Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,626
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? #6440446 09/06/16 04:54 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I thinking about bow hunting this year with a crossbow, however the cover where I hunt is so thick that it is very very hard to even walk through, much less track anything through it. My question is this: If I make a good 20 yard shot, in the right place. How far will the buck run? If it is more than 30 yards, it is lost.
I don't want to shoot a buck if I have a chance of loosing it. With a rifle none have gone over 10 yards.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Mr. T.; 09/06/16 05:54 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6440457 09/06/16 05:05 PM
J
JYG71 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Well, I'm just gonna fess up. I've lost one buck, however it was a bad shot, fortunately I had him on game cam doing well with scar 24 days later and again the following year. Amazingly still using the same property but different bed. I've had Hogs Run 200 yards on a good hit. Loosing game is a hard thing to deal with, unfortunately sooner or later it's going to happen. This bad experience affected me in a negative way and I did not hunt that property again until i saw the buck survived. My younger brother has been hunting longer than I have and managed to help me understand archery is a different experience and I would have to overcome my concerns and focus on improving my skill. This is how we become more confident and successful.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6440536 09/06/16 06:03 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ive had deer that I shot "good" run forever. Ive had deer that I shot poorly not make it 20 yards. IMO, it all depends on show placement and how alert or calm the deer is.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: FoxTrot] #6440733 09/06/16 08:15 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Lung shot deer can easily run 100yrds after the shot. If you cant track a deer that far or further than bow hunting is probably not a good idea.

Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: ChrisB] #6441896 09/07/16 03:19 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Lung shot deer can easily run 100yrds after the shot. If you cant track a deer that far or further than bow hunting is probably not a good idea.

I thought that, but was hopping that everyone would say, my deer drop in their tracks or never go more than 20 yards. I guess I'll pass on the bow this year. Just looking for a reason to be in the stand more.

Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6442064 09/07/16 05:10 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

I thought that, but was hopping that everyone would say, my deer drop in their tracks or never go more than 20 yards. I guess I'll pass on the bow this year. Just looking for a reason to be in the stand more.

Get up in that stand anyway Mr. T and shoot some hogs with that crossbow first.

Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6442107 09/07/16 05:34 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
That is a thought.

Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6442479 09/07/16 09:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I killed two bucks with my bow one year 7 days apart in the Hill Country. They both ran no more than 30 yards after the shot and both died on the same trail about 2-3 yards apart. Both were very relaxed when I shot.
In South Texas the next year I shot a buck with my bow in a feed pen that I hit a bit low (in blowing wind and rain) with my first shot and he just dropped his head and looked sick. He did not take a step for about a minute or less. A doe at 9-10 yards had me pegged as I tried to get a second arrow ready as the buck walked behind a bush in the pen and stood with his head down for 3-4 minutes. He then moved forward a few steps rapidly but was behind the feed pen wire. He tried to jump out of the feed pen in the corner where I could not get a shot at him. He tried twice to jump but was to sick. He finally turned and walked while he stepped clear and turned broadside. I quickly shot again him again shooting for the heart but the leg was back and with a bad shot I hit the leg joint. I got about 4"-5" of penetration and he jumped out of the pen. It poured down rain (about a 1/2") and I lost the blood trail quickly in the tall grass in a creek channel. I called in a dog to trail and he found the buck about 250 yards away in tall grass at the back end of a tank. This buck was very relaxed and did not know what hit him in the wind and rain. This ranch was very thick brush and no cattle.
I killed a buck with my crossbow two years ago now that I hit thru the top of the heart and he died on the run at about 100 yards from where I shot him. It has just rained right before I shot and I knew this buck from hunting him for 28 days was very jumpy. I knew he would likely jump the string so I limited my shot to 25 yards max. I had him two times in the previous week at 25 yards or less but to many deer in front or behind him to shoot. Finally when I did get a shot I made sure he was facing with his head towards more open country and into my place if he ran like I thought he would. If he had ran back the other direction he was only 175 yards from the fence. He ran in a big half circle when he died running back the direction he had come from earlier that morning. I knew he was down when I could see a young buck acting strange in the direction he ran.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6443125 09/08/16 03:23 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The few animals I've shot with a bow, some ran 50-60 yards. Two died within 30 yards

I use a big expandable broad head to help them bleed out a bit quicker

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Mr. T.] #6477640 10/03/16 12:45 AM
J
Jon B Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I guess my experience is all over the place....I have had bow shot deer walk off like nothing happened and fall over 15 yards from the shot.

That being said...I shot a little spike that ran full tilt for a 100 yards with a good heart shot.

I don't even want to talk about my rifle hunting experiences...

I wish stupidity was not so handsomly rewarded.
Re: On TV the deer run for hundreds and hundreds of yard? [Re: Jon B] #6478744 10/03/16 06:31 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Jon B
I guess my experience is all over the place....I have had bow shot deer walk off like nothing happened and fall over 15 yards from the shot.

That being said...I shot a little spike that ran full tilt for a 100 yards with a good heart shot.

I don't even want to talk about my rifle hunting experiences...

You just never know what a deer will do after the shot. I've had deer just jump up and then look back at the arrow sticking in the ground, and I sat there and thought I had missed until the deer turned and started to walk away and began to wobble, and then fall over dead.
I just shot a spike buck the other day blowing up it's heart and it bled buckets of blood and still ran about 60 yards before piling up.
You won't know until you hit one, and the only thing you can hope for is a clean pass thru, and a lot of blood.
A broadside or slightly quartering away is ideal, but try to avoid a deer quartering toward you with all that shoulder bone structure in the way.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/03/16 06:40 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide