Print Thread
Beginner guide to duck hunting #6430636 08/30/16 04:09 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Make a long story short, new job will not allow me the time needed to go to deer lease so wanna try something besides doing the usual dove hunting. I have plenty of buddies that love to duck hunt and I'm told I can join anytime. I got some input from them on what to expect and such. I'm mainly looking for other opinions on waders, ammo, learning calls and such. I've done research and seen different types of waders, different grain of insulation and such. What is an adequate wader/grain in the boot for hunting the coast around here? Im a lifetime hunter and I feel lost diving into this world.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6430663 08/30/16 04:37 AM
O
oilag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
You will get a bunch of different opinions on here but I hunt in breathable waders all year long. Its really easy to layer under a breathable and on those 60 degree december days you wont be dying of heat. As far as brands ive had good luck with both lacrosse and cabelas. The bass pro brands have not been too reliable for me.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6430664 08/30/16 04:38 AM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Others can chime in that have more experience then me but I will get it started - I hunt the coast, around Austin and in Eastland. I layer and wear stocking foot breathable for waders. For around $100 Academy waders are fine. My crew runs waders from $79 - $600. Early season its shorts and a long sleeve tee underneath. Maybe a 3/4 zip if its a little chilly. I've hunted in 20s before with ice on the water and I was good by layering with quality layering clothes and jacket. Waterproof jacket for the boat ride because I get the worst seat and the driver is a maniac. He has two speeds - stop and WoT. If your buddies can call, be quiet or pick up a whistle until you get good and they approve of your calling. Youtube or your buddies can get you started. I still struggle with the feed call. I've hunted alone before and was just quiet and still killed birds over decoys. I shoot Rios but everyone will have a preference on what shells they like best. Good luck. Deer hunting may take a back seat from now on. It did for me.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6430699 08/30/16 09:35 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Best and only advice I will give you is avoid cotton fabrics and buy and religiously use a wader belt(if you're waders don't include one), the rest is subject to personal opinion.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6430705 08/30/16 10:13 AM
S
samsamthemex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Cabellas breathesboe waders are what I use yr round. No prob with being in cold water. And great with shorts during early real season.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6430889 08/30/16 01:07 PM
Carter Tinsley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Breathable waders. Stocking foot with wading boots work best for me. Especially if you're walking in.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6430892 08/30/16 01:10 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I like the breathable waders as it's always easy to layer and you can wear them on the not so cold mornings.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion about ammo, you're just going to have to go through a few boxes of different brands to find what you like the best.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431132 08/30/16 03:16 PM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The new Gator Waders are legit. Pricey, but the most comfortable breathable waders I've ever worn.

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431192 08/30/16 03:47 PM
I
Indyoshi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
I use cheap academy waders. Havent had any issues with them but never tried more expensive ones so I might not know what im missing. I alsu use cheap ammo. It kills ducks for me just fine.

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431235 08/30/16 04:08 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
So seems to be breathable waders for sure and layer underneath. I'll probably get a cheaper pair (sub 200) to at least see if this is something I'll be taking up.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431252 08/30/16 04:15 PM
T
texas wetlands Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Breathable all the way !! But, one thing to consider is the amount of insulation in the boot. I always go with at least 1000 grams of thinsulate, 1200 even better. May get a little warm in early season but you will thank me when it's 20 degree's and your standing in water.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431254 08/30/16 04:18 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I'm fine with Academy waders too. I basically just buy a new pair of neoprene ones every year, at $60-80 bucks they are cheap enough.

I shoot hevi-shot for ducks though, I don't aim well, so I figure I need any advantage I can get, perceived or not.

As far as duck calling and duck calls, I'd go with a mid-range echo or Zink call with a double reed (mallards, redheads) and then get a 6-in-1 (widgeon, pintail, etc...) whistle for pretty much everything else that flies. It takes a lot of experience to get proficient with calling, not so much sounding like a duck, but knowing WHEN to sound like a duck. That's one of the biggest keys is knowing when to call. In MOST circumstances, I found that less is more with calling (down along the coast it may be more important since ducks have a ton of options of where to land). Probably best to let your buddies who are taking you do that part and watch, listen, and learn. Hunting the coast is a little different ballgame.

Camo and concealment is important for duck hunting, so make sure you have something that covers pretty much everything bright and shiny up. I don't do face-paint, but I do use a light face mask pretty much religiously. Keep a low profile as best you can in the blind.

Other than that, just show up on time if you get invited. Nothing makes me madder than getting everything ready for a hunt and someone cancels on me that I've invited or shows up late. It's addicting for sure. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, your buddies will teach you everything you need to know. Once you hear the swoosh of that first flight of birds in the morning or see them lock up and drop into a spread you can't get it out of your blood. Watching a good retriever on a hunt is an added bonus. Good luck.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431471 08/30/16 06:09 PM
I
Indyoshi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
There are quite a few places along the coast that are public and if you hunt redheads, blinds arent needed. Wesit right on the edge of the water out in the open and they will decoy. We had one group circle three timea while shooting and even try to decoy (and get shot) while I was out in the middle of the spread picking up ducks from the first pass...lol

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6431503 08/30/16 06:25 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Biggest thing I can say is don't make things too complicated. People have turned this sport/hunting into an art and some of it is just plain silly.

Scout for ducks and hunt where they want to be. You don't have to be a good duck caller if you are hunting the right place.

As for waders I wear all kinds and I also tear all kind. Last year I finally just bought some stocking foot breathable waders, layer underneath and wear camo pants over them for added protection against snags and anything else. I rip a pair of waders every single year and sometimes you just can't repair them.

As far as ammo, if it's for ducks most popular load sizes in steel are #4, 3, and 2s.

You'll find a lot of marketing in duck hunting, alot of companies out there just wanting to get your money. I used to buy into all of it and now I just keep it plain and simple. Ammo boxes are shiny and claim all kinds of better shooting patterns and blah blah. Best thing to do is buy a couple of different brand shells and pattern them yourself.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: hunting_guy] #6431850 08/30/16 10:06 PM
H
Houghtonic Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Quote:
Other than that, just show up on time if you get invited

x2 on this...nothing worse than being up at 3 or 4 AM and someone in the party is late...don't be that guy.

Heath
Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: ChanceHuiet] #6432090 08/30/16 11:57 PM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Pretty much what everyone else said.

Re: Beginner guide to duck hunting [Re: Houghtonic] #6432152 08/31/16 12:27 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Houghtonic
Quote:
Other than that, just show up on time if you get invited

x2 on this...nothing worse than being up at 3 or 4 AM and someone in the party is late...don't be that guy.

And if you are late, don't walk up to the boat while eating the breakfast burrito you stopped for on the way. Two different hunters have done this before on their first time going hunting with me. bang And late or not, if you do walk up eating a breakfast burrito when I got there early to unload and set up the boat, you better have one for me too.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide