6238192 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6454846 - 09/16/16 11:50 AM Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW
WileyCoyote Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
The dog got bit last doing her bedtime potty patrol, in my back yard.

Contacted the Texas A&M Small Animal Emergency Clinic Hotline couple times, and want to thank them for their patience in walking us thru the event. That Emgcy # is: 979-845-2351, and is a direct line.

We learned a bunch in very short time from the Vetenary lady at the A&M Call Center. Long story short...1. Rattle snake bites will/can bleed from the anti coagulents in their venom and need to be treated by a professional vet. 2. Copperhead bites will swell and affect the ability to breath. 3. Bug/spider bites can be misdiagnosed as copperhead bites, or vice versa.

Our first clue when the dog came in from the back yard was the heavy choking & gagging all of a sudden, then a sudden swelling of a ping pong ball sized soft liquid filled lump at the bite site - in our case under her jaw on the bottom lip, that has now moved to her throat area. Then the dog's obvious severe pain to the touch at the bite site looking for the teeny tiny fang marks that we never did find in her thick fur.

Benedril is the only drug that was recommended for this copperhead bite, and is dosed based on weight that as determined by a Vet professional.

Hope ya'll never go thru a nite like we had last nite...and my mutt is eating now hard food and drinking LOTS of water this morning, running around the yard looking for squirrels as per usual. BUT...She now does Odie Helicopter jumps at the sight of a tree limb laying in the grass that could be a potential snake too. Hard way to learn this lesson...hope it saves her life from a buzztail bite.
Ron

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#6454852 - 09/16/16 11:53 AM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Wow! That stinks!!

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6454855 - 09/16/16 11:55 AM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
ZK-315 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Temple...Hunt in Freestone Co.
Glad to hear the pup is going to be ok and thanks for the heads up on different diagnosis.

#6454858 - 09/16/16 11:56 AM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
East Online   content
Mr. BM

Loc: East Texas
Yep

mine got bit too, was at the vet this morning. Shaved and cleaned area, steroid shot, and some antibiotics

#6454861 - 09/16/16 11:57 AM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
Glad she is okay.

#6454890 - 09/16/16 12:14 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: ZK-315]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Glad to hear the pup is going to be ok and thanks for the heads up on different diagnosis.

#6454898 - 09/16/16 12:21 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: BenBob]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Glad she is okay.

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6454915 - 09/16/16 12:44 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
Hunter Daddy Offline
Outdoorsman

I live southeast of San Antonio and have a small Dachshund (weiner) dog and he has been bitten by copperheads about 5 times in the last 6 years. He is 8 years old now. He always comes out ok. He barks at the snake then tries to kill it by shaking it. Every time he gets bitten on top of the nose or side of the nose. His face swells up and he hardly moves around. I just give him plenty of water and in 2 - 3 days the swelling goes down and he's fine. The vet says that he is probably building up an immune to the toxin. Copperhead toxin is not that bad. Rattle snake is very bad. Glad your pup is ok.

#6454933 - 09/16/16 01:10 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
My 11 year old slightly overweight French Brit's face is now all swollen up and looks like a St Bernard below her eyes. Looks like she's got another bite location on the bony part of the top of right foot just below the wrist too, and sore enough that she will not let us touch it. we are about 14 hours in past the event.

Wonder if she killed the snake...I can't find it though. She hunts stuff on the ground and shakes anything she catch's to kill it anytime she can catch one...and we've built on that teaching her to "Beat It Up" on command. A buddy's Scot's Terriers hunted water moccasin's around the pond in Richardson behind his house, double teaming them....leaving the dead snakes on his patio as trophy's.

Otherwise she's pouting and getting her feelings hurt when we won't let her out the door to go run hard after a critter she can see from the Den windows...Sits up and begs for the bendril pills wrapped in a piece of smoked turkey sandwich meat...she's gonna work this deal for all it's worth looking for treats ans goodies...and is now a sleep in MY Big Leather Chair...Oh Well

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts...I think we'll be OK in a couple days....just put the A&M Small Animal Hotline phone # in your phone and not depend on getting the referral from 911 or the Local Leo's...I got the number from the Anderson County Sheriff's Dept 911 operator as she said you might try this aa last resort, when I asked for any ideas on where to get help, since there are no All Nite Vet's here, which I appreciate to no end.

** edited to add All the 911 LEO folks I talked to here in Palestine last nite were more than helpful and interested...just no local Vet services open after 5pm is the bottom line. FWIW, there was a phone # I got for a late nite Vet in Tyler, somewhere on the SW Loop that the person did not know anything for sure about and thought they were closed after Midnite. Google was worthless too.
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (09/16/16 07:45 PM)

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#6455408 - 09/16/16 07:04 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
QuackerJacks Online   content
Woodsman

Thanks for the #. My lab got bit on the nose by a rattlesnake 2 yrs ago. Horrible experience, she was in bad shape for a month with skin sloughing off and swelling. Definitely bled a lot more than expected. Vet treated her for 2 weeks. Thankfully we weren't bent over when it came time for the bill. I'm definitely more careful now.

Eastland vet is definitely a good man. Local Sheriff gave us his # and he left his granddaughters bday party on a Sunday to meet us.

#6455425 - 09/16/16 07:18 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
BowsnRods Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bandera County
Great Info WileyCoyote, we had the same thing happen to our Australian Shepard in the spring with a copper head and we provided Benadryl immediately and after a few days the swelling started to go down and the sensitivity to the area went away. I felt for the dog due to breathing difficulty.

#6455508 - 09/16/16 08:10 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: TXHOGSLAYER]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
X's 3

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6455548 - 09/16/16 08:33 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
Halfadozen Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
Glad your pup is recovering.

#6456330 - 09/17/16 03:04 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
I've had two rattlesnakes in my yard this week. I've managed to keep the dog away from them. I keep my grass short and leaf litter mulched up. Even still, I just mowed and mulched again to be on the safe side. Snakes are moving.

#6456657 - 09/17/16 08:47 PM Re: Copperhead's are out at nite RIGHT NOW [Re: WileyCoyote]
Curtis Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
Glad the dog is ok.
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide