Print Thread
Is APH land shot out after opening day? #6438295 09/04/16 10:55 PM
R
rawToes Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I hit some of the public areas (royse city, rockwall) on Sep 1. Picked a good location, but a tardy hunting buddy meant we had crap position. Birds few and far between at our end and out of range, but nearly non-stop shooting at the other end. So I go back out day 2 and nearly nothing, talking 4 or 5 birds seen in 2 hours and same today. More noticeable than the lack of birds, there was hardly anyone out compared to day 1.

So the question... do these kind of areas dry up that fast? I've been hearing "record dove numbers this year", "extended season", but even on opening day, it sure didn't look like it.

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6438372 09/04/16 11:57 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Yep...that kind of pressure will drive the birds away quick.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6438440 09/05/16 01:02 AM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
There hasn't been anyone hunting on my farm farm near Kaufman until this morning but there are people hunting all around me and when I went out to hunt this morning the birds were gone. I had been seeing a bunch coming to my 2 acre lake for water but only saw one bird in 3 hours. They disappear quick.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6438486 09/05/16 01:41 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If you have a lot of pressure on a public spot day 1 and 2, they're pretty much going to avoid the area. It wouldn't get better until a front pushes new birds down.

I've got to lake sunk mid week after opening weekend and was excited on the drive in. Birds on the wire in and around the WMA. Got set up for the evening flight and never fired a shot.

They learn pretty quick to avoid the area.

That's when you need the push of new birds.

[Linked Image]
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6438618 09/05/16 03:31 AM
D
dove_buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Yep by day 3 it's a dove ghost town. I dont even go back day 2 anymore bc it's so slow and that's after shooting my limit day 1

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6438751 09/05/16 12:19 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Same thing going on here in central texas! own property near Lake Somerville area, brenham tx. Zero to 3 birds flying,
went over to a place just outside of Brenham, off of 290 west towards houston, 0 birds there also, and sunday am went to
a location about 14 miles east of brenham, near Carmine, TX, 2 places there total of 400 acres to hunt on, saw 5 birds, water
is every where very little sunflower patches or food plots.

Believe all the extra rains we have had over last few months effects this..... maybe a good stiff norther may change this? im guessing
another month before that happens, aleast we are not 103 to 106 every day.......

hunt safe all.

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: Hogflyer] #6438798 09/05/16 01:01 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Hogflyer
Same thing going on here in central texas! own property near Lake Somerville area, brenham tx. Zero to 3 birds flying,
went over to a place just outside of Brenham, off of 290 west towards houston, 0 birds there also, and sunday am went to
a location about 14 miles east of brenham, near Carmine, TX, 2 places there total of 400 acres to hunt on, saw 5 birds, water

Believe all the extra rains we have had over last few months effects this..... maybe a good stiff norther may change this? im guessing
another month before that happens, aleast we are not 103 to 106 every day.......

hunt safe all.

Are you talking about the Jozwiak Road Unit? We are going there this evening and hoping to see some birds after my brother in law saw one bird on the Hebert Unit opening morning.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6439502 09/06/16 12:38 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
two words of advise.....

West Texas!

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #6440294 09/06/16 02:58 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock

hunt safe all.

Are you talking about the Jozwiak Road Unit? We are going there this evening and hoping to see some birds after my brother in law saw one bird on the Hebert Unit opening morning.

How did ya'll do? I was out that way opening day and saw 4 birds. There was a lot of shooting east of us rumor was a baited field. I couldn't vouch for that. We went closer to Belliville opening afternoon and got on the whitewings. Lots of whitewings full berries.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6440327 09/06/16 03:11 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I had 6-7 dozen parked in my backyard since Sat. Mostly whitewings, they eat all the dog fog and set on the water trough. It suck that I live in the city of Austin.

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: hook_n_line] #6440343 09/06/16 03:18 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
How did ya'll do? I was out that way opening day and saw 4 birds. There was a lot of shooting east of us rumor was a baited field. I couldn't vouch for that. We went closer to Belliville opening afternoon and got on the whitewings. Lots of whitewings full berries.

We saw two birds as we were walking through the no hunt zone, saw exactly one bird flying after sitting for two hours. That field is pretty crappy as far as being taken care of from an ag standpoint. We left before dark because it was a school night and the nephew needed to get to bed a decent time. We ran into a guy who hunts out there pretty regular and he said that field doesn't get good until the middle of the season and they don't start flying until an hour before sunset. Finding a bird will be pretty hard with how tall and thick all the weeds are.

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #6440987 09/06/16 11:32 PM
L
L Ellis Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock

hunt safe all.

How was the birds at Jozwiak Road or Hebert? These are two on my list to scout this week. Having never hunted either of these where do yall hunt these?

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #6441013 09/06/16 11:52 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Yep! didnt see a bird one..... sorry for late post....... too mand daxx things going on....... work is getting the way
of hunting again this year!.....

think im gonna west of austin the weekend.....

heard birds are plenty out past Llano , Mason, Brady area?

would lke some reports.....

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: rawToes] #6441027 09/07/16 12:00 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rawToes
I hit some of the public areas (royse city, rockwall) on Sep 1. Picked a good location, but a tardy hunting buddy meant we had crap position. Birds few and far between at our end and out of range, but nearly non-stop shooting at the other end. So I go back out day 2 and nearly nothing, talking 4 or 5 birds seen in 2 hours and same today. More noticeable than the lack of birds, there was hardly anyone out compared to day 1.

So the question... do these kind of areas dry up that fast? I've been hearing "record dove numbers this year", "extended season", but even on opening day, it sure didn't look like it.

2006 hunting season, I had the exact same experience as you, same area, got there late, hunted it the next day.... These "all you can eat" leases are all the same, just public is worse. If you shoot half a limit on public that is pretty darn good. But dealing with Barney is another issue, you think duck hunting is bad, dove hunting they walk in and just sit right next to you. That's just dangerous, I value my life more than that.

Re: Is APH land shot out after opening day? [Re: L Ellis] #6441771 09/07/16 02:01 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: L Ellis
How was the birds at Jozwiak Road or Hebert? These are two on my list to scout this week. Having never hunted either of these where do yall hunt these?

We saw one bird while hunting Jozwiak, we talked to a guy who hunts Jozwiak often and said it doesn't pick up until the middle of the season, also you don't see the birds until about prior to sunset.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide