facebook
Forum Stats
60412 Members
45 Forums
475557 Topics
6238490 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6433669 - 08/31/16 07:32 PM Canine Melanoma anyone have any experience with this? HELP.
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: New Mexico
My Lab Zoey had what I thought was a bad toenail. Half or more of the inside right front was off and bleeding. I thought she just broke it and it would heal up. I treated it with Styptic powder to stop the bleeding, then put Neosporin on it so it would not get infected. After 3 weeks it was not getting better so took her to the Vet and she said it was Melanoma. I am taking her in tomorrow and the Vet is going to take the toe off, and try to determine if the next toe is involved also. Said she might have to take her foot off, "I won't let that happen". Have any of you ever had this happen to any of your dogs? If yes what was the outcome and what are my options? This one really hurts Zoey is the best Lab I have ever had, and she is not that old, only 8. Thanks for any help.

#6434517 - 09/01/16 12:15 PM Re: Canine Melanoma anyone have any experience with this? HELP. [Re: NMGW]
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Central Texas
Did she do a biopsy to know for certain? Just seems odd that A). Melanoma would occur on a toenail and B). It would fall off and bleed.

It wouldn't hurt to go get a 2nd opinion... just to be certain.

#6434552 - 09/01/16 12:54 PM Re: Canine Melanoma anyone have any experience with this? HELP. [Re: NMGW]
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker

Yes it is cancer, she took the toe off this morning and luckily it is just in the toe, and not in the bone, and does not look like it spread. It occurs more frequently in dogs with dark coats and skin "Black Labs" German Short Hairs are prone to it also. I had never heard of it until now which is why I waited to take her to the Vet and I have had labs all my life. Here is just one link, there is a lot of information on the web about it.

http://www.petcancercenter.org/Cancer_Types_Nail_bed_tumors.html

My hope now is that it had not spread to any organs and we got it all. I am hoping I can be hunting with my best girl this fall.

#6434566 - 09/01/16 01:09 PM Re: Canine Melanoma anyone have any experience with this? HELP. [Re: NMGW]
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Central Texas
Wow... nailbed tumor... that's a new one to me. I hope that they got everything out and prayers for a speedy recovery and long life for your pup.

#6434843 - 09/01/16 04:24 PM Re: Canine Melanoma anyone have any experience with this? HELP. [Re: NMGW]
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker

Thanks for the prayers, keep an eye on those toes and if they lose a nail and it does not start to heal in a week to 10 days get them to the Vet. You could save there life. It's not something you want to mess around with, if it goes to an internal organ it's bad news for your pup.

#6562847 - 11/28/16 06:31 PM Re: Canine Melanoma anyone have any experience with this? HELP. [Re: NMGW]
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker

Thought I would post an update on my lab Zoey. Its been almost 3 months and no re-occurrence of cancer, so the vet is optimistic they got it all when they amputated her toe. We now call her Zoey 3 toes. There was some adjustment to her walk at first but no problems now. Vet says if we make it 6 months then she should be clear of this. Here is more information about this little known cancer some dogs can develop. Keep and eye on your dogs toes "especially Labs".

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cancer/c_dg_squamous_cell_carcinoma_digit

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide