Print Thread
How much practice before the season kicks off. #6456759 09/18/16 03:04 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Just wondering how much do ya'll practice before the season starts. I've been shooting almost every evening in Sept. I'm hitting where I want to hit pretty regularly. Not doing any robinhooding but pretty confident. Will be my first year trying to take a whitetail with stick and string. Deer on my place in October just seem like they are much more relaxed so I had to get into some Archery. I'm enjoying the heck out of it now.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6456793 09/18/16 03:47 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
You have probably shot more in the last week than I have in a month, but I shoot some every week year round. For myself I will get serious in the next week or so if my sore wrist lets me, aggravated an old injury a few days ago.

In a relaxed shooting session I determine how far I will shoot a day or two before season. For me that is how far I can group all the arrows in a 4 inch group, usually around 35 yards for me so will not take shots past that distance and prefer shots to be around 25 yards or less. I know deer lungs are a lot bigger than my self imposed 4 inches but I like to be as certain of my shot as I can be.

Have been at this bow hunting thing off and on since 77 and use it a lot just to get out there and if a shot opportunity presents itself that are within my self imposed limits and the animal is calm I will take the shot, otherwise just enjoy the hunt.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6456942 09/18/16 01:17 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Anyone can hit a target with enough practice, but shooting a living wild animal is a completely new ball game.
First know your comfort range and wait for the animal to get into that range.
secondly don't get antsy and rush your shot. That is probably the worst thing that a bowhunter can do. Take your time and calm your nerves before you release your shot.
Practice is good to develop your strength and muscle memory, but most of all confidence.
Too much practice you may become tired and develop bad habits so don't over do it. The more you shoot, you will understand what I'm saying and know when to stop.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: Jimbo] #6458021 09/19/16 03:02 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Anyone can hit a target with enough practice, but shooting a living wild animal is a completely new ball game.
First know your comfort range and wait for the animal to get into that range.
secondly don't get antsy and rush your shot. That is probably the worst thing that a bowhunter can do. Take your time and calm your nerves before you release your shot.
Practice is good to develop your strength and muscle memory, but most of all confidence.
Too much practice you may become tired and develop bad habits so don't over do it. The more you shoot, you will understand what I'm saying and know when to stop.

I hear ya at first the shoulder was tired. Like Kmon1 said I'm goint just enjoy the hunt. If a shot or two present themselves thats just gravy. Not sure why but my bow shoots around 4-6 inches high at 15 yards. I know I need lots more practice and also need to pick the brain of an experienced bowhunter.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458052 09/19/16 03:22 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I generally shoot the weekend before season, then I go out opening day and shoot a deer.
That is the way I do it every year, and it works.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458058 09/19/16 03:33 AM
C
cowboybam58 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
practicing on targets is good for muscle memory and checking equipment, but when the adrenaline kicks in and your breathing gets shallow, it's a whole new set of problems. Had a buddy tell me a few years ago to run a lap or two around the yard and then shoot while you're trying to catch your breath. And only shoot one or two arrows and then do it again. Simulates the actual scenario and it works. First time shooting at an animal after trying it I found I was much calmer and more confident in my shot. Usually only do this during season a time or two before my next hunt.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458107 09/19/16 05:00 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: blazin
Not sure why but my bow shoots around 4-6 inches high at 15 yards. I know I need lots more practice and also need to pick the brain of an experienced bowhunter.

What bow are you shooting and type of sights?

Something you will notice after picking up bow hunting deer, you will learn more about deer by bow hunting for deer than you do hunting with a gun since you have to be closer and observe deer more since you do have to get closer. See a deer at 50 to 300 yards or more with a gun and if you want it the hunt is over, with a bow you watch it, try to call it closer, wonder if you need to move your stand...

/

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458265 09/19/16 01:11 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I'm shooting a "el cheapo". Its a Martin threshold, I've got a whisker bisquit and a truglo 3 pin sight. Small stabilizer up front, one string stop and a couple of bow string silencers. I think I gave 150 bucks for the thing new and an old friend put on all the aftermarket rests,sights etc.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458320 09/19/16 01:38 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I shoot year round. But I hunt year round as well. I shoot pigs all the time in the off season. Mostly though, I enjoy shooting. I find it to be something that clears my mind and focuses me. Stress relief and keeps my muscle memory sbarp.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458595 09/19/16 04:06 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Every other day, getting the old arms and shoulder in a little more shape.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6458994 09/19/16 08:29 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I pulled out my crossbow this past Friday and shot 2 bolts at 18 yards. I was off at dead center by 1" high. Almost hit my same hole on the second shot. My stand to the feeder is 15 yards. Shot with my broadheads and the same arrows which I will use. I'm ready!

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6459242 09/19/16 10:58 PM
P
PaulsBunyan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Had to adjust my crossbow scope and shot a few arrows from the compound a few days ago. Kind of find myself getting lazy in practicing with crossbow or compound because they aren't really hard to use in my opinion. Now if I was hunting with traditional gear I would be practicing daily.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6459243 09/19/16 10:59 PM
P
PaulsBunyan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I won't shoot past 30 yards by the way.

Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6459837 09/20/16 11:29 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
A lot of guys have trouble the first time they go after a deer is because they've been practicing all summer shooting targets and they max out their bows to shoot at the highest poundage they can thinking speed kills.
That is true, but after you've been sitting in a blind on a cool morning and the biggest buck of your life walks out, all of a sudden you don't have the strength to pull the bow back.
It's happened to a lot of us. It's a type of buck fever us bowhunters can experience at the moment of truth.
The way to prevent that is lower your poundage on your bow. It's not the masculine thing to do, but believe me the first time you freeze up you will understand.
I've always hunted with my bow set at 64# and never had that problem again.
Lowering the weight also quiets your bow which makes up for the minimal lack of speed.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: How much practice before the season kicks off. [Re: SouthWestIron] #6459877 09/20/16 12:26 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Two of the biggest mistakes hunters make when it comes to bow hunting is practicing standing up and assuming your broadheads will fly like your field tips. It's a night and day difference drawing 70 lbs sitting compared to standing for most folks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide