Print Thread
Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW #6454846 09/16/16 04:50 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The dog got bit last doing her bedtime potty patrol, in my back yard.

Contacted the Texas A&M Small Animal Emergency Clinic Hotline couple times, and want to thank them for their patience in walking us thru the event. That Emgcy # is: 979-845-2351, and is a direct line.

We learned a bunch in very short time from the Vetenary lady at the A&M Call Center. Long story short...1. Rattle snake bites will/can bleed from the anti coagulents in their venom and need to be treated by a professional vet. 2. Copperhead bites will swell and affect the ability to breath. 3. Bug/spider bites can be misdiagnosed as copperhead bites, or vice versa.

Our first clue when the dog came in from the back yard was the heavy choking & gagging all of a sudden, then a sudden swelling of a ping pong ball sized soft liquid filled lump at the bite site - in our case under her jaw on the bottom lip, that has now moved to her throat area. Then the dog's obvious severe pain to the touch at the bite site looking for the teeny tiny fang marks that we never did find in her thick fur.

Benedril is the only drug that was recommended for this copperhead bite, and is dosed based on weight that as determined by a Vet professional.

Hope ya'll never go thru a nite like we had last nite...and my mutt is eating now hard food and drinking LOTS of water this morning, running around the yard looking for squirrels as per usual. BUT...She now does Odie Helicopter jumps at the sight of a tree limb laying in the grass that could be a potential snake too. Hard way to learn this lesson...hope it saves her life from a buzztail bite.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6454852 09/16/16 04:53 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Wow! That stinks!!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6454855 09/16/16 04:55 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Glad to hear the pup is going to be ok and thanks for the heads up on different diagnosis.

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6454858 09/16/16 04:56 PM
East Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yep

mine got bit too, was at the vet this morning. Shaved and cleaned area, steroid shot, and some antibiotics

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6454861 09/16/16 04:57 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Glad she is okay.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: ZK-315] #6454890 09/16/16 05:14 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Glad to hear the pup is going to be ok and thanks for the heads up on different diagnosis.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: BenBob] #6454898 09/16/16 05:21 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Glad she is okay.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6454915 09/16/16 05:44 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I live southeast of San Antonio and have a small Dachshund (weiner) dog and he has been bitten by copperheads about 5 times in the last 6 years. He is 8 years old now. He always comes out ok. He barks at the snake then tries to kill it by shaking it. Every time he gets bitten on top of the nose or side of the nose. His face swells up and he hardly moves around. I just give him plenty of water and in 2 - 3 days the swelling goes down and he's fine. The vet says that he is probably building up an immune to the toxin. Copperhead toxin is not that bad. Rattle snake is very bad. Glad your pup is ok.

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6454933 09/16/16 06:10 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
My 11 year old slightly overweight French Brit's face is now all swollen up and looks like a St Bernard below her eyes. Looks like she's got another bite location on the bony part of the top of right foot just below the wrist too, and sore enough that she will not let us touch it. we are about 14 hours in past the event.

Wonder if she killed the snake...I can't find it though. She hunts stuff on the ground and shakes anything she catch's to kill it anytime she can catch one...and we've built on that teaching her to "Beat It Up" on command. A buddy's Scot's Terriers hunted water moccasin's around the pond in Richardson behind his house, double teaming them....leaving the dead snakes on his patio as trophy's.

Otherwise she's pouting and getting her feelings hurt when we won't let her out the door to go run hard after a critter she can see from the Den windows...Sits up and begs for the bendril pills wrapped in a piece of smoked turkey sandwich meat...she's gonna work this deal for all it's worth looking for treats ans goodies...and is now a sleep in MY Big Leather Chair...Oh Well

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts...I think we'll be OK in a couple days....just put the A&M Small Animal Hotline phone # in your phone and not depend on getting the referral from 911 or the Local Leo's...I got the number from the Anderson County Sheriff's Dept 911 operator as she said you might try this aa last resort, when I asked for any ideas on where to get help, since there are no All Nite Vet's here, which I appreciate to no end.

** edited to add All the 911 LEO folks I talked to here in Palestine last nite were more than helpful and interested...just no local Vet services open after 5pm is the bottom line. FWIW, there was a phone # I got for a late nite Vet in Tyler, somewhere on the SW Loop that the person did not know anything for sure about and thought they were closed after Midnite. Google was worthless too.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/17/16 12:45 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6455408 09/17/16 12:04 AM
Q
QuackerJacks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Q
Thanks for the #. My lab got bit on the nose by a rattlesnake 2 yrs ago. Horrible experience, she was in bad shape for a month with skin sloughing off and swelling. Definitely bled a lot more than expected. Vet treated her for 2 weeks. Thankfully we weren't bent over when it came time for the bill. I'm definitely more careful now.

Eastland vet is definitely a good man. Local Sheriff gave us his # and he left his granddaughters bday party on a Sunday to meet us.

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6455425 09/17/16 12:18 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Great Info WileyCoyote, we had the same thing happen to our Australian Shepard in the spring with a copper head and we provided Benadryl immediately and after a few days the swelling started to go down and the sensitivity to the area went away. I felt for the dog due to breathing difficulty.

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #6455508 09/17/16 01:10 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
X's 3

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6455548 09/17/16 01:33 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Glad your pup is recovering.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6456330 09/17/16 08:04 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I've had two rattlesnakes in my yard this week. I've managed to keep the dog away from them. I keep my grass short and leaf litter mulched up. Even still, I just mowed and mulched again to be on the safe side. Snakes are moving.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6456657 09/18/16 01:47 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Glad the dog is ok.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6456955 09/18/16 01:32 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Thanks for the kinds words. Looks like she's made a complete recovery and has returned to her normal activity levels of guarding "her yard" ...just doesn't stick her nose in every nook and cranny the way she did.

If this incident will save her from a more serious snake bite, we got off easy ..and she is cautious about every little tree limb on the ground, but has not "alerted" on anything I've seen.

My next job is to eradicate the ever thickening grove of bamboo that is invading from an adjacent property, without killing the mature pine & oaks in the area. This hopefully will help to eliminate some of a snakes food source habitat.

I have alerted couple of the neighbors, and was told that a #2 pencil sized copperhead had been killed last week around a pile of construction material in the guys back yard. So I am not alone in this problem.
Ron

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6457006 09/18/16 02:21 PM
S
snoopy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Hunter Daddy
I live southeast of San Antonio and have a small Dachshund (weiner) dog and he has been bitten by copperheads about 5 times in the last 6 years. He is 8 years old now. He always comes out ok. He barks at the snake then tries to kill it by shaking it. Every time he gets bitten on top of the nose or side of the nose. His face swells up and he hardly moves around. I just give him plenty of water and in 2 - 3 days the swelling goes down and he's fine. The vet says that he is probably building up an immune to the toxin. Copperhead toxin is not that bad. Rattle snake is very bad. Glad your pup is ok.
Courageous beast but he may be a bit of a slow learner. grin

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #6458376 09/19/16 02:17 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6462269 09/21/16 07:35 PM
T
texaspirate Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Copper head is Very bad dude

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6462754 09/22/16 12:52 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I look like I am walking through a Land Mine Field on the way to the Truck in the mngs roflmao

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6463034 09/22/16 03:50 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Good that the pooch is alright. Scary stuff for sure.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6463104 09/22/16 10:58 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Glad your dog is okay. Sounds like a horrible night.

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6463550 09/22/16 04:44 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Ours got nailed while I was walking him in our front yard. I keep the grass mowed very short all year 'round but neither me or our Dachshund saw the snake until after the bite and it was crawling away.

Thankfully...not a large envenomation...but painful. Though bitten on the paw...the swelling went all the way up to his shoulder. I took these pics early after the bite...the swelling got much worse than pictured, but started to go down the next day.

This occurred several years ago and Otis (the Dachshund) still does not like to have that paw handled (trimming nails, bathing, etc).

My Chocolate Lab was bitten 3 times in our back yard. Each time at night. He just would NOT let a Copperhead pass. I would find him all swollen up in the morning...and a dead Copperhead laying in the yard.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6464037 09/22/16 10:12 PM
C
C.K. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Scary, could've easily been your leg. Can't stand the copperheads

Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote] #6464400 09/23/16 02:19 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I am getting my dog his first shot of the year tomorrow, but won't let him Tim around the ranch until he has the booster in a month. We have come across too many this year to chance including a adult timber rattler tomorrow.

Big Beckett!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide