facebook
Forum Stats
60416 Members
45 Forums
475635 Topics
6239471 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6457725 - 09/18/16 06:59 PM Determining between private vs public while hunting on public land.
thewrap Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Lubbock, Texas
I have a hunt in New Mexico in November and I'm wanting to know is there a detailed map or survey that can tell me where private and public lands begin and end. I know the area that I'm hunting on is mixed between private and public.

#6457779 - 09/18/16 07:29 PM Re: Determining between private vs public while hunting on public land. [Re: thewrap]
Sneaky Online   content
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
The maps I've seen do a decent job, but aren't specific enough for me to be comfortable. You may be able to get an ownership plot map or something. I'm not sure. I use onxmaps GPS cards, so I haven't needed anything else. If you have a GPS unit that takes them, it's a hundred bucks well spent.

#6458283 - 09/19/16 08:17 AM Re: Determining between private vs public while hunting on public land. [Re: thewrap]
Dry Fire Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
The private land should be posted. In New Mexico all all land is considered public, unless posted. A Garmin with GPS and maps download would be a good investment.

#6458315 - 09/19/16 08:36 AM Re: Determining between private vs public while hunting on public land. [Re: thewrap]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

Just stop by the BLM office and they will sell you a map or give them a call and they'll mail you one.

#6458343 - 09/19/16 08:55 AM Re: Determining between private vs public while hunting on public land. [Re: thewrap]
billkd Offline
Outdoorsman

You can use the Onxmaps on your smart phone also. OnX Mobil APP
I'll be using this in New Mexico Unit 31 in two weeks for antelope and in November for mule deer.

The app will let you download topos, aerial photos, street maps and other stuff ahead of time so you don't need mobile service. Your phone GPS will locate you on those maps even without cell service. You can also do a 1 year subscription for $30 for a land ownership overlay for New Mexico that will let you you see the background map, the public/private boundaries, and you all at the same time. It has some basic owner info for the private land as well.

I was also able to import a .kmz file into the app that I created in Google Earth which has boundaries for the antelope ranch I'm hunting and some critical waypoints. That's just overlaid on top of the other data so it can be seen all together.

If you go this route be sure to bring a way to charge your phone in the field. The GPS seems to burn a lot of juice.

#6458755 - 09/19/16 12:58 PM Re: Determining between private vs public while hunting on public land. [Re: billkd]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Originally Posted By: billkd
You can use the Onxmaps on your smart phone also. OnX Mobil APP
I'll be using this in New Mexico Unit 31 in two weeks for antelope and in November for mule deer.

The app will let you download topos, aerial photos, street maps and other stuff ahead of time so you don't need mobile service. Your phone GPS will locate you on those maps even without cell service. You can also do a 1 year subscription for $30 for a land ownership overlay for New Mexico that will let you you see the background map, the public/private boundaries, and you all at the same time. It has some basic owner info for the private land as well.

I was also able to import a .kmz file into the app that I created in Google Earth which has boundaries for the antelope ranch I'm hunting and some critical waypoints. That's just overlaid on top of the other data so it can be seen all together.

If you go this route be sure to bring a way to charge your phone in the field. The GPS seems to burn a lot of juice.

Lots of good info

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide