Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Quail Forever Chapters in Texas #6416085 08/19/16 08:49 PM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I was about to send an email to the mods yesterday, seeking permission to post an announcement about the upcoming Lone Star Quail Forever banquet. I did a site search of "Quail Forever", to make sure no one had posted it yet, and I was kind of surprised that the 12 month search shows "Quail Forever" mentioned in only two threads.

Given the amount of discussion about quail disappearing, quail coming back, this year being a great looking year for quail, training gun dogs, leases, and all the rest of the stuff involved in trying to find them, I would have thought there would be more discussion about actively trying to do something about improving quail numbers, instead of just waiting for better weather.

Upland hunters are usually familiar with Pheasants Forever, which has been hugely successful in helping increase the numbers and footprint for pheasants. Well, Quail Forever is a sister organization to Pheasants Forever, working to promote conservation of quail, pheasants and other wildlife through habitat improvements, public awareness, education and land management policies and programs.

If you hunt upland birds and are not a member of Pheasants Forever or Quail Forever, maybe you should be. soap These organizations do a lot of fundraising for habitat work and youth programs, but the meetings are a great place to meet like minded folks and make new lifetime hunting buddies.

Here are the Texas Chapters I could find mentioned on-line. I'm kind of partial to the one at the top of the list, but all of these are run by great outdoorsmen, that are willing to think past their next hunt and help make sure there will be birds for their kids and their grandkids to enjoy.

Lone Star Quail Forever Chapter
Quail Forever - San Antonio
Heart o'Texas Chapter, in Waco
Adobe Walls Chapter in Pampa
Llano Estacado Chapter in Lubbock

If I've missed any chapters, please chime in.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6416301 08/19/16 11:46 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I ran two dogs in their first National Championship trial trial.

Haven't heard much about them in my area since then. Probably because of the lack of public hunting on my area.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: bill oxner] #6418142 08/21/16 04:41 PM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I hear what you are saying Bill. Limited public hunting lands in Texas tends to get us into the "Lease" mindset, where we consider our part limited to showing up to hunt birds. A group of conservation mined deer hunters, on a long term lease contract, can do quite a bit over time to improve herds and help create the trophy class bucks they are looking. On the quail side, we often pat ourselves on the back as being conservation minded hunters just because we don't "shoot up the the coveys too bad". Many of us only think about habitat when we are looking for a new lease. All too often I have to include myself in this category.

The average landowner leasing out quail hunting rights has little idea about quail habitat...he just knows he as some quail, and those guys with bird dogs will pay him a couple of bucks after the deer hunters are gone. Quail Forever is not just about improving public lands and buying existing habitat to preserve it. By educating landowners, it's often possible to improve quail habitat in conjunction with conventional cattle raising operations, with the potential to involve millions of acres of land!

Quail Forever is also about educating our youth and getting them involved in shooting and conservation. Maybe you hunt with a very different crowd than I do, but when I am both quail and pheasant hunting, most of the hunters seem to be in the over 50 age group.

But back on the public lands topic. The Lone Star Quail Forever Chapter is working with several other Texas Chapters to try to raise $20,000 for habitat improvement on the Matador WMA. When put together with Federal matching funds, that's a lot of acres impacted. This is something that will directly impact those that cannot afford private leases.

Over the years, I've bought duck stamps each year even though I do not usually duck hunt, and I send a few dollars in here and there for conservation efforts, but I'm going to try to step it up a notch and get personally involved.

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6418412 08/21/16 08:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks for posting and you're certainly correct. However, I clicked on the San Antonio link and they list one event under "upcoming events" - their meeting on April 7, 2016.

Same kind of experience when me and another guy on here tried to get the area Mule Deer Foundation chapter to respond. Lame.

I joined the Quail Coalition a few years ago. 'Bought a table for the banquet. I had to remind them to send me the tickets, they got my name wrong on the table placard, and I never heard from them again (no promised newsletter or magazine) until one email right before the next banquet.

If you want more members, you have to have your act together. Too many self-perceived "big shots" in these things that won't stoop to actually handling any details of an organization or an event.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6418491 08/21/16 09:40 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's why Quail Unlimited went under. That, plus they presided over the biggest quail decline in the history of quail in the southeast.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: bill oxner] #6418585 08/21/16 11:06 PM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
There is much truth in what you both speak. At the time avid quail hunters should have been working the hardest on habitat and research, many of us were giving up, and turning our hunting time and dollars to other game.

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6420492 08/23/16 01:50 AM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I came across them last year and considered getting involved. I sent a few emails to the local chapter and the national organization and I never got a response back from either. That kind of turned me off but I'm not opposed to getting involved, the Bobwhites are everywhere down here. I hear them in the mornings and see them running in the fields, it's an amazing thing to see and I can't wait for the season to start.

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6420613 08/23/16 03:32 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I've been a member of QF but just don't see how it benefits the common quail hunter. PF and QF make a big difference up north because of the massive amount of public land up there. But down here it's mostly pay to play or a select few public land that once word gets out that they have birds, which it typically does especially with this forum, then they become a mad house. It's not uncommon to see 3-4 hunters get into a covey and hear 10+ shots. I'll still donate because overall I think it makes a difference, just not so much here in Texas. If we had more public land I really think it would do some good.

Say When.....
Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6420948 08/23/16 03:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I still get these.

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6420999 08/23/16 04:00 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Just because we aren't a member of some organization doesn't mean we aren't out there doing what it takes to improve the habitat. I can assure you, we are out there doing as much or more than Quail Forever is doing, we're just doing it on the properties we hunt. We plant food plots, pour seed in cover, put out feed barrels, bulldoze heavy mesquite areas to help create better habitat, and the list goes on. How else would we have killed over 1200 wild bobwhites last season? Just being a member of an organization doesn't mean a whole lot in my opinion.

In fact, I've seen plenty of members of those types of organizations that only become a member to say they are a member because they think it gives them some kind of credibility but they never take any action to support the cause.

Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: duckbill] #6421295 08/23/16 08:37 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: duckbill
Just because we aren't a member of some organization doesn't mean we aren't out there doing what it takes to improve the habitat. I can assure you, we are out there doing as much or more than Quail Forever is doing, we're just doing it on the properties we hunt. We plant food plots, pour seed in cover, put out feed barrels, bulldoze heavy mesquite areas to help create better habitat, and the list goes on. How else would we have killed over 1200 wild bobwhites last season? Just being a member of an organization doesn't mean a whole lot in my opinion.

In fact, I've seen plenty of members of those types of organizations that only become a member to say they are a member because they think it gives them some kind of credibility but they never take any action to support the cause.

Just my two cents.

Agreed. All one has to do is follow the Dale Rollins Rolling Plains Report or the Quail-Tech news letter to have a "how to" guide of ways to enhance habitat, increase quail propagation and survival, varmint control and feeding programs. All you really have to include is the sweat equity at your ranch or lease. This research is real and it works.

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6427066 08/27/16 08:53 PM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: duckbill

Just my two cents.

Agreed. All one has to do is follow the Dale Rollins Rolling Plains Report or the Quail-Tech news letter to have a "how to" guide of ways to enhance habitat, increase quail propagation and survival, varmint control and feeding programs. All you really have to include is the sweat equity at your ranch or lease. This research is real and it works.

Both of you speak much truth. Those two resources are great and provide a lot of guidance to those with the means to develop habitat on large acreage. NorthTXBirdHunter is also correct that some join just to say they belong, with no real interest in anything other than looking good to their friends.

... but not everyone that wants to support and improve quail habitat has multiple sections under their exclusive control! The small landowner, the folks that only lease a couple of hundred acres for year-round hunting, and those that lease land they are not allowed to 'develop' it can all benefit. QF is another tool in the arsenal that can help pull multiple small landowners into a cooperative effort to improve habitat, for their mutual benefit.

I know Texas has become a predominantly a pay-to-play state for hunting, and that scares me! If hunting becomes a purely commercial venture for too many land owners, I think our hunting heritage will suffer. PF has created such an impact through years of persistence, and by PURCHASING private land to turn habitat back over to the public, with proper stewardship.

Upland Bird Hunting does not really have the equivalent of the Federal Migratory Bird (DUCK) Stamp, to funnel hunter dollars back into conservation. PF & QF are mechanisms to do this, for both the little guys and for those of us lucky enough own big acreage, or that are able to afford big quail leases.

I'll also leave you with this...some of the largest private ranch owners in TEXAS are actively involved in returning land to its natural state...not for commercial gain, or to become their own private hunting domain. They are funding that out of their own pockets and REDUCING their potential income from cattle grazing, all in the name of restoring natural habitat. We are talking millions per year, of private dollars, being invested...tiny tweaks to these existing programs could have major impact for our wild bird populations, and PF/QF has the opportunity to try to influence these folks.

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: nak] #6427109 08/27/16 09:29 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Nak,

You may be surprised at how many land owners will let and encourage you to enhance the landscape. Feeding programs and varmint control have never been a problem with any landowner I have ever dealt with. Land management practices could create a win-win for both of you. Take the time to study and write up a management plan that will benefit both of you, up and to the amount of money you want to spend. Ask the LO for a meeting to promote your plan. Make it all positive for both of you. I have one LO that actually participated in the costs lowering my expense. They really appreciate your stewardship and care you are showing in their land. Of course this should only be for ranches that you have negotiated multi-year leases on. I probably would not go to this expense on a one and done type place unless you are assured a renewal and you like the ranch.

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6427355 08/28/16 01:06 AM
L
LReichardt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
And pray for a little rain..lol

Re: Quail Forever Chapters in Texas [Re: LReichardt] #6427439 08/28/16 01:41 AM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N