Forum Stats
60476 Members
45 Forums
476157 Topics
6246268 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6434990 - 09/01/16 06:14 PM Minimum distance required to hunt near structures?
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker

For some reason, I always thought the minimum distance was 1/4 mile from an occupied structure. I cannot find this information on TPWD. The only thing I can find is:

It is unlawful for any person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, to knowingly discharge a firearm in such a fashion as to cause a projectile to cross a property line, unless the person owns the property on both sides of the property line or has obtained written permission from the owner of any land crossed by the projectile.

What is the minimum distance from occupied structures for shotgun and centerfire hunting? This is on a 70 acre property, but houses within 1/4 mile in certain areas.

Thanks

#6434996 - 09/01/16 06:21 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

There is no minimum written distance that I an aware of. Keep the projectile(s) you fire on your side of the fence and you will be okay.

#6435002 - 09/01/16 06:30 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
Slow Drifter Online   content

Loc: Central Texas
Check your county regs. My county it's 100 feet.

A. Einstein

#6435044 - 09/01/16 06:59 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Well...

I've done lots of killing from a porch, as well as from inside the shop. So my minimum distance is zero feet.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6435054 - 09/01/16 07:06 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
don k Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
When I was a kid we used to shot them out of the house.

#6435133 - 09/01/16 08:43 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

There isn't one. Buddy has a place similar in size. Neighbor decided to build his house like 10 feet from the fenceline where we hunt dove. It was nice getting to meet him opening morning when legal shooting hours started. Keep your shots on your side of the fence and there should be no problems.

Edited by rexmitchell (09/01/16 08:44 PM)

#6435160 - 09/01/16 08:56 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: rexmitchell]
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
There isn't one. Buddy has a place similar in size. Neighbor decided to build his house like 10 feet from the fenceline where we hunt dove. It was nice getting to meet him opening morning when legal shooting hours started. Keep your shots on your side of the fence and there should be no problems.

Okay, this is exactly why I'm asking. I dove hunt with a friend, and it's his 70 acres. One of his neighbors is getting ready to build a house about 50 feet from his fence line (where we usually hunt). We were concerned that we would no longer be able to hunt that area.

#6435263 - 09/01/16 09:59 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: lharrell79

Okay, this is exactly why I'm asking. I dove hunt with a friend, and it's his 70 acres. One of his neighbors is getting ready to build a house about 50 feet from his fence line (where we usually hunt). We were concerned that we would no longer be able to hunt that area.

Looking back on it we probably should have gone and met the guy before lighting it up at 0700 but it was my buddy's property and he didn't care so neither did I. (Maybe go talk to the owner and let them know you plan to hunt and will be as courteous as possible but that there will be shots near the property line? They have owned their property for years and a guy bought like 15 acres of a high fence place next door and built right along the fenceline instead of anywhere else on the property. Bad form? Maybe, but no one forced him to build his house right there so as far as I'm concerned that is his problem. I really don't think you are going to run into restrictions on what you can do on your property unless it is a county thing. Luckily after meeting the guy he was nice and was looking to bird hunt his property as well.

Edited by rexmitchell (09/01/16 10:00 PM)

#6435440 - 09/02/16 07:18 AM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: rexmitchell]
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker

Looking back on it we probably should have gone and met the guy before lighting it up at 0700 but it was my buddy's property and he didn't care so neither did I. (Maybe go talk to the owner and let them know you plan to hunt and will be as courteous as possible but that there will be shots near the property line? They have owned their property for years and a guy bought like 15 acres of a high fence place next door and built right along the fenceline instead of anywhere else on the property. Bad form? Maybe, but no one forced him to build his house right there so as far as I'm concerned that is his problem. I really don't think you are going to run into restrictions on what you can do on your property unless it is a county thing. Luckily after meeting the guy he was nice and was looking to bird hunt his property as well.

Well, my friend is already very acquainted with the neighbors. They are very anti-gun and anti-hunting. It should make for an interesting season once they get their house built. smile

#6435459 - 09/02/16 07:43 AM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Well, my friend is already very acquainted with the neighbors. They are very anti-gun and anti-hunting. It should make for an interesting season once they get their house built. smile

Believe I'd go buy a 50 BMG simply for the music it makes.

Maybe go back to hanging coyotes on the fence.

"Welcome to the country, pal".

#6435473 - 09/02/16 07:56 AM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
Mr. T. Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Hunt in Eastland ...
It was in the Star Telegram today. GW stated that there is no distance requirement to hunt from a house or structure.

#6435507 - 09/02/16 08:22 AM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: Mr. T.]
oldoak2000 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
It was in the Star Telegram today. GW stated that there is no distance requirement to hunt from a house or structure.

whistle
for state law, correct; BUT you MUST ALSO consult your specific COUNTY and MUNICIPAL (if any) ordinances to see if there are any further restrictions; in some unincorporated areas the county comissioner can restrict hunting, and I have seen a 200ft rule for one location in Denton county before (200ft from neighbors house, not your own), but cant remeber if it was a muni-ord.

Plus, Texas is 'filling up fast'; just because you 'used to be able to hunt it' doesn't mean rules havent changed recently, especially if you are nearby any growing municipal area.

#6435574 - 09/02/16 09:21 AM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: FiremanJG]
lharrell79 Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

We've got tannerite for music. wink

#6435795 - 09/02/16 12:38 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: lharrell79]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

up

#6435874 - 09/02/16 01:43 PM Re: Minimum distance required to hunt near structures? [Re: FiremanJG]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

THIS, love it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide