Print Thread
Ear protection!! #6446755 09/10/16 10:06 PM
L
Littlejr13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has the Ghost stryke ear protection and how they work. After this morning and 7 hours later from the teal hunt and my ears are still ringing decided I have to get something. If not ghost stryke what are u guys using?

Last edited by Littlejr13; 09/10/16 10:07 PM.
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6446761 09/10/16 10:14 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Health Enterprises ACU-LIFE Shooter's Ear Plugs (Sonic Valve II) (NRR 18) ($10.18), but I'm adding GhostStryke to my Amazon wish list (in Tan). 'Never heard of them before. Thanks for posting. Protect your frickin' ears! Your grandchildren will thank you for it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6446790 09/10/16 10:49 PM
R
Roc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
You can not have hearing protection and hearing yourself blowing a duck call. It just doesn't work. And also when wearing protection you can't hear the birds over head at they call. So you just suffer and pay the price later.

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Roc] #6446796 09/10/16 10:57 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Roc
You can not have hearing protection and hearing yourself blowing a duck call. It just doesn't work. And also when wearing protection you can't hear the birds over head at they call. So you just suffer and pay the price later.
this is why you hunt with a buddy, he calls and listens for the birds

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Roc] #6447106 09/11/16 03:58 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I completely disagree with that statement. You will wish you did too one of these days. Your hearing is of utmost important to protect. Once it's gone you won't ever get it back. I saw the sad results with my grandfather who couldn't even carry on a conversation because he couldn't hear. His quality of life was ruined.

I wear electronic ear muffs and they work great except on the Windiest days. I can hear myself call and hear the birds overhead just fine and it immediately cuts out the gunshot.

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Spacemonkey] #6447124 09/11/16 04:22 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey

I completely disagree with that statement. You will wish you did too one of these days. Your hearing is of utmost important to protect. Once it's gone you won't ever get it back. I saw the sad results with my grandfather who couldn't even carry on a conversation because he couldn't hear. His quality of life was ruined.

I wear electronic ear muffs and they work great except on the Windiest days. I can hear myself call and hear the birds overhead just fine and it immediately cuts out the gunshot.

I'll second this. I didn't protect my hearing enough as a young man and I'm suffering for it now. Hunting, as much as I love it, is something I love to do but don't have to do. Hearing is something I have to do every day. My penalty for not being smart when I was younger is ringing in my ears 24/7, sometimes bad enough to affect my sleeping. Birds are not worth your hearing. It's easy to say you'll deal with it later when you're not dealing with it now. I can tell you from personal experience it's miserable.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Grizz] #6447134 09/11/16 04:38 AM
K
kweber Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: Grizz

I'll second this. I didn't protect my hearing enough as a young man and I'm suffering for it now. Hunting, as much as I love it, is something I love to do but don't have to do. Hearing is something I have to do every day. My penalty for not being smart when I was younger is ringing in my ears 24/7, sometimes bad enough to affect my sleeping. Birds are not worth your hearing. It's easy to say you'll deal with it later when you're not dealing with it now. I can tell you from personal experience it's miserable.

this right here....
"you'll get used to it" is BS
"it'll go away" is BS
first-hand experience....

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6447221 09/11/16 12:42 PM
H
Hogflyer Online Happy
Tracker
Online Happy
Tracker
H
Never used those, we use the simple foam orange plugs that furnish for us at work..... seem to do ok, only thing if
your buds are across a big pond at you, they start yelling at you, you cannot hear them.
thought about those auto shut on-off molded plugs, but i can find something else to spend 300$ on electronic gadgets.

hunt safe.....

No birds here in hill country...... norther yesterday moved them on, what few we had left..... back to catfishing.....

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Roc] #6447507 09/11/16 05:30 PM
T
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

I've been wearing Radians camo electronic muffs for a decade now. Based on my experience with them I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I wouldn't shoot 3" magnums at ducks without them for anything. Being blessed with perfect hearing at 40 is not something I take lightly. My dad and mother in law wouldn't be able to function in society without very expensive hearing aids. Nuff said!

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6447608 09/11/16 06:46 PM
L
Littlejr13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Well 24 hrs later and my ears are still ringing. It's def a wake up call! I ordered them. I'll put up a review after I get them.

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6447847 09/11/16 09:36 PM
S
Sailor Soane Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I use these and am surprised at how well they work. I never use my electronic ones anymore: http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

Hunt all day and never have any fatigue.

Last edited by Sailor Soane; 09/11/16 09:36 PM.
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6448242 09/12/16 02:25 AM
T
Tvilbig Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I got a set of these after my father in law got some. Noise canceling and sound amplifying low profile and comfortable. I wore them out dove hunting this year and it didn't effect my shooting (meaning I shot like chit like normal). My ears weren't ringing and I could still hear my buddies calling out to me from across the field. Best $40 I've spent in a long time.

I used to put hundreds of 5.56 rounds downrange in a day and I wish I would have had a good set of ear muffs like this and used them instead of the issued earplugs that we got. They would fall out or come or just never fit right. I'm not even 30 and I can't understand my wife half the time. I wear ear protection for everything now even mowing the lawn. Once you lose it there is nothing that can bring it back.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amp...eight+ear+muffs

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Sailor Soane] #6448507 09/12/16 01:44 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sailor Soane
I use these and am surprised at how well they work. I never use my electronic ones anymore: http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

I have some surefire ear plugs for shooting as well, I like them...cant bring myself to wear them for hunting yet, I have had a ringing in both years for as long as i can remember, I just assumed it was normal for a long time

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Tvilbig] #6448601 09/12/16 03:01 PM
S
Sailor Soane Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: Tvilbig
I got a set of these after my father in law got some. Noise canceling and sound amplifying low profile and comfortable. I wore them out dove hunting this year and it didn't effect my shooting (meaning I shot like chit like normal). My ears weren't ringing and I could still hear my buddies calling out to me from across the field. Best $40 I've spent in a long time.

I used to put hundreds of 5.56 rounds downrange in a day and I wish I would have had a good set of ear muffs like this and used them instead of the issued earplugs that we got. They would fall out or come or just never fit right. I'm not even 30 and I can't understand my wife half the time. I wear ear protection for everything now even mowing the lawn. Once you lose it there is nothing that can bring it back.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amp...eight+ear+muffs

Those are the electric ones that I've got - they are great for cooler days and indoor ranges, but when I'm outside doing clays or in the field they are very sweaty things to have on. I've also found that when you put them away damp the pads stick together and begin to tear up as a result - I have to put a rag in them before putting away. The surefire ones work as well for me for hearing (even though I do already have a bit of tinnitus) and I don't have to deal with the sweat ;-)

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: garrett] #6448606 09/12/16 03:03 PM
S
Sailor Soane Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: garrett
Originally Posted By: Sailor Soane

I have some surefire ear plugs for shooting as well, I like them...cant bring myself to wear them for hunting yet, I have had a ringing in both years for as long as i can remember, I just assumed it was normal for a long time

Are you using anything in the field? I've got ringing in my ears (misspent youth) and I can still carry on a conversation using them without issue

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Littlejr13] #6448619 09/12/16 03:10 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll wear them when shooting clays or target shooting pistols and rifles, but not in a hunting situation. With the little filter thing open I was surprised how well I could I hear others talking, it is very clear

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Grizz] #6448811 09/12/16 05:44 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Grizz

x3. I didn't wear hearing protection as a youth and shot a lot. Now have constant ringing and almost complete loss of hearing in one ear. It is life changing and I preach to my college age son to wear ear protection EVERYTIME.

Re: Ear protection!! [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #6449928 09/13/16 12:39 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
X4. Never even thought about wearing ear protection as a youth, didn't know it existed. My ears would ring every now and then, but it would go away. Then one day in 1989, shooting clay, standing behind someone that shot rung my ears good, and it never went away, and has got worse over the years. Been wearing ear protection ever since. My son has heard all my stories, he would never shoot wo protection, it's at the top of his check list.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide