Forums46
Topics537,758
Posts9,728,796
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6429899 08/29/16 09:46 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
About made me sea sick, I don't know how you hit it at all, lol.

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: dgilbert] #6429928 08/29/16 10:13 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dgilbert

Agreed, but its all about when you pull the trigger haha

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6429966 08/29/16 10:38 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
Well my misjudging the weight aside. What are the thoughts of the video itself?

JT, I think you did a very good job editing. Much better than I can do.

It's the hunting part and the push to sell a product when you don't have the experience that raises eyebrows for me. Please take this in the positive light in which it is meant.

1) The initial shot with the weapon moving all over the place. Jeez! Son, I was getting drunk. Get yourself stable before placing a finger on the trigger. Excuses after
the fact don't cut it.
2) I wish you had left it with the video from the weapon after the initial shot instead of switching to your camera. The pig runs off and the next thing we see is you are
on the ground and he is standing in the road gut shot. No explanation. Either that is the result of your first shot or you had another encounter that isn't shared.
3) Later in the vid you show a head wound that is thought to be the initial shot, and it could be. Your thinking is that the shot is where it should be, but I think it is
back and very well could have slid across behind his head and across his neck, which is why he was able to run like he did. A .223 at almost 200 yards can do the job,
but it is pushing it when you aren't hitting a good CNS area on a solid hog.
4) There are 10 rounds total fired on the video with 4 wounds. If the first shot wasn't the one that resulted in hanging gut, then there is an unaccounted for round, making
at least 11 rounds sent. The last shot is taken with him on the ground on his left side and you see his head flop. That round could not have hit the left side of his
head (snout) because he is laying on that side. So, was the final round the one that hit him behind the ear? It wasn't the rib shot. Just a lot not explained.
5) The shooting when the hog is standing in the road. All but one round from one weapon. The shooting is wild and continues when he has entered the brush. Never fire into
something like that when you can't see your target. Give it up. Tragedies occur.
6) I know you are excited to be an ATN dealer, but a lot of folks (in their opinion) have been burned by them. BTW, all these companies will sign folks on as dealers. It
isn't hard. The X-Sight was only the latest product that has had issues. Their customer service has a less than stellar reputation. Just be careful of too close of an
association with someone or an entity that you may not fully have a grasp of.

I'll leave it at that for now. I have another mantel to go build... LOL...

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6430005 08/29/16 11:08 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I will second what dfw hit a little on, the range of your shot is uneccessary, why have your blind so far from the feeder? A .223/5.56 is plenty enough to take a big pig, if shot in the right spot, but a true 275-300 lb hog will require good shot placement in order to make a good clean kill. In my post from last night, I have 4 one shot kills with a 22-250, but I shot these at a range which is much more manageable to ensure a good clean CNS shot on the big ones, and lethal shots on the piglets. With any bullet (just about) shot placement is so important. Even a .308 gut shot will run off if big enough.

Move your blind closer. No reason to be 180 yards to a feeder from a box blind, especially with those senderos. You can be 100 and be just fine with the animals not detecting you at all.

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6430008 08/29/16 11:11 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
About the video, it was long. Agree with the rest, a quick intro, then get some animal video and then to the hunt. The editing itself was well done, but too much in there. I fast forwarded through most of it the first time and went straight to the shooting. A little before and after is all most people want to see. Posting something like that video on a YouTube channel is fine, but we want the abridged version here on the forum, and you could link to the entire video if people want to watch.

I am impressed with the video out of the x-sight 2.

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: dfwroadkill] #6430026 08/29/16 11:22 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
Well my misjudging the weight aside. What are the thoughts of the video itself?

JT, I think you did a very good job editing. Much better than I can do.

It's the hunting part and the push to sell a product when you don't have the experience that raises eyebrows for me. Please take this in the positive light in which it is meant.

1) The initial shot with the weapon moving all over the place. Jeez! Son, I was getting drunk. Get yourself stable before placing a finger on the trigger. Excuses after
the fact don't cut it.
2) I wish you had left it with the video from the weapon after the initial shot instead of switching to your camera. The pig runs off and the next thing we see is you are
on the ground and he is standing in the road gut shot. No explanation. Either that is the result of your first shot or you had another encounter that isn't shared.
3) Later in the vid you show a head wound that is thought to be the initial shot, and it could be. Your thinking is that the shot is where it should be, but I think it is
back and very well could have slid across behind his head and across his neck, which is why he was able to run like he did. A .223 at almost 200 yards can do the job,
but it is pushing it when you aren't hitting a good CNS area on a solid hog.
4) There are 10 rounds total fired on the video with 4 wounds. If the first shot wasn't the one that resulted in hanging gut, then there is an unaccounted for round, making
at least 11 rounds sent. The last shot is taken with him on the ground on his left side and you see his head flop. That round could not have hit the left side of his
head (snout) because he is laying on that side. So, was the final round the one that hit him behind the ear? It wasn't the rib shot. Just a lot not explained.
5) The shooting when the hog is standing in the road. All but one round from one weapon. The shooting is wild and continues when he has entered the brush. Never fire into
something like that when you can't see your target. Give it up. Tragedies occur.
6) I know you are excited to be an ATN dealer, but a lot of folks (in their opinion) have been burned by them. BTW, all these companies will sign folks on as dealers. It
isn't hard. The X-Sight was only the latest product that has had issues. Their customer service has a less than stellar reputation. Just be careful of too close of an
association with someone or an entity that you may not fully have a grasp of.

I'll leave it at that for now. I have another mantel to go build... LOL...

All good information.

To address a few points.

I did not leave the editing after the first shot because I moved my rifle and you could not see anything, so I cut to the other camera that was rolling so you could see him run off.

We had one more encounter with this guy before you see him on film with a gut shot, I did not know the main camera was not rolling and my scope was already recording, so when I hit the record button it turned off :-( - The gut shot was from our camera man with his 308, he was standing in the road when we came around the corner and thought he was going to charge so he took a quick shot with his 308, which hit the bottom part of his gut.

There was also two other wounds to his back leg that we found as we were cleaning him, both .223 rounds.

Through my scope I could see him right when he entered the brush and that's why i made the last double tap, he was actually at the edge and not all the way in yet. But I see your point here 100%

I am really not a dealer anymore that is why I took it off of my signature. ATN has been too slow to ship the scopes out from us online dealers, so I stick to just the accessories now.

These are the first series of more videos to come and I really do like the feedback, especially constructive.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6430035 08/29/16 11:25 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
About the video, it was long. Agree with the rest, a quick intro, then get some animal video and then to the hunt. The editing itself was well done, but too much in there. I fast forwarded through most of it the first time and went straight to the shooting. A little before and after is all most people want to see. Posting something like that video on a YouTube channel is fine, but we want the abridged version here on the forum, and you could link to the entire video if people want to watch.

More good feedback, thank you! having a shorter version is not a bad idea OR a starting point of the kill shot pre loaded for the post here..

this is not my place, and I actually did not know the blind was going to be so far away. It is a friends place he has set up for low fenced deer hunting and was having a hog issue. If I would have known it was that far I would have brought my pop up blind, and my .270 deer rifle. Which is what I will bring next time.

We corned the whole road hoping the hogs would work their way up the road closer, as a .223 is not ideal for almost a 200 yard shot.

I will be back there and will bring my .270 and my pop up blind.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: Texas buckeye] #6430140 08/30/16 12:22 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
About the video, it was long.

I agree with this comment. I have a kinda short attention span. When I'm telling a story I have to keep reminding myself to keep it short 'cuz other folks aren't always as fascinated with me as I am.

A little before and after is all most people want to see.

I'm in this group. I enjoy a short intro to set the stage, a couple of stills or a short video section to establish the layout, and then move to the action. The shots of deer and turkey were good, but I wouldn't overdo that. Even though it's somewhat relevant, it's also somewhat extraneous.

Yep, I agree the X-Sight daytime video looks good. Still wanting to see more night hunting stuff from a variety of folks/circumstances.

These are all just my opinions. (Well, okay they're Texas buckeye's opinions with which I happen to agree . . .)

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: der Teufel] #6430228 08/30/16 01:03 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Yep, I agree the X-Sight daytime video looks good. Still wanting to see more night hunting stuff from a variety of folks/circumstances.

Yup. the second weekend of September I am headed to rock springs for Night Hog hunting and Night Axis hunting. I am hoping to get some killer video there too. When I make the long video, (for YouTube) I will be sure to have a starting point saved when I share it here to get to the action. Or put a time spot for you to skip to.

Thanks again!

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6430270 08/30/16 01:20 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I've been saying all these things to you but I must be typing Chinese cause it doesn't come across as constructive???

Oh wait I probably had a lot of negative things to say about the Xsight when you were selling it and so that's why everything I say now is received negatively...

But you don't sell the scopes anymore and removed ATN from your signature line so certainly you're still not taking my comments "feedback" negatively ?!?!?

I dunno I think I'm now confused - I agree with all the other feedback here , you're video broadcasts can be construed by other hunters as how to do it and therefore you should closely watch what you say and do, you've heard from the experienced crowd and I'm not concerned that DFWRoadkill or TXBuckeye are going to start trying your techniques rather it's the inexperienced hunter who may swing for the fences on their first hunt by using ballistic calculations, flying drones, and chasing wounded animals into the brush with cameras.

Notice I said should not must .

when you return to that location with a .270 what ammunition do you plan on using?

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 08/30/16 01:20 AM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6430318 08/30/16 01:32 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
I've been saying all these things to you but I must be typing Chinese cause it doesn't come across as constructive???

Oh wait I probably had a lot of negative things to say about the Xsight when you were selling it and so that's why everything I say now is received negatively...

But you don't sell the scopes anymore and removed ATN from your signature line so certainly you're still not taking my comments "feedback" negatively ?!?!?

I dunno I think I'm now confused - I agree with all the other feedback here , you're video broadcasts can be construed by other hunters as how to do it and therefore you should closely watch what you say and do, you've heard from the experienced crowd and I'm not concerned that DFWRoadkill or TXBuckeye are going to start trying your techniques rather it's the inexperienced hunter who may swing for the fences on their first hunt by using ballistic calculations, flying drones, and chasing wounded animals into the brush with cameras.

Notice I said should not must .

when you return to that location with a .270 what ammunition do you plan on using?

There is being constructive, and then being a jack [censored] on every post a person makes. At some point a person starts ignoring the constructive part and only expects the jackass part.

For my .270 I like the Winchester Power point 130 grain - as I can use it for hogs and whitetail. I have dropped several 150 - 200 lbs hogs with it in their tracks with a shoulder shot to the vitals. My average distance is 100 - 125 yards, and I do not have a ton of experience with long range shots, so I think I will stick to that until i gain more experience.

Also I do not just chase wounded animals into the woods. I gave him about 45 mins before we tried to search for him.

Whats wrong with flying drones for scouting? We even used it to look for the hog after the shot to see if we could spot him in any clearings, (which we did not spot him.)

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6430430 08/30/16 02:21 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Yup , I checked my keyboard - it's English not Chinese

Must be something wrong on your end

Oh well

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6430479 08/30/16 02:39 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Well, we can all agree and disagree...makes the world go around. But I'd bet if we were all out somewhere we'd have a great time. Sure, ol' der Teufel never agrees with me and Ol' Pig_Popper rides JT, Texas buckeye is everyone's friend and DNS is the king of Hog Hill, but that is how it works with friends. Everyone here has a common interest. We don't come back here and jaw with each other cause we hate this place... cheers texas

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: dfwroadkill] #6430486 08/30/16 02:42 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Well, we can all agree and disagree...makes the world go around. But I'd bet if we were all out somewhere we'd have a great time. Sure, ol' der Teufel never agrees with me and Ol' Pig_Popper rides JT, Texas buckeye is everyone's friend and DNS is the king of Hog Hill, but that is how it works with friends. Everyone here has a common interest. We don't come back here and jaw with each other cause we hate this place... cheers texas

Agreed I am sure in person we would crack a beer and have a laugh!

Here is to you Pig Popper! And thank you for looking out and trying to help.

cheers

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #6430493 08/30/16 02:44 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
That picture was taken looking slightly up at the hog hanging up. All the footage in the video is looking at the hog lying on the ground. Just camera perspective...not saying one is bigger than the other but not a "good comparison" by photo necessarily.

And you...new person. You do realize I'm 7'2", right? rofl

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: dfwroadkill] #6431275 08/30/16 04:26 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Sure, ol' der Teufel never agrees with me . . .

I disagree with that statement! argue

Oh, wait — I think I actually do agree with you this time. cheers

One of these days I'll get a video recorder and we'll see if I can follow my own advice. Don't hold your breath! scratch

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6431307 08/30/16 04:38 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Hehe!! It's all good buddy... up

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6433142 08/31/16 06:22 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I may be going back to that ranch soon to drop a few more large hogs.. Anyone want to go? I don't have a date yet, but I can take one person.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6433202 08/31/16 07:02 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Too far south for me. Nice of you to throw it out there.

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: dgilbert] #6433272 08/31/16 07:47 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: dgilbert

lol! I was thinking the same thing! hah!

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6435966 09/02/16 07:43 PM
C
Chris001 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Hell ya, I'll go with ya. Where is it at...shoot me a pm.....have night vision will travel

Chris
Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: TXGH] #6441448 09/07/16 03:58 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I cancelled cable today in anticipation of your future episodes.

How long does a guy have to wait for some bacon to hit the ground...

Re: 300 lbs hog down! Low fenced hunt! ATN X-Sight II 5x20 - 187 yard shot! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6441911 09/07/16 03:30 PM
C
Chris001 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Dam, you must really enjoy those episodes!!😎😎😎

Chris
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide