Print Thread
New to Dove Hunting #6437381 09/04/16 12:36 AM
J
Jman Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Never done a lot of hunting. I guess you could say I hang out at the TFF too often. But I have 22 acres of unspoiled land in Bastrop county just waiting for someone. It has some tall grass and mesquite trees and I'm suspecting it has to have some dove.

Since I'm new my questions are:

1). I have a lab. Never hunted with him before but he probably has a ton of untapped potential. Do I bring him? And is his job to flush or retrieve or both?

2). I have a few old shotguns. Browning 16 ga and 410. Which one should I use or should I just go buy a new one?

3). If I'm lucky enough to scare some up, how many would I need to feed a group of four?

4). Is it easy to field dress them? And where Should I turn to learn how to do that?

5). Can they stay on ice I'm guessing for the 4 hr ride home?

6). What else am I missing? Besides snake boots?

Jim Featherston
Mortgage Loan Officer - NMLS 2509901
Red Diamond Home Loans
165 S Kimball Ave, Suite 100
Southlake, TX 76092
PH 972-890-3114
Apply at: RDHLoans.com/Jim
Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6437405 09/04/16 01:10 AM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
1. You shoot doves on the wing, not from the ground, so you don't need a dog to flush them. A dog is handy for retrieving, especially in a wet year like this where there's a lot of overgrowth.

2. Either will work but 16 ga is perfect for doves.

3. Depends on how you cook them, but a daily limit of 15 should suffice.

4. YouTube is your friend. And yes, doves are one of the easiest birds to pluck and dress.

5. Yup.

6. A lot of people use Mojo decoys. I've never had a lot of luck with them, but YMMV. Have fun!

Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6437703 09/04/16 11:52 AM
H
Hogflyer Online Happy
Tracker
Online Happy
Tracker
H
Welcome to hunting! some simple things, keep it simple,, observe where your birds are, if you have none like we do, im east of you about 40 miles, have 200 acres near brenham, not 1 bird in 3 days! rains has ran them off or we need a big weather change
to bring down some northern birds down....... water is every where around here, so birds are not hurting like in drought years where its a blast to hunt ponds beford sundown.....

On you list, go with 16 ga, if you can find some field loads not HP duck loads,
good pair of boots, snake boot not needed unless you have money to burn, just watch where you walk..
On your lab, unless she or he hunted with you letem fetchem unless you have high patch of weeds or native grass to find birds....
We hunt with decoys, first year to hunt with this wind MoJo, seems sofar, not much luck..... no birds, doesnt do much good then.
Cleaning birds, well thats debatable, if you have bucket full, we breast them, ck out videos on how do that if you never or not fimilar with breasting doves, easy, makes cooking them a breeze too. recipes later if you want....... more on this forum....
Just keep a good lunch kit with you, if freeze 20oz soft drink bottles, make great ice containers, few of them will keep meat good for hours....... remember wild game keeps better than you think..... just watch where you place you container and not in a or near a fire ant bed.

Take notes, when you went and weather conditions, birds move, change with season, we need a big change here, so yesterday we set out hog traps, and baited them corn and sour mash recipe we ues with pepsi and big red sodas, with old lettuce, carrots. seesm to work for us........

Gud luck and keep us posted........ If you want to expand your areas to hunt, check out TPWD Annual Hunting Permit they sell.......

more options there.......

be safe, hogflyer....

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6437765 09/04/16 01:49 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Doves are one of the easiest game animals to field dress, as it doesn't take long and they don't stink as bad as other animals. You can find tons of videos on youtube on how to field dress a dove. My experience has been that dove decoys do bring in more doves - as far as successfully shooting one, well that is another issue....

Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6437836 09/04/16 02:58 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Jman
Never done a lot of hunting. I guess you could say I hang out at the TFF too often. But I have 22 acres of unspoiled land in Bastrop county just waiting for someone. It has some tall grass and mesquite trees and I'm suspecting it has to have some dove.

Since I'm new my questions are:

1). I have a lab. Never hunted with him before but he probably has a ton of untapped potential. Do I bring him? And is his job to flush or retrieve or both?

Birds are shot on the wing. If he retrieves bring him unless there are rattlesnakes to contend with.

2). I have a few old shotguns. Browning 16 ga and 410. Which one should I use or should I just go buy a new one?

Unless your a crack shot with that 410 use the 16ga- 6, 7.5 or #8 shot field or target load, or heavy dove load

3). If I'm lucky enough to scare some up, how many would I need to feed a group of four?

3/person or 12 is the minimum unless served as appetizers only; lots of sides. 15 birds is a daily max limit
Don't invite the dinner guests until you have shot the birds or else keep a chicken handy smile

4). Is it easy to field dress them? And where Should I turn to learn how to do that?

youtube for both field dressing and cooking; most videos show breasting out with both wings removed (even TPWD) but regs say leave one intact wing for transport. Whole birds travel well and pluck better when cold anyway.

5). Can they stay on ice I'm guessing for the 4 hr ride home?

easily but keep them dry not floating in ice bath

6). What else am I missing? Besides snake boots?

bucket or chair for sitting on while waiting for birds, water (for both you and fido), game shears to field dress (to clip off wing- optional), zip-lock bags for birds, paper towels (optional for clean up), license (with HIP cert & mig bird endorsement), decoys (I think they help, esp voodoo), lotsa shells, limiter plug for shotgun (if required), buddy to rib over missed shots

have fun

Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6437914 09/04/16 04:22 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
"""". If I'm lucky enough to scare some up, how many would I need to feed a group of four? """" One large bucket of milo should feed 4 doves with no problem.
You drive 4 hrs to hunt on 22 acres???? lol
if your bird falls on the other side of your fence do NOT go get it,,,, you can be arrested for trespassing !!!!!!!

Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6438306 09/04/16 11:04 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Pretty good advice above how many you need to feed a party of 4 depends on who and what your plans for what your serving with them.

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: dune2218] #6438393 09/05/16 12:13 AM
J
Jman Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: dune2218
"""". If I'm lucky enough to scare some up, how many would I need to feed a group of four? """" One large bucket of milo should feed 4 doves with no problem.
You drive 4 hrs to hunt on 22 acres???? lol
if your bird falls on the other side of your fence do NOT go get it,,,, you can be arrested for trespassing !!!!!!!

I go to my place because it's my place. I like to piss and [censored] there when I visit. I even feed my mules and goats grain when I visit and usually chat up my neighbor with a couple beers. Then I'll spend the night at my sons who lives nearby. Come visit me when I'm down there and I'll save the first shot for your [censored], douchebag. Who gives a [censored] how far I decide to drive to do whatever I'd like to do.

Jim Featherston
Mortgage Loan Officer - NMLS 2509901
Red Diamond Home Loans
165 S Kimball Ave, Suite 100
Southlake, TX 76092
PH 972-890-3114
Apply at: RDHLoans.com/Jim
Re: New to Dove Hunting [Re: Jman] #6438442 09/05/16 01:03 AM
F
FWBanger Offline
Tracker
Tracker