Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6447117 - 09/10/16 11:09 PM Beware...This guy got me
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas Panhandle

Posted on July 18, 2013by watchyourbuck
ID-1008377BBB advises consumers to beware of Central Texas small building contractor
BBB has received numerous complaints about a Central Texas builder named Jay Curtis Slayton. His small building construction business is known as Sheds On Site, but the promised structures are often nowhere in sight after he receives customers’ money.
Slayton has previously done business under the names Solid Rock Storage Sheds and Top Hand Structures. Websites for Solid Rock Storage Sheds and Top Hand Structures are no longer active. Slayton’s businesses were previously located in Holland, Texas, but Sheds On Site is currently located at 1228 C.R 268 in Bertram, Texas.
The Bell County Sheriff’s Office arrested Slayton for felony theft on Nov. 27, 2012 and again on Jan. 29, 2013. Slayton went to jail on those charges, but was released on bond. He spent three days in the Williamson County Jail on charges of theft of property between $1,500 and $20,000.
Despite his arrests, Slayton continues operating under the name Sheds On Site, taking orders through his website and via online classified sites.
As of July 12, 2013, BBB has received 13 complaints about Sheds On Site. The company did not respond to five complaints and failed to resolve six. Two complaints were resolved through BBB. Complainants state that they prepay for free standing sheds, but the business never delivers or constructs the sheds. Those complainants are seeking refunds, but many are still waiting.
Diane Elaine Gunn of Belton ordered a shed from J.C. Slayton which was never delivered. She paid $1,858.54 on Oct. 29, 2012 for a shed that was to be delivered Nov. 15, 2012. Slayton did not deliver or build a shed.
“He told me to pay half down and he would deliver in two weeks,” Gunn said. “He never even got the lumber. I had to build my own shed. I told him I wanted my money back. He said he had to finish a job first, then he would pay me. I gave him till the next morning. He didn’t show. He called back and I told him I already turned him in. He spent a month of playing me off.”
Melinda Jackson of Lago Vista made a down payment of $2,559 on Oct. 1, 2012 for a cabin that was to be delivered Oct. 12. Jackson said she asked Slayton a question about the materials a few days from the time construction was to begin and was told they weren’t purchased yet.
“He never even bought the materials,” she said. “I went to Home Depot and Lowe’s to look at materials and called him and asked him about the color. He said he still hadn’t got supplies. I started getting suspicious and got online and found out I was in the same boat with a lot of other people.”
Lance Todd Barrow of Junction said he paid Slayton full price for a shed, but the structure was only partially built and left without a roof. “It’s like a big bowl. If it rains, it will catch it all,” Barrow said. He said Slayton would not honor a promise to complete the building and has stopped responding to his messages. Barrow said he spent over $3,000 on materials and gave Slayton two payments of $1,200 each.
“He kept giving me excuses,” Barrow said. “He gave me three or four excuses. He seemed sincere. Then I Googled his name and saw that he had an F with BBB.”
Barrow said a former Sheds On Site worker told him Slayton had been “burning people” and that he had worked two jobs without getting paid. He said he decided to give Slayton a chance after he said he had “gotten behind” and changed his business model. However, Slayton did not complete the project after receiving payment.

Reply, Reply All or Forward | More

#6447119 - 09/10/16 11:13 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker

First time anything like this has happened to my wife and I with hard earned money we had saved up. After he would not respond after saying he would come back and finish my roof it was to late and now I am finding all kind of things wrong with our get away. please share to all your friends for he does hunting cabins. His company now is The Texas Shed Company out of Roundrock Texas.

Edited by Lotto (09/10/16 11:19 PM)

#6447126 - 09/10/16 11:26 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Scumbag. Needs to be in jail. Sorry to hear you got taken. Some really good contractors on the forum if you need references to finish your job.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#6447203 - 09/11/16 07:07 AM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker

Lotto, how did you pay? Cash, credit card?

#6447511 - 09/11/16 12:32 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker

Paid half in cash and other half with check...cash said he needed to pay his help???

#6447607 - 09/11/16 01:45 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bedford, TX
Thanks for letting people know.

#6447649 - 09/11/16 02:25 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: TurkeyHunter]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Thanks for letting people know.

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6447675 - 09/11/16 02:42 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
maximum Offline
Pro Tracker

sorry to hear you got poked.

c.o.d. only for me.
you'll probably want to adopt
that practice yourself now.

#6447955 - 09/11/16 05:52 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
BDB Offline
Bird Dog

Good contractors do not need any monies down to start, work and finish a job. I have been in business (metal roofing) sense 1995 and have NEVER been ripped off by a homeowner. I have been screwed twice on jobs....by other contractors. This dood needs money down for sheds? Good lord I have jobs in excess of $50,000 in cost do get done and we do not ask for anything down. There are 3 reasons for money down. 1 is to screw you. The other...albeit more legit is to lock you in so you don't cancel. That contractor is usually good for the job. 3rd is the contractor who does have well intentions but maybe is new and just needs the money to get the materials. That 3rd contractor should soon go on to no money down once he is established.

Sorry for your loss.

#6448025 - 09/11/16 06:56 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
colt45 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
pc of chit needs a red neck whuppin

#6448207 - 09/11/16 08:56 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: dkershen]
Gamblinman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Yantis, TX
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Scumbag. Needs to be in jail. Sorry to hear you got taken. Some really good contractors on the forum if you need references to finish your job.

Jail hell...he needs to be in the hospital. And as soon as he's released, yep, thump his noggin again and send him back.

#6448452 - 09/12/16 07:50 AM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: BDB]
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
Originally Posted By: BDB
Good contractors do not need any monies down to start, work and finish a job. I have been in business (metal roofing) sense 1995 and have NEVER been ripped off by a homeowner. I have been screwed twice on jobs....by other contractors. This dood needs money down for sheds? Good lord I have jobs in excess of $50,000 in cost do get done and we do not ask for anything down. There are 3 reasons for money down. 1 is to screw you. The other...albeit more legit is to lock you in so you don't cancel. That contractor is usually good for the job. 3rd is the contractor who does have well intentions but maybe is new and just needs the money to get the materials. That 3rd contractor should soon go on to no money down once he is established.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm also a contractor and I never take upfront money. There is no reason for it, and a lot of my regulars have had or know of somebody that has paid upfront money and never seen the guy again. Worse is when a family member asks for cash to buy materials, and then disappears.

Another red flag is if they are ready to start right away. I have a 9 month waiting list. Six months is probably the shortest anybody waits for me, but sometimes it's a year. I understand if they can't wait and need it done sooner, but sadly, I get calls to fix, or tear out what others do all the time.

Hopefully he didn't get you for too much.

#6449112 - 09/12/16 03:52 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
Nathan at Fork Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Emory, TX
Never pay any money until the job is complete and you have inspected it.

If they say they need some money up front for materials cost, worker pay, etc, walk away and find someone else.

#6449339 - 09/12/16 05:49 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
And always use google...

#6449807 - 09/12/16 11:42 PM Re: Beware...This guy got me [Re: Lotto]
TX Hitman Offline
Woodsman

Loc: West Texas
Does he build deer blinds too? bolt

Seriously. Now would be a good time for the a firewood craigslist post. Had a contract screw another contractor on a project I was having done. I didn't lose any money but the contractor did. I went onto Craigslist and posted......Firewood - $200/cord delivered. Description: piñon oak mix - will deliver. Then added a wood stack pic from Google and his phone number. I then posted it to about 10 different big cities.

It completely locks the guys phone up with calls/texts/voicemails. He would flag them and I would repost. Did it for a week and the guy finally called asked for us to stop. We told we would when he paid the money back. He brought a cashiers check by that day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide