts.

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6475441 10/01/16 12:42 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
How did you try to get the tail off the bone? You can pull it clean with 2 wood dowel rods, I have even used rebar in a pinch, then you only need to cut the hide loose at the base of the tail. This video will give you the idea what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJCNFXHgmA

Dennis

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: Western] #6475544 10/01/16 02:35 AM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Western
How did you try to get the tail off the bone? You can pull it clean with 2 wood dowel rods, I have even used rebar in a pinch, then you only need to cut the hide loose at the base of the tail. This video will give you the idea what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJCNFXHgmA

I tried to split the tail and then pulled it when I got to the tip, but the hide got torn a bit I guess from the dulling knife and it tore a patch off.

I'll give the dowels a try next time, thanks!

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6475676 10/01/16 11:18 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Something else I have used that makes it easier (works great on a coyote) Air compressor and about 30-40 psi, small air tip, insert in to bullet hole, or a new small cut where you will split the hide later, make sure the air nozzle/needle is between the hide and 1st tissue layer., Wont loosen the whole hide from the tissue, but will get most of it if you have a few points of entry.

Dennis

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6484199 10/06/16 09:29 PM
7x57 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Got my first double yesterday, coon/skunk wombo combo. Even managed to dispatch the skunk without him spraying.

Trapping is addictive. Gonna have a lot of fur!

Re: Novice trapper, need some advice. [Re: 7x57] #6520971 11/01/16 03:15 AM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I live near a creek and have a coop. I built mine with a 2x4 frame, with old barn tin layed long ways on the bottom perimeter, then used some 1x2 square wire mesh/fencing from the tin up to the top, over the roof is half tin other half the 1x2 wire. also along the entire outside I have lined it with large limestone rocks. have been going good for awhile, haven't lost one yet. the chicken wire they sell at the store isn't worth jack. good luck on rebuilding the flock.

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide