Forum Stats
60473 Members
45 Forums
476100 Topics
6245546 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6437304 - 09/03/16 05:47 PM Day hunt buyer be ware...
L Ellis Offline
Green Horn

You find a day hunt that advertises they really have alot of birds. So much that 32 hunters (everyone hunting the day before) got there limit by 10:30 AM. But the following day while your waiting to be taken to the day hunt spot you see your guide waiting for some reason. Then about 20 trucks pull up across the road and into a parking lot across the street. You here you guid say what is Cr___ doing. Your guid then makes a cell phone call an walks away from your group while he speeks. At the conclusion of the conversation you see the trucks across the street all leave following the front truck. You guide seems to be waiting on something but then about 10 minutes later he says lets go. At this point no one new has arrived we were just waiting. We all follow him. As we arrive at the day hunt location it is daylight and we see the 10 trucks parked in the field where the hunt is to take place. We are told the birds will be coming across the field fly way. And to find a place on the end. The flyway was about 50 yard wide of the field (about 30 acres) and the hunters there have covered up the flyway zone. I mean there is a hunter or two at every tree and even pattered across the opening. So your spot in way on the end of the field. And yes there are good groups for those in theflyway but left overs are very few and far between. Is this typical of day hunting? Are you suppost to have to ask how they will allow you access and if you'll get a fair shot at the birds? Just wondering as this was my first ever paid day hunt and I have to chalk it up to a learning experience.Is it just me or is the brother in law system awell and alive every where?

#6437338 - 09/03/16 06:34 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Black Dog, Texas
Sorry about your experience.

I couldn't tell you how all that works as I'm not into the whole huge group hunting.

Custom Crosses and Plaques

#6437353 - 09/03/16 06:50 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Temple, tx
I'd guess you have about a 30% chance of being satisfied with a day hunt. I wouldnt go on one without knowing someone who has already done it.

#6437370 - 09/03/16 07:16 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
ChanceHuiet Offline
Woodsman

Every day hunt ive been on has been about the same way. I think the one today finally has me pulling the cord on it. I'll find a lease or just stop hunting them. Getting to expensive for 2 or 3 birds in 5 hours.

#6437608 - 09/03/16 10:46 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Just Nate Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
Nice first post lots of good questions, welcome to the forum...

Answer is yes. Sounds like your guide got screwed over by his land over or another guide. It happens more than it should on dove hunts. Best thing I can tell you is ask if the field is owned or leased exclusively by the guide. Also, make sure your guide is a pro. There are many on the forum and look for guys that have multiple years of hunting.

If you want me to point you to some good guides shoot me a pm.

#6437651 - 09/03/16 11:56 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Brother Phil Offline
Woodsman

I have gone on day hunts for pigs, deer, quail, and geese. The deer/pig hunts were usually a complete rip off. The quail hunt was legit, we just did not see much game. The goose hunts were mostly pretty good. There are exceptions to everything. However, the really low-priced hunts were by far the worst. And like usual, if it sounds to good to be true, then it is not true. If you go with a reference from someone you trust, or with a reputable outfitter, you will probably be satisfied.

#6437696 - 09/04/16 06:37 AM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Hogflyer Offline

Loc: Near Lake Somerville TX.
Next year try something different, go buy a Annual Hunting Permit from TPWD, allows hunters to have thousands of acres
of hunting land the tpwd goes out and leases. You cannot camp on most of these places, but theres plenty of birds in
some areas of state of Tx.

Headed up to areas around the Waco area this afternoon, being off work on monday, if those dont work out, then we will head
towards the Coleman, brady tx area. Heard theres plenty of birds in some areas that have food sources.

hunt safe....

#6437788 - 09/04/16 09:13 AM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
BigAL33 Online   content

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
I feel your pain buddy. I had a similar experience about 10 years ago with a guy in Uvalde. But there are some very good day hunt operations out there like Jim West and Chris Crocker. Good luck to you!

#6437806 - 09/04/16 09:34 AM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
ndhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your experience. I couldn't tell what part of the State you were hunting. There are some good outfitters that post on here. Season is early, good luck.

#6437820 - 09/04/16 09:45 AM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Grandpa Lee Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Victoria County
I wouldn't hunt in a situation like that. Low odds of bagging birds and I wouldn't want to hunt that close to that many unknown idiots with guns. Unfortunately a lot of the day hunt outfitters operate like that but they aren't all that way. If you are in the central Texas area give Tye Grissom of ATX Outfitters a call.

#6437835 - 09/04/16 09:57 AM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Westtexan1 Offline
Outdoorsman

I have had some bad experiences in the past and you have to kiss some toads to find a good one and once you do hang onto them. Not every hunt is going to be full limits that's just not reasonable. I have also seen fields be good one day and dead the next and no way anyone could predict that. Weather plays a huge part as well. I have been using Lester Brown out of Anson/Haskell the last few years and he has been great. He is always scouting his fields and rotating them. He is a good guy that wants to see your hunt be good. His # is 325-267-1333.

#6438160 - 09/04/16 03:53 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
most over book (greedy). really hard to find a really good outfitted hunt these days

#6438186 - 09/04/16 04:10 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lake Sam Rayburn Texas
Originally Posted By: L Ellis
You find a day hunt that advertises they really have alot of birds. So much that 32 hunters (everyone hunting the day before) got there limit by 10:30 AM. But the following day while your waiting to be taken to the day hunt spot you see your guide waiting for some reason. Then about 20 trucks pull up across the road and into a parking lot across the street. You here you guid say what is Cr___ doing. Your guid then makes a cell phone call an walks away from your group while he speeks. At the conclusion of the conversation you see the trucks across the street all leave following the front truck. You guide seems to be waiting on something but then about 10 minutes later he says lets go. At this point no one new has arrived we were just waiting. We all follow him. As we arrive at the day hunt location it is daylight and we see the 10 trucks parked in the field where the hunt is to take place. We are told the birds will be coming across the field fly way. And to find a place on the end. The flyway was about 50 yard wide of the field (about 30 acres) and the hunters there have covered up the flyway zone. I mean there is a hunter or two at every tree and even pattered across the opening. So your spot in way on the end of the field. And yes there are good groups for those in theflyway but left overs are very few and far between. Is this typical of day hunting? Are you suppost to have to ask how they will allow you access and if you'll get a fair shot at the birds? Just wondering as this was my first ever paid day hunt and I have to chalk it up to a learning experience.Is it just me or is the brother in law system awell and alive every where?

Sir you should have talk all of your questions over with the guide before booking the hunt,when I was a guide,we never had those kind of issues
I've never had a client leave unhappy and if I ever do he would leave with his money back and another trip on me for his time, can't beat that, my old Army wounds finally got me,so my health isn't good enough to guide,any more if you wouldn't mind tell us who and where you were hunting???????

Edited by Team Hillbilly (09/04/16 04:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard

#6438226 - 09/04/16 04:41 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
MikeOH Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Lucas TX
I tried a day lease out yesterday as well. While it seemed legitimate, there were very few birds. At least we hunted the fields as advertised.

#6438233 - 09/04/16 04:47 PM Re: Day hunt buyer be ware... [Re: L Ellis]
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lake Sam Rayburn Texas
I'm not trying to open a can of worms,but I've got to ask,why do you think a. Day hunt would be better than say a public hunting spot ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide