Print Thread
Allergies, losing hair, etc #6450344 09/13/16 05:04 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Help!! My black Lab is licking her hair off in small spots around the root of her tail, losing hair in others (in addition to shedding), and seems pretty miserable at times with scratching and licking. I've rolled her around countless times looking for fleas and haven't seen any. She says inside during the day and sleeps inside, so I keep a close watch on fleas. I've quizzed my wife repeatedly about any new products she might have brought into the house that Lilly might be allergic to, but my wife insists she hasn't changed anything. There aren't any new plants in the yard, either, so I'm at a loss. She's vaccinated and on heart worm preventative...she's a healthy, active girl, too. ETA that I haven't changed her food or treats recently and that all of this started a few weeks ago.

I've already taken her to the vet where she got a steroid injection that calmed things down a bit, and we're scheduled to go back tomorrow. I hate to keep having to have her get injections, though.

Should I bathe her more often than once every two or three weeks? Are there any OTC products I should start giving as supplements? She's the best dog, and I hate to see her uncomfortable!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Budgeteer; 09/13/16 05:05 PM.

"Hee cannot be a gentleman whych loveth not a dogge." --Anonymous, The Institucion of a Gentleman (1555)
Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6450347 09/13/16 05:07 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Change her feed.

Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6450357 09/13/16 05:17 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Going to a food with no corn or wheat ended all those problems for me. I didn't have to go grain free, just corn & wheat free.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6450396 09/13/16 05:55 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Going to a food with no corn or wheat ended all those problems for me. I didn't have to go grain free, just corn & wheat free.

Thanks to CCBIRDDOGMAN and scalebuster for the recommendations. Just to confirm, she could develop allergies to food that she's been on for at least three years? Also, any specific recommendations on a corn and wheat free feed?

"Hee cannot be a gentleman whych loveth not a dogge." --Anonymous, The Institucion of a Gentleman (1555)
Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6450415 09/13/16 06:06 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Dogs get seasonal allergies - both of my labs have them badly. It's allergy season. A lot of times they really start to show up around 2 years of age. Get a good oatmeal shampoo and go that route. You can safely give Zyrtec to dogs (daily). We give our labs Apoquel and it makes a great deal of difference, however even getting it at cost it is still expensive.

Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6450538 09/13/16 07:20 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: Budgeteer
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Thanks to CCBIRDDOGMAN and scalebuster for the recommendations. Just to confirm, she could develop allergies to food that she's been on for at least three years? Also, any specific recommendations on a corn and wheat free feed?

Yes, just like people they can "become allergic" to something later in life. And it could be that it doesn't affect them real bad but after 3 years it has gotten bad. may not be your problem but I can tell you, I dealt with all the skin allergies with a few different dogs over the years, but since I cut out Corn & Wheat, I haven't had an issue. I feed Diamond naturals Lamb & Rice.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6450548 09/13/16 07:27 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Thanks!!!

Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6450775 09/13/16 10:05 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
If that doesn't work change the protein in her food.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: kindall] #6450937 09/13/16 11:52 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Could be mites. They get down in the follicles of hair. Buster had some hair loss on the back of his neck and head. We changed feed. We dipped him. Took him the Vet twice. Finally I got rid of Busters by following this: http://recycledpetsnorcal.org/fight-the-mite-the-safe-way/

The food that is working the best is http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4health-salmon-potato-formula-for-adult-dogs-35-lb-bag

Bobby Barnett

Re: Allergies, losing hair, etc [Re: Budgeteer] #6451362 09/14/16 04:23 AM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Budgeteer
Help!! My black Lab is licking her hair off in small spots around the root of her tail, losing hair in others (in addition to shedding), and seems pretty miserable at times with scratching and licking. I've rolled her around countless times looking for fleas and haven't seen any. She says inside during the day and sleeps inside, so I keep a close watch on fleas. I've quizzed my wife repeatedly about any new products she might have brought into the house that Lilly might be allergic to, but my wife insists she hasn't changed anything. There aren't any new plants in the yard, either, so I'm at a loss. She's vaccinated and on heart worm preventative...she's a healthy, active girl, too. ETA that I haven't changed her food or treats recently and that all of this started a few weeks ago.

I've already taken her to the vet where she got a steroid injection that calmed things down a bit, and we're scheduled to go back tomorrow. I hate to keep having to have her get injections, though.

Should I bathe her more often than once every two or three weeks? Are there any OTC products I should start giving as supplements? She's the best dog, and I hate to see her uncomfortable!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a female setter that has the worst skin allergies I have ever seen. I have spent a lot of money on vet visits and drugs attempting to help her out, mostly to no avail. I knew I was fighting a staph infection from my visits with the vet. I have fought this for over a year trying everything. She has made real nice progress over the last couple of months. She is starting to look healthy again with hair growth and lots of energy all the sudden. Here is what I am now using that looks promising:

1. Ivomec once a month.
2. Bathe once a week with Hartz Oatmeal Shampoo
3. Changed her feed to a lower protein. Purine Healthy Choice...plus a can of dog food daily.
4. I am giving her 2 Regular One Daily Women's vitamins that I bought off the shelf in Walmart. These are the Equate brand. The vitamins support bone and heart health, immune health, energy metabolism, and healthy hair.

It has been a hard battle but I am seeing amazing progress with using this regimen. She was so bad for so long with no luck on curing, that I felt like I was going to have to make a hard choice on my favorite dog. I think we have now turned the corner on these allergies. I really feel that the double dose of the vitamins has been the key.

Last edited by NorthTXbirdhunter; 09/14/16 04:26 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide