Print Thread
Pointer Training? #6452863 09/15/16 04:38 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I am interested in the process of training a pointer and specifically a GSP or might look into a French britt. I'm not in the market right now but maybe down the road sometime it might be somethings I try to do.

I've researched most of the popular retriever programs like Lardy, Hillmann, Evan Graham and Dennis Voigt.

What programs are out there for training upland dogs?

I assume a lot of the training up to FF is similar but then changed a lot after that. I have no clue what whoa training is or any of that jargon.

Oh and my buddy just raised 1200 quail (if you are needing birds let me know) so I've got a bird source and plenty of land to train.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Pointer Training? [Re: BradyBuck] #6453166 09/15/16 01:56 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is the program that I use. I save FF for after the pup is holding points.

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I've had a few PMs asking about my training method. I did this on another forum, so I still have the pictures in my album, so here goes;

All bird dogs point. The breaking process teaches them to hold point. There are two ways to teach a dog to hold point, with dozens of variations. The first way is to let the birds train the pups. That generally involves launchers and pigeons, with some whoa breaking mixed in. It's very effective. I use the Delmar Smith method, substituting the e-collar for the bump under the chin. My dogs are completely whoa broke before I put them on birds. I use pen raised quail, because I can be done with them for the summer. I like to start in August, and finish in time for hunting season.

I start off on the whoa post. I introduce the e-collar the same day, that I introduce the whoa post. Here's cracker on her first day with the whoa post;

I keep them on the whoa post only until I can get out in front of them, and then go to the yard for heel and whoa. Cracker tended to sit, so I had to start with the suitcase hitch. I go from the yard to longer walks. The pup has pretty well gotten it down after three weeks.

I then go from the walks to whoa in the field. Here's Cracker in the field in the field, before I put her on birds. This whole process has taken me around four weeks.

This is her first day on birds. I train alone, so I had to plant the bird, where I could wrap the CC around a bush. Notice the slack CC.

I kept her on the CC for three training days. She only went around on the bird one time. Here she is after 9 training flushes.

I started walking some of the birds out after a few days. Here you go;

A little side note. My birds were not recalling all that well, so I used Cookie to point them while I netted them;

A lot depends on the pup, and you have to adjust for each pup. Cracker has never taken out a single pointed bird or covey.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pointer Training? [Re: BradyBuck] #6599116 12/23/16 02:24 AM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Thanks Bill!

I wanted to bring this thread back up. Any other suggestions on specific programs or good material out there to read or DVDs? There is a ton of retriever stuff out there but doesn't seem much on upland hunting.

Re: Pointer Training? [Re: BradyBuck] #6599144 12/23/16 02:45 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Re: Pointer Training? [Re: 68rustbucket] #6599181 12/23/16 03:14 AM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket

I'm leaning toward this set

http://gundogsupply.com/pestpefisetd1.html

Re: Pointer Training? [Re: BradyBuck] #6599928 12/23/16 05:37 PM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I like the huntsmith method..videos r available...much of it is similar to steps Bill outlined

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide