Print Thread
Are you ethical? #6454420 09/16/16 08:58 AM
D
Deersteaks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
This is a tough question for some bow hunters to answer when pride gets in the way. Here's what I mean. When you shoot(or shoot at) a deer, do you wait for a proper broad side or quartering away shot? Another question, if you hit the deer high and it hits the ground in its tracks, do you celebrate and fist pump, or do you recognize the fact that while the deer will eventually die, it takes a while and is probably suffering to some degree, which means an "Immediate" follow up shot is needed! This question may seem elementary to some, but to others it may not be thought of at all. I watch a lot of self filmed videos on YouTube that are shot by regular guy's like you and me who are just trying to share their experience with others which I'm all for. But the problem I'm finding all to often is poor judgement from what appears to be experienced hunters. If a deer is working his way in to you and is not on alert, then there is really no reason to take a shot while the animal is facing or quartering towards you. Be patient and you tracking job will be much easier and likely as not, a lot shorter. Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine. If you shoot a deer and he drops in his tracks, then you have almost certainly hit it to high.This requires an instant follow up shot to secure the animal for good and to keep it from suffering. You can always celebrate later, but for the sake of the animal and to keep it in good taste for others if you are filming it, be ethical and dispatch it quickly. As I said, I am an experienced hunter, but I am not heartless and despise seeing a spine shot deer (or any animal) trying to drag itself off while people are high fiving in the stand. We are all brothers in the greatest fraternity there is. Lets keep it that way and pass it along to the next generation to come. It is OUR responsibility.

Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6454494 09/16/16 12:12 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Thankfully I have never shot a deer in the spine (yet) but if I did I would definitely follow up quickly with a kill shot.

Since I don't film my hunts, I don't fist pump or go nuts when I kill a deer (or whatever). I feel good inside, but I certainly don't act like a nut in my tree stand. Usually I am in agony over fretting if it was a good shot and will it be a short recovery! I don't even phone anyone after I shoot a deer . I ALWAYS wait until I recover my kills before I call my boys.

So no, I don't get excited after a shot and a good hit, I just agonize over whether it was a quick kill unless I see it drop!

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6455483 09/17/16 12:54 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I take quarter away and broadside shots, preferably looking the other way.

Spine shots, always a follow up shot quick as possible.
Fist pumping, I hunt by my self, so no I don't act like a damn fool. Forrest

Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6455515 09/17/16 01:14 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Spine shot I followup quick as I can. Have done one with a bow.

As for the shot broad side or prefer a little quartering away. If those are not presented then wait for another chance.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Are you ethical? [Re: kmon11] #6455663 09/17/16 02:56 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I've had two spine shots and followed both up with another arrow quickly. I don't really feel bad about them though. Both were quick recovery without bumping a wounded deer through the woods.

Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6455739 09/17/16 03:46 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've got my standards to which I hold myself to. If you hunt around me enough you'll know what they are.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6456952 09/18/16 01:28 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You hunt long enough with a bow it's going to happen.
I hate it when it does, and I follow up with another shot a soon as I can.
Who would high five before dispatching that deer?

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6457095 09/18/16 03:40 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Some of the boneheads on hunting shows apparently. The reality in that is often the follow up shot is edited out. They really did get it done quickly but the power of editing, re-shooting a scene etc for better TV often doesn't tell the whole story. The last two seasons I hit a doe in the spine. Immediate follow up shots quickly bled them out. One was from a ladder stand not 175 yards from camp I corned the road and hunted between rain showers as a buddy watched from camp through binoculars. I think for most experienced hunters it would come naturally. Unfortunately with TV people are trying to act a part sometimes.

And ethics is personal. To me something that is "unethical" to others is not. Like gut shooting a hog on purpose so it will run off and die away from the pasture/hunting area or whatever. So when you ask a question like that I think most people on this forum would say "Yes I am." However your standard may be different than theirs.

James 4:17 tells us "Therefore whoever knows the right thing to do and does not do it—for him it is sin."

We have to do what is right within what our understanding is.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6459031 09/19/16 08:46 PM
D
Deersteaks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Well said passthru, well said! I started this post with all hunters in mind, but more especially, younger or inexperienced hunters. I would agree with most everything said above, and I for one would not do the "gut shot hog" thing, but to each his own. But we certainly don't need to load the "ANTI HUNTER'S" propaganda guns for them either. Not counting TV shows, videos are readily available on YouTube to be watched by or posted by anyone who likes to hunt. These are the ones I'm mainly concerned with. Just trying to make our outdoor brothers aware that our actions are watched and judged, good or bad by the public, and that we should strive to be good examples of what a real-true hunters are.

Re: Are you ethical? [Re: Deersteaks] #6459046 09/19/16 08:58 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
There is one guy on TV - Stan Potts I think is his name - that I absolutely think he may be filming his own heart attack whenever he kills a deer. It is borderline insanity the convulsions and seizures he puts himself through after every kill. He does everything but vomit.

As far as gut shooting hogs on purpose - absolutely NOT! I always go for a clean, ethical shot. I am a hunter and love to eat animals, but I don't get my jollies by inflicting suffering on any one of them. Those hogs are just trying to make a living like the rest of us - they sure didn't ask to be born a hog!

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide