Page 1 of 2 1 2
Day hunt buyer be ware... #6437304 09/03/16 10:47 PM
L
L Ellis Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
You find a day hunt that advertises they really have alot of birds. So much that 32 hunters (everyone hunting the day before) got there limit by 10:30 AM. But the following day while your waiting to be taken to the day hunt spot you see your guide waiting for some reason. Then about 20 trucks pull up across the road and into a parking lot across the street. You here you guid say what is Cr___ doing. Your guid then makes a cell phone call an walks away from your group while he speeks. At the conclusion of the conversation you see the trucks across the street all leave following the front truck. You guide seems to be waiting on something but then about 10 minutes later he says lets go. At this point no one new has arrived we were just waiting. We all follow him. As we arrive at the day hunt location it is daylight and we see the 10 trucks parked in the field where the hunt is to take place. We are told the birds will be coming across the field fly way. And to find a place on the end. The flyway was about 50 yard wide of the field (about 30 acres) and the hunters there have covered up the flyway zone. I mean there is a hunter or two at every tree and even pattered across the opening. So your spot in way on the end of the field. And yes there are good groups for those in theflyway but left overs are very few and far between. Is this typical of day hunting? Are you suppost to have to ask how they will allow you access and if you'll get a fair shot at the birds? Just wondering as this was my first ever paid day hunt and I have to chalk it up to a learning experience.Is it just me or is the brother in law system awell and alive every where?

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437338 09/03/16 11:34 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Sorry about your experience.

I couldn't tell you how all that works as I'm not into the whole huge group hunting.

[Linked Image]

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437353 09/03/16 11:50 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I'd guess you have about a 30% chance of being satisfied with a day hunt. I wouldnt go on one without knowing someone who has already done it.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437370 09/04/16 12:16 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Every day hunt ive been on has been about the same way. I think the one today finally has me pulling the cord on it. I'll find a lease or just stop hunting them. Getting to expensive for 2 or 3 birds in 5 hours.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437608 09/04/16 03:46 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Nice first post lots of good questions, welcome to the forum...

Answer is yes. Sounds like your guide got screwed over by his land over or another guide. It happens more than it should on dove hunts. Best thing I can tell you is ask if the field is owned or leased exclusively by the guide. Also, make sure your guide is a pro. There are many on the forum and look for guys that have multiple years of hunting.

If you want me to point you to some good guides shoot me a pm.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437651 09/04/16 04:56 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have gone on day hunts for pigs, deer, quail, and geese. The deer/pig hunts were usually a complete rip off. The quail hunt was legit, we just did not see much game. The goose hunts were mostly pretty good. There are exceptions to everything. However, the really low-priced hunts were by far the worst. And like usual, if it sounds to good to be true, then it is not true. If you go with a reference from someone you trust, or with a reputable outfitter, you will probably be satisfied.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437696 09/04/16 11:37 AM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Next year try something different, go buy a Annual Hunting Permit from TPWD, allows hunters to have thousands of acres
of hunting land the tpwd goes out and leases. You cannot camp on most of these places, but theres plenty of birds in
some areas of state of Tx.

Headed up to areas around the Waco area this afternoon, being off work on monday, if those dont work out, then we will head
towards the Coleman, brady tx area. Heard theres plenty of birds in some areas that have food sources.

hunt safe....

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437788 09/04/16 02:13 PM
B
BigAL33 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I feel your pain buddy. I had a similar experience about 10 years ago with a guy in Uvalde. But there are some very good day hunt operations out there like Jim West and Chris Crocker. Good luck to you!

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437806 09/04/16 02:34 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your experience. I couldn't tell what part of the State you were hunting. There are some good outfitters that post on here. Season is early, good luck.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437820 09/04/16 02:45 PM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I wouldn't hunt in a situation like that. Low odds of bagging birds and I wouldn't want to hunt that close to that many unknown idiots with guns. Unfortunately a lot of the day hunt outfitters operate like that but they aren't all that way. If you are in the central Texas area give Tye Grissom of ATX Outfitters a call.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6437835 09/04/16 02:57 PM
W
Westtexan1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I have had some bad experiences in the past and you have to kiss some toads to find a good one and once you do hang onto them. Not every hunt is going to be full limits that's just not reasonable. I have also seen fields be good one day and dead the next and no way anyone could predict that. Weather plays a huge part as well. I have been using Lester Brown out of Anson/Haskell the last few years and he has been great. He is always scouting his fields and rotating them. He is a good guy that wants to see your hunt be good. His # is 325-267-1333.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438160 09/04/16 08:53 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
most over book (greedy). really hard to find a really good outfitted hunt these days

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438186 09/04/16 09:10 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: L Ellis
You find a day hunt that advertises they really have alot of birds. So much that 32 hunters (everyone hunting the day before) got there limit by 10:30 AM. But the following day while your waiting to be taken to the day hunt spot you see your guide waiting for some reason. Then about 20 trucks pull up across the road and into a parking lot across the street. You here you guid say what is Cr___ doing. Your guid then makes a cell phone call an walks away from your group while he speeks. At the conclusion of the conversation you see the trucks across the street all leave following the front truck. You guide seems to be waiting on something but then about 10 minutes later he says lets go. At this point no one new has arrived we were just waiting. We all follow him. As we arrive at the day hunt location it is daylight and we see the 10 trucks parked in the field where the hunt is to take place. We are told the birds will be coming across the field fly way. And to find a place on the end. The flyway was about 50 yard wide of the field (about 30 acres) and the hunters there have covered up the flyway zone. I mean there is a hunter or two at every tree and even pattered across the opening. So your spot in way on the end of the field. And yes there are good groups for those in theflyway but left overs are very few and far between. Is this typical of day hunting? Are you suppost to have to ask how they will allow you access and if you'll get a fair shot at the birds? Just wondering as this was my first ever paid day hunt and I have to chalk it up to a learning experience.Is it just me or is the brother in law system awell and alive every where?

Sir you should have talk all of your questions over with the guide before booking the hunt,when I was a guide,we never had those kind of issues
I've never had a client leave unhappy and if I ever do he would leave with his money back and another trip on me for his time, can't beat that, my old Army wounds finally got me,so my health isn't good enough to guide,any more if you wouldn't mind tell us who and where you were hunting???????

Last edited by Team Hillbilly; 09/04/16 09:12 PM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438226 09/04/16 09:41 PM
M
MikeOH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I tried a day lease out yesterday as well. While it seemed legitimate, there were very few birds. At least we hunted the fields as advertised.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438233 09/04/16 09:47 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm not trying to open a can of worms,but I've got to ask,why do you think a. Day hunt would be better than say a public hunting spot ?

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438482 09/05/16 01:37 AM
T
txphi470 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I'm an outfitter, not saying with who because I'm just talking as a fellow hunter. I stopped doing day hunts all together as people expect to shoot a limit when they pay for a day hunt. That guy bringing his 9 year old son the 2nd day of the season expects to shoot 30 birds and expects to be put in the best spot. But any business person is going to put the group they have had for years or a large corporate group in front of a single day hunter or smaller group, as they have more at stake losing them year after year, then your $50-100. Trust me, nobody, or at least I hope nobody, wants you to pay them money for not having a good hunt. I've scouted dove fields we have and saw thousands of birds and then over night it rains and the spot I could have hit a 10 man limit in an hour the day before, turns out to be 30-40 birds. Hunting is hunting, you can't high fence dove and the owners, outfitters, and guides can do their best because they want you happy, but it still won't be enough for the day hunter. That's why I do season leasing only. Have a bad day, well you have 3 months to improve.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438506 09/05/16 01:58 AM
Carter Tinsley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I don't envy outfitters especially for dove. When I was getting back into the sport, I spent ridiculous money on a dove hunt in S. TX. I could have limited 5 times if I could have shot worth a dang. Ended up with 7 birds on the best hunt in terms of birds in my lifetime. I've paid a lot less money and had to work for and get my limit. It's up to Mother Nature, human nature (honest and dishonest outfitters) and your ability to enjoy yourself whether it's 1000 birds and limits or 50 birds and not taking a shot.

The OP's situation sounds like a bum deal in terms of hunters vs numbers of birds. Could have been an honest mistake or it could be the way they do business. It's always a gamble like others have said. Can't let that get you down cause just like everything else in life, there's good and bad.

My dad always said there's two things you can always count on in life. It's going to be hard. And you're going to die. So try to enjoy yourself when you can.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: Hogflyer] #6438561 09/05/16 02:40 AM
L
L Ellis Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Yea I have a public lands permit but the last two seasons with it for doves has been a bust. Maybe I'll try the Waco area if you have any luck. Let me know.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: txphi470] #6438569 09/05/16 02:49 AM
L
L Ellis Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Well txpli that was what I wanted to here that this was not just a stick it to the new guy. I would have paid extra to have the better spot if I had known I could. I even explained to the guide that I was taking my son, who is headed to the military soon, on the last hunt we might have together and wanted to make it count. An the lease was 125.00 for a morning hunt. So it was not a cheep one compaired to the surrounding opportunities. But better to know other guides do the same. Really funny that the guide will not call me back now but I know where he hunts so I'll catch u[ with him there. I wanted to think about it and get some input before I spoke with him about it.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis] #6438691 09/05/16 05:07 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We did a day lease last night with a guide that posts his hunts on here. I got zero birds and my 11 year old got one. I shot at 2. Apparantly they left since he said they all got limits the night before and he expected us to have a good shot. I think they wised up. I should know now not to book if field was hunted already without rest. It was cheap and still had fun so not a big deal but my son was wondering about all the great hunts he hears me talking about and it was his first field hunt. One person got 9 but they were all shot across the fence where he wasn't supposed to be shooting but that was where all the birds were. Looked like they moved to a new field behind us. Two Game wardens came and checked everyone and was very nice and didn't see any citations written.

If I was to spend $100 or more I would go west such as north of Abilene with an outfitter that has fields just for dove. They have 20 or more fields and scout everyday to find the best fields to put hunters on. They normally rest fields and don't shoot them 2 or 3 days in a row. And they stay at the field and make sure you have a good hunt. But birds do move out quickly so a multiday hunt is the best bet so you can atleast have one good hunt if one is a bust.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: Txduckman] #6438794 09/05/16 12:59 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

If I was to spend $100 or more I would go west such as north of Abilene with an outfitter that has fields just for dove. They have 20 or more fields and scout everyday to find the best fields to put hunters on. They normally rest fields and don't shoot them 2 or 3 days in a row. And they stay at the field and make sure you have a good hunt. But birds do move out quickly so a multiday hunt is the best bet so you can atleast have one good hunt if one is a bust.

That's what I do, I rest fields and don't over book. Started shooting Limits Friday morning and sounds like still shooting limits this morning. Only hunting one field this morning. The birds have been really good here in Breckenridge this year. They are migratory, they can move out quickly,,and move in quickly. I guarantee and very nice, not over booked place to hunt, but it's hard to control birds numbers.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: Team Hillbilly] #6438981 09/05/16 04:52 PM
L
L Ellis Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
I have tried th publlic lands the last several years and not had good luck. In years past I hunted a public lands spot that backed up to the Rio Grand. It was great but to far to haul my kids, who always had alot of things going on. Now this year I was set that I was going to get my boys in a mess of dove. The oldest is 22 and headed to the army early next year, so this could be our last season together for a long time. I was looking to make a lasting memory for us both. I'll be looking for a public lands spot now with bird activity what ever the level. There is a big difference in bird hunting and bird killing and killing was what I was looking for and instead got bird watching others kill.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: Team Hillbilly] #6438991 09/05/16 05:05 PM
L
L Ellis Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
I was hunting with CPO a group out of Sealy. They advertise leases with 7000 ac. access and day hunts in Sealy, The person I signed with was named Zane and he will not answer my messages. Also there was a Chris and Scott all working together. I found them on Craigslist Houston posting. I was thinking about getting a lease but have changed my mind. I will be hunting the public lands for now.

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: Westtexan1] #9029656 04/05/24 04:04 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Westtexan1
I have had some bad experiences in the past and you have to kiss some toads to find a good one and once you do hang onto them. Not every hunt is going to be full limits that's just not reasonable. I have also seen fields be good one day and dead the next and no way anyone could predict that. Weather plays a huge part as well. I have been using Lester Brown out of Anson/Haskell the last few years and he has been great. He is always scouting his fields and rotating them. He is a good guy that wants to see your hunt be good. His # is 325-267-1333.

He won't be running LB Outfitter hunts anymore... Convicted felon and making automatics! No one knew until now.

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/...rsenal-from-family-home-in-welfare-check

Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: Txduckman] #9029665 04/05/24 04:12 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Wow! eek2 Dude even had grenades! It's sad his wife was still with him considering this:

The Anson Police Department said in a statement that Lester Brown has had several run-ins with the law in the past: “Further investigation revealed Brown has several previous convictions for aggravated assault, deadly conduct with a firearm, assault-family violence (with previous convictions, and evading arrest).“

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide