476377 Topics
6249353 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6438562 - 09/04/16 09:40 PM anyone hunt with recurve
Tru2lifetaxidermy Online   happy
Bird Dog

Been bow hunting 20+ years now and have killed everything from ducks to elk. I'm not getting bored with it but looking to up the challenge as the compounds seem to be like shooting a rifle now days. Anyone knowledgable on recurve a and can suggest or educate me on what to look for? Thanks in advance

#6440609 - 09/06/16 01:47 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Jimbo Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
When I first got into archery I started out with a fiberglass long bow and then moved up to a 52# recurve bow.
I hunted with it for several years as that was when compounds were in their infancy. I'm dating myself here!
The one constant with any type of primitive bow is Practice, Practice, and more Practice.
You have to develope muscle memory and confidence, and know what your limited effective range is going to be.
Take my word it's a whole new ball game as compared to the modern compound bow.
I've always had great admiration and respect for the guys who can harvest game with a recurve or long bow.
Stick with the old original brand names would be my recommendation, but there are several newer manufacturers out there someone may chime in.
A fine recurve is kind of like a nice fly rod, and the cost can vary from cheap to high dollar, so I'd stay with something in between.

Edited by Jimbo (09/06/16 01:57 PM)

#6442872 - 09/07/16 07:56 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Denton County, TX
When I first decided to give traditional archery a try I bought a 40 lb Samick Sage recurve from 3 Rivers Archery. It's very different from compounds and I highly recommend starting very light so that you focus on your form. Once I got comfortable shooting it I decided to move up to a custom long bow. Last year I sold my compound and this year I am committed to the long bow. I'll warn you, it's addicting. Good luck with it!

#6443723 - 09/08/16 12:26 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Kevin Heath Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Midlothian
I have hunted with all of them, and for just plinking around in the yard I have a 50# Damon Howatt recurve I love. I have killed turkeys and hogs with it as well. But, something wired in my brain pain only lets me take a compound on a deer hunt. Like it has been said practice, practice, practice. Get that form down and develop the muscle memory and sighting ability.

#6444142 - 09/08/16 04:54 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
jayb Offline
Tracker

Loc: Frisco, Tx
I only hunt w/ my recurve. I can help out if you are in the Frisco area. I can help tune new arrows, form, etc...

#6446020 - 09/09/16 11:00 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Bird Dog

I hunt with a take-down recurve and a crossbow. Like others have said, practice practice practice. Like the fly rod reference, when you are learning to fly fish, leave your other rods at home and only use the fly rod and eventually you will get it down. Practice and take some shots at your target in the backyard every night to help you get your form down and muscle memory. Then go out and do some ground squirrel hunting and stump shooting with some blunts. Anything taken with a recurve, horse bow or a longbow is a trophy. 3 Rivers Archery and Lancaster Archery are great companies to order from. I shoot off the shelf, use a 3 finger glove and use tapered shafts when building arrows so I don't get that bump. Tabs are also great to learn with. Just like fly fishing, you find yourself learning to tie flies and build rods. With traditional archery you will find yourself building arrows and if you are handy then building yourself a bow down the line lol. Going to Tandy Leather and getting supplies to make your own back quiver is also a lot of fun. Some people make incredible back quivers using stamps and leather tools. If you really enjoy traditional archery then build yourself a custom bow. I got in to building them from my buddy who builds them. Bingham Projects in Utah has all the supplies and tools to build yourself a beautiful bow. Once you have the press and oven built, the cost of the material to build one is under $175.00 . I built my first take-down recurve 16 years ago and still use it for hunting. Recently I ordered 2 Samick Red Stag take-down recurves from Lancaster Archery because they were on clearance and my friend has one and loves it. They are not a high end bow but they are pretty descent bows and I am using them for bow fishing. Keep us posted on what you pick up for a bow.

Here's my favorite bow.

#6446044 - 09/09/16 11:53 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
I haven't gone into building bows or the arrows yet but do enjoy traditional archery. I had not shot a Recurve in several years and shot a Bear Kodiak Magnum and fell in lust with that little bow. Now have a couple of them and those are my favorite bows to shoot. For pure enjoyment of archery I'll take my Recurves over any others I have shot. Haven't killed any deer in way too long with them but have a short range stand setup this year for that purpose. If the wind is right on the days I get to hunt I will be in that stand with the little magnums.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6455792 - 09/16/16 11:26 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
I do!!

#6456049 - 09/17/16 10:05 AM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Bird Dog

Thanks for the info. I took the plung and bought one yesterday. I am fired up and love shooting it. Need to practice a bunch now cause I think I suck after just shooting 12 arrows at the shop. Now my question is what is a good back drop for your target when learning to shoot these things? No way do I feel safe with just a block target right now.....

#6456294 - 09/17/16 02:18 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
White Falcon Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Holly Lake Ranch Tx.
You can hang a doubled old carpet.

#6456430 - 09/17/16 05:22 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Bird Dog

Ya think just 2 pieces of carpet would stop the arrow?

#6456695 - 09/17/16 09:15 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
two pieces of carpet might do it if hanging so they can swing when the arrow hits. The rubber horse floor mats work also.

When first getting started try this
Shoot at 5 yards a lot, paying close attention to form and arrow placement. Get really good at 5 then move back to 10 yards.
Get good at 10 and move back to 15 yards, then 20, 25 and 30. As you are backing up still shoot at the shorter ranges as well. Build up that mussel memory and consistency and if concentrating on form and function it might not take as long to get pretty good.

I usually tell new traditional shooters this is a good time to get started to be ready for next year hunting

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6457181 - 09/18/16 11:40 AM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Bird Dog

So I just shot about 30 arrows from 8-10 yards. I'm getting good groups of about 3" however I seem to be 5-8" left. I can aim to the right and be ok but I just don't feel right doing that. Any thoughts of what causes a guy to be left?

#6457357 - 09/18/16 01:43 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
Originally Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy
So I just shot about 30 arrows from 8-10 yards. I'm getting good groups of about 3" however I seem to be 5-8" left. I can aim to the right and be ok but I just don't feel right doing that. Any thoughts of what causes a guy to be left?

Anchoring to the right of your eye.

#6460572 - 09/20/16 02:31 PM Re: anyone hunt with recurve [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Jimbo Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Check your form. You may be holding the bow too tight and twisting your wrist on release.
I come to that conclusion because you said if you aim to the right it's ok.
Also check your release. It could also be due to plucking the string. You should have a smooth release and your hand should only move rearward toward your ear after the arrow is released.
Try those two and see if you improve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide