Print Thread
You outboard guys I need some advice! #6448714 09/12/16 04:22 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Ok so I have a 2 cylinder, 1979 25 hp evinrude that is in pretty good shape and not a lot of use on it. It was stored unused for many years. I recently rebuilt the carb, has brand new plugs, new fuel pump, new coil packs, new power pack, and all new fuel lines. It has been running great for months, but the last 2 times I've used it after cold cranking it the engine bumps and sputters like its missing even if I try and run up the Rpms. If I put it in gear and take off it will quit fairly quickly. Once warmed up it runs like a champ at high end and just fine at idle. I'm kind of at a loss of what to troubleshoot. Any ideas?

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449000 09/12/16 07:55 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Does it have a rich and lean knob that you can turn?

This is pretty common on these old Evinrude/Johnsons.

I had a 25hp and a 9.9 that does that. On my 9.9 I can adjust the rich/lean and it'll help it a bit.

Have a friend who has a newer model (early 90's) that does the same thing. Always chalked it up to a dirty carb, but since you rebuilt it I don't know what to tell you.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449085 09/12/16 08:40 PM
F
fishon1017 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Don't know much about engines but had one do the same thing. Turned out to be water in the gas. Sits for awhile water sinks to bottom, hard to start and no get up and go. After a while the gas mixes enough with water to run again. The water sinks back to bottom after a period of time and same problem.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449270 09/12/16 10:08 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Sound's to me like lean sneeze. As mentioned above adjust the mixture of gas then adjust your air fuel mix knob. I had one and ran 50 to 1 ratio

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449308 09/12/16 10:31 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Other than already posted. Make sure you got the right plugs. If you let the motor on it's side, you likely have fowled plugs. You might try opening the gap slightly for a better idle. I used to carry some ether and a plug wrench for one small air cooled 5 horse outboard I had because just bouncing down the road would cause my plugs to get fouled. Dump your gas and try new making sure the mix is correct or buy it premixed for trouble shooting. If you ran old gas, you may need to dump out your carb and spray it out even though you just rebuilt it. You could also go one hotter plug and open the gap a little for a worn motor, but at your own risk as it could damage your engine. Also check for any minute air leaks at your gas line fittings.
Good luck.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449472 09/13/16 12:18 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks guys you've given me something to try. The gas was fresh and shouldn't have water in it but I'll dump the remainder and set the tank out in the sun to make sure there is no moisture in the tank. I was running 50:1 mix. It's easy to start. Just a couple of pulls while cold. No power loss at all.

It does have a Needle valve that only adjusts the low speed idle. The high speed is a fixed orfice. I was getting a lean sneeze before. But when I was running high end with a warm engine, and then throttled back to idle it would sneeze. I richened it and it went away. Now it's doing opposite while a cold engine.

I'll pull the plugs and check them, make sure they are right. I'll check all my hoses for air leaks.

Thanks again for giving me a place to start looking.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449721 09/13/16 03:04 AM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Check the hoses and check the quick connect fittings. That happened to mine also. It was sucking air instead of having a good seal. Cheap 5$ part. I learned to carry an extra one w me.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449830 09/13/16 05:45 AM
O
outfitter1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Look At Your Fuel Pump Diaphragm It May have a pin hole in it. It'll start put in gear and will die as you accelerate.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6449953 09/13/16 12:52 PM
A
Astater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Things that have caused that for me are similar to what the guys have posted:

1) Mice chewed a hole in a fuel line.
2) Water in gas
3) Bad seal somewhere on the tank/lines/hand pump

The things we do for ducks...
NRA Life Member
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Lifetime License/Member
Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6450177 09/13/16 03:00 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
are you putting stabl for boats in your gas??? That would help address the water issue.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Astater] #6450240 09/13/16 03:37 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Astater
Things that have caused that for me are similar to what the guys have posted:

1) Mice chewed a hole in a fuel line.
2) Water in gas
3) Bad seal somewhere on the tank/lines/hand pump

you might also check for an air/check valve on the top right. sometimes and air bubble can get caught and you can loosen the valve, start it, then re-position the valve to correct the idle. I think the carb on my mariner 25hp is similar and I have the same problem sometimes. THis is usually the solution

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6450243 09/13/16 03:40 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Everyone runs scared of water in the fuel. If you have a plastic removable tank that is kept indoors I highly doubt you have a water problem.

I would check the plugs if they are not champions then get some champions. Also like SniperJohn said opening up the gap a little may help. The book calls for a 0.030 gap, my old evinrudes (1957 and a 1985) always ran better gapped around 0.040.

I think you can rule out the leaking fuel system, if it was a hole in the diaphragm or fuel delivery issue you would have trouble getting to full power, not idle.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: redchevy] #6450275 09/13/16 04:12 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Everyone runs scared of water in the fuel. If you have a plastic removable tank that is kept indoors I highly doubt you have a water problem.

I would check the plugs if they are not champions then get some champions. Also like SniperJohn said opening up the gap a little may help. The book calls for a 0.030 gap, my old evinrudes (1957 and a 1985) always ran better gapped around 0.040.

I think you can rule out the leaking fuel system, if it was a hole in the diaphragm or fuel delivery issue you would have trouble getting to full power, not idle.

I do have a plastic tank and the boat is kept indoors. My entire fuel line system including the tank, hose, couplings, bulb, fuel lines in and outside the engine is only 4 to 5 months old. I replaced the fuel pump too because I was getting engine surge and loss of power at high speed. I figured it was a hole in the diaphragm. Replacing the pump corrected that issue promptly so I don't believe the fuel pump is the issue.

The plugs were champion and the right plugs and not really fouled, but I went ahead and replaced them with new ones just now since they are cheap and gapped them at .030 per my service manual. I'll keep the wider gap idea in my mind if I still get issues.

I also just pulled the air box, drained the carb and sprayed some carb cleaner in the barrel as well as bowl drain. When I blew it out with my air compressor I noticed some water on the engine case just outside the drain hole. I'm not 100 percent it came from inside the carb, but it may just have. It may well be a water issue after all. I still need to drain my tank and purge my hoses. I will let you know when I fire it up.

I was not using staybil in the gas because I've been using it frequently and burning up most of the gas between trips and just putting in fresh before every time out. But there is less than a gallon residual each time.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6450284 09/13/16 04:20 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
If you are using premix fuel, where you put the oil in the gas in the tank, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

If you read on the jug of fuel oil, all of them I have ever used said they served as a fuel stabilizer.

I have had E-10 mixed 50:1 with penzoil 2-stroke oil only no other stabilizer or additive used sit in a plastic 12 gallon tank in a boat in the dethatched garage for over 2 years, fire crank and run fine. I just don't believe its water unless there was water in it when you bought it or it rained in it etc. I got water in my lawnmower gas a while back, it did not run. Being that the motor runs fine except for warm idle I don't think its a fuel quality problem.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: redchevy] #6450339 09/13/16 05:00 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
If you are using premix fuel, where you put the oil in the gas in the tank, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

If you read on the jug of fuel oil, all of them I have ever used said they served as a fuel stabilizer.

I have had E-10 mixed 50:1 with penzoil 2-stroke oil only no other stabilizer or additive used sit in a plastic 12 gallon tank in a boat in the dethatched garage for over 2 years, fire crank and run fine. I just don't believe its water unless there was water in it when you bought it or it rained in it etc. I got water in my lawnmower gas a while back, it did not run. Being that the motor runs fine except for warm idle I don't think its a fuel quality problem.

It's not premix. It's 89 octane gasoline with 50:1 mix of quicksilver marine 2 stoke synthetic oil from academy/Walmart.

The motor runs just fine on warm idle. I've only noticed the issue when I first cold crank it. The engine jerks enough to rotate the motor on its own. It I immediately throttle up on plane it goes away. If I drop back to idle speed on a warm engine it still runs fine at idle. Like I said it's been running fine for months now, but the last two times out this last week is when I got the issue.

I have trailered it a few times in the rain but I didn't think rain could get in the tank.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 09/13/16 05:09 PM.
Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: outfitter1] #6450381 09/13/16 05:45 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: outfitter1
Look At Your Fuel Pump Diaphragm It May have a pin hole in it. It'll start put in gear and will die as you accelerate.

yes. check the pump.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: reeltexan] #6450590 09/13/16 07:51 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Originally Posted By: outfitter1

yes. check the pump.

I have, plus it's brand new

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6450738 09/13/16 09:38 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
If it were me, I would send Guy a PM, he is good with solving problems with motors and fuel issues. grin

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6450826 09/13/16 10:33 PM
A
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
What color are the spark plug tips, and the ceramic area? it is possible that the plugs are partially fouled from having a rich mixture and will be black. Once started and warmed up the plugs could become more efficient. Even if 1 plug is breaking down it can have an effect.
If the plugs have a nice tan color the mixture should be ok.
A rich mixture will have dark or black plugs and have a lot of girgle especially at low end and take a while to blow out during acceleration.
A lean mixture can cause a bog or stumble and possible lean out from fuel starvation especially when cold.
Spark plugs are like ford chevy, my dirt bike ran better on NGK, my mercury 2 stroke runs fine on champion.
Old gas can start to break down from the ethanol and start to block the jets. A lot of variables.
If you can look inside the gas tank the water will be at the bottom of the tank, tilt the can at an angle and look in the low corner of the tank for water.
Check for tight carb bolts and no vacuum leaks.
Good luck

Last edited by allterrain; 09/13/16 10:34 PM.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6451197 09/14/16 02:16 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey

I have trailered it a few times in the rain but I didn't think rain could get in the tank.

Look at it this way. With the vent left open on the tank. The rain cools the tank. Rain water and moisture gets sucked back into the tank with the air as the pressure changes.

Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Sniper John] #6454894 09/16/16 05:16 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Look at it this way. With the vent left open on the tank. The rain cools the tank. Rain water and moisture gets sucked back into the tank with the air as the pressure changes.

That makes complete since, and was likely what happened. I finally got around to getting fresh fuel this morning and cranking her up. She seems to be running like a champ again. The small amount of water that possibly came out of the carb leads me to believe you water theorists were right. I changed the plugs, but the old ones were not fouled so I'm fairly certain water was my issue.

Thanks a million for everyone's help. Y'all got me back up and running with little headache. Cheers and happy shooting to all the dove and teal hunters out this week. Be safe!

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 09/16/16 05:17 PM.
Re: You outboard guys I need some advice! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6454961 09/16/16 06:48 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

That makes complete since, and was likely what happened. I finally got around to getting fresh fuel this morning and cranking her up. She seems to be running like a champ again. The small amount of water that possibly came out of the carb leads me to believe you water theorists were right. I changed the plugs, but the old ones were not fouled so I'm fairly certain water was my issue.

Thanks a million for everyone's help. Y'all got me back up and running with little headache. Cheers and happy shooting to all the dove and teal hunters out this week. Be safe!
up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide