Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bees in the deer blind #6453103 09/15/16 01:25 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
We have a deer blind that is on a metal stand that sits 20 feet off the ground. The blind is wood and has an insulated floor frame. The roof over hangs the sides about 15 inches. There are bees inside the floor frame and a HUGE honey comb full of bees hanging outside the blind just under the roof eve. The honey comb is about 2 foot wide by 3 foot long and a foot thick and covered in bees. We want to save the metal stand but we don't need the blind anymore. What would you do to get rid of them?

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453113 09/15/16 01:30 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Locate a bee keeper in the area and have them come get the hive.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6453157 09/15/16 01:51 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Yep, way too many bees for you to do it yourself.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453249 09/15/16 02:35 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Got the makings right there for your own bee/honey operation and setting up for ag exemption. Find a beekeeper that I'm sure would help you out on the removal as others have said

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453259 09/15/16 02:39 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453261 09/15/16 02:40 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Bet these folks could help locate a beekeeper near you:

http://texasbeekeepers.org/contact/

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453265 09/15/16 02:45 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
That is really sad....RIP

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453283 09/15/16 02:56 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453329 09/15/16 03:23 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Man I thought this said " BEERS in the blind"! Got me excited! The answer is yes, BTW.

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Mr. T.] #6453336 09/15/16 03:26 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Yep, way too many bees for you to do it yourself.

Plus the location (height) is a big complication, may try the sheriffs office, many have a list of beekeepers for swarm removal. What county is this in? If am am close enough, I'd take a look.

BTW, living as they are and in good numbers, makes them likely great bees since they have proven they can survive the new threats bees face now, they would be great stock to have in an apiary as long as they arent Africanized.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453351 09/15/16 03:37 PM
T
TX0303 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
You may have to forego that stand this year and hope they relocate.

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453353 09/15/16 03:38 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Like western said be carefull that they arent killer bees!

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453357 09/15/16 03:41 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Just stand below it and shake it really really hard

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453486 09/15/16 05:39 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
BIG C... we both have our blinders on!

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6453565 09/15/16 06:24 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
With only reading the header, the first and only thought that popped in my head was burn it to the ground. After reading it all same conclusion.

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #6453616 09/15/16 07:05 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Vernon, if you will do it, I will run the camera grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6454330 09/16/16 03:31 AM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
HONEY!!!!!! Get the honey!!!!

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Western] #6454341 09/16/16 03:38 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Vernon, if you will do it, I will run the camera grin

OK, whats in it for me....?

BTW, I have a suit....

I'd collect them or smoke them out and seal the nest with foam.

There's a game warden in this world, probably lurking, who used to own a honey business....

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6454450 09/16/16 11:05 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If you were located close I would loan you my bee suit. I would try to find someone to collect them and the honey. I would definitely build a new box blind, IME they will keep coming back to the old location due to the smell of the honey. I have fought them in an old farm house for the past 8 yrs now. I have foamed the holes and they eat through the foam to get to honey/comb. Try to kill them with 7 Dust and Demon WP. It moves them away temporarily since I have not been removing the honey/comb in the walls. They just move down the outside wall to a new crack or hole in the wall and start over. They also now under the back porch(concrete) in a difficult location to even get to with an entry hole under the back door that goes under the house, then into the concrete porch. I think there are now 4 locations in that old house with bees. Once I put a new blind up in that same location I would put in the ProZap No Pest strips in the blind during the off season and while you are hunting. That will help keep them out of the blind in the future along with keeping wasp/yellow jackets out of it this fall.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: stxranchman] #6454668 09/16/16 02:25 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
If you were located close I would loan you my bee suit. I would try to find someone to collect them and the honey. I would definitely build a new box blind, IME they will keep coming back to the old location due to the smell of the honey. I have fought them in an old farm house for the past 8 yrs now. I have foamed the holes and they eat through the foam to get to honey/comb. Try to kill them with 7 Dust and Demon WP. It moves them away temporarily since I have not been removing the honey/comb in the walls. They just move down the outside wall to a new crack or hole in the wall and start over. They also now under the back porch(concrete) in a difficult location to even get to with an entry hole under the back door that goes under the house, then into the concrete porch. I think there are now 4 locations in that old house with bees. Once I put a new blind up in that same location I would put in the ProZap No Pest strips in the blind during the off season and while you are hunting. That will help keep them out of the blind in the future along with keeping wasp/yellow jackets out of it this fall.

I'll bet that in the near future we'll see stxranchman honey on the grocery shelves! roflmao

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Jimbo] #6454675 09/16/16 02:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I'll bet that in the near future we'll see stxranchman honey on the grocery shelves! roflmao

That won't happen with that place due to the fact they have been hit with 7 Dust and Demon WP of the past 8 yrs. This would have been much easier to get to had they not attacked me when I was mowing around this old portable smoker box. I had mowed close to it for two years and never knew they were there till this day. Got bit 12-15 on the back of my neck, ears and top of my head that day. I took my anger out on them with Liquid 7 and soapy water that night.

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6454681 09/16/16 02:36 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Nowdays it's dangerous because of the killer bee's. I've heard of people attacked out in the woods just for using a chain saw or mower.
Bee's scare me ever since I came face to face with a hive after ducking under a low hanging tree branch. Luckily they didn't attack me as I made a hasty exit.
I also had a scare while sitting in my stand and I heard the unmistakable drone sound of a swarm approaching and going over my head.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/16/16 02:38 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6454701 09/16/16 02:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Yes sir the do. Bees can be in a hollow tree or old piece of farm equipment or deer feeder or shed or old building or storage shed or camphouse or ?????? Just cuz they weren't there last month does not meant they did not move in. When I sprayed the bees in that old house with Demon WP in October they was not activity at all for the next 2 months till I went to the rural water meter box to get the monthly reading. Luckly it was a 36 deg Jan day when I open the cover and was greeted by a new honey comb and wad of bees. I had a dozer operator out 2.5 yrs ago pushing an old fenceline so I could rebuild the fence. I went to check on him and found him off his dozer at his truck. He was laughing and said he hit a limb with the top of roll cage on his dozer and broke a Live Oak limb off. It was hollow down into the trunk and full of bees. He was heading to town to get a bee suit so he could finish that section of fence. Luckily he was only hit 3 times and the bees weren't the africanized ones. That tree is on the neighbors land I and told him about so if he went down the fenceline to watch out. He told me he was allergic to bees. Not sure if it just me but it sure seems to be more bees around the South Texas area in the past 10 yrs than ever in my lifetime.

Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: Hunter Daddy] #6454706 09/16/16 02:49 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Get your overpriced Epi-pen if you need it!...... if they are African would not mess with them, regular
honey bee get with your local bee expert.

hunt safe....... watch for ground hornets too!

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Bees in the deer blind [Re: stxranchman] #6458270 09/19/16 01:13 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Yes sir the do. Bees can be in a hollow tree or old piece of farm equipment or deer feeder or shed or old building or storage shed or camphouse or ?????? Just cuz they weren't there last month does not meant they did not move in. When I sprayed the bees in that old house with Demon WP in October they was not activity at all for the next 2 months till I went to the rural water meter box to get the monthly reading. Luckly it was a 36 deg Jan day when I open the cover and was greeted by a new honey comb and wad of bees. I had a dozer operator out 2.5 yrs ago pushing an old fenceline so I could rebuild the fence. I went to check on him and found him off his dozer at his truck. He was laughing and said he hit a limb with the top of roll cage on his dozer and broke a Live Oak limb off. It was hollow down into the trunk and full of bees. He was heading to town to get a bee suit so he could finish that section of fence. Luckily he was only hit 3 times and the bees weren't the africanized ones. That tree is on the neighbors land I and told him about so if he went down the fenceline to watch out. He told me he was allergic to bees. Not sure if it just me but it sure seems to be more bees around the South Texas area in the past 10 yrs than ever in my lifetime.

We fought off bees from an old farm house that we tried to remodel. It got so bad we gave up. The whole place was a nest. Went in after a hard freeze and the whole bottom floor was covered in them.

When I was a kid I broke a oak limb off on horseback under a gate so we could pass...dumb. Had somewhere around 120 stings after the horse went haywire and bucked me off. I remember turning around as I came off and his whole hindquarter was covered. Took a while to find the horse.

Found two big hives high up in oak trees this year. The trees just have that vibrating sound you can barely hear from the ground until you pay attention. Haven't seen many in the last ten years or so.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide