Page 1 of 2 1 2
Your first deer story #6426252 08/27/16 12:26 AM
S
spoon33 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Figured we could pass some time by telling everyone about your first deer you killed.

Mine was when I was probably 25-26 years old and I got invited to go with my buddy to 640 acres he had access too. I had been "hunting" a few other times with my dad and brother years ago but we never shot anything.
Anyways, the hunt where I got my first deer was going to be 2 evenings and 2 days to hunt. I was amped up and ready to shoot the first deer I saw. Well evening 1 comes and go with no action. Same with morning one and evening two. Before our last morning I asked if we could get in our stand a little earlier then usual as the guys at camp would rather drink and sit at the cabin all week instead of hunt. Anyways I'm following my buddy on a 4 wheeler to my stand for the day and he jumps a doe off the feeder as he was in front of me. I hurry up and park my 4 wheeler in the brush and monkey up my stand. It's a minute or so before legal shooting light and I look up and see a deer at the feeder 80 yards away. I immediately grabbed my gun and raise it up finding the deer in my scope. It's a doe and I am ready.....except for my rifle keeps shaking for some reason smile
I was so excited that I had to lower my gun and try to relax. I finally composed myself enough to put the crosshairs on her and squeeze away. Boom!!! Where is she? Being my first time to ever shoot a deer I wasn't sure what to expect. My buddy texts me and ask if I'm ok as there is no way I shot a deer that quickly after arriving.

After telling him I really did shoot a deer he told me to get down and start looking for blood and he would be there after a bit. I finally get down after a bit still on cloud 9 and walk up to my deer, a small doe fawn I had shot. Since the deer was by herself and I had no idea how big or small she was, plus I really didn't care before I shot.

I caught a little friendly grief for shooting a fawn, but I learned how to field dress a deer right there and took her to the processer soon after.

That day got this city slicker hooked and I've been at it ever since then. When I read about people getting buck fever, I know exactly what they mean as I went through that with my first deer.

So let's hear about your first one.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426272 08/27/16 12:40 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I was 10 sitting on a pipeline with my grandfather. Buck came out way way down the pipeline. Put gun up and all I remember seeing was horns. Settled cross hairs behind his shoulder and squeezed off shot. I remember seeing another deer take odd running so I thought I had missed. I come to and realize my grandfather us getting onto me for shooting when he was steadily saying don't shoot it's to far don't shoot. I never even heard him talking I was so excited. We waited about 30 min and then he said should at least go look. Got down there and there it was, a young basket rack 8 point. Dropped square in its tracks. Grandfather stepped it off with long steps at 355 steps. A long lucky shot for a 10 yr old with a 243. I'll have to find the picture somewhere.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426285 08/27/16 12:51 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I was prob about 12 and my dad took me up to some public land in North Florida. We walked through some swampy woods and finally found a large oak that had fallen and we sat on it and waited. After about an hour I spotted 3 doe and he told me to get ready there is prob a buck following them. The doe ran right by us and here came a buck I got ready to raise my gun up and before I even got it to my shoulder my dad shoots at it and then shoots again he missed twice I never even got a chance at it. That about sums up my hunting experiences with my dad.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426306 08/27/16 01:03 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I was 23 years old, stalking up on field looking for a doe. As I was about to hit the clearing a mountain lion walked out about 40 yards in front of me, he never saw me, I shot and missed.
I figured my hunt was done, so I headed back to the house. As I was almost back I walked up on a buck at about 30 yards. I dropped him where he stood.
That was 28 years ago and I was talking trash like I was some gifted stalking machine. I have never been able to stalk animals like I did that day ever again.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426309 08/27/16 01:05 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I was hunting on a small place where I kept some horses. Got there before sunup and waited until about 8:00 then I had to leave to go to work. On the way back to the truck I see a doe and a 9 point buck following her. Took 2 shots but I got him and still have the antlers. A great day.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426426 08/27/16 02:48 AM
I
Indyoshi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Seems like it was just yesterday...oh wait. It almost was! Haha. Cant wait to see if my time researching will pay off this year.

My story:
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6020269/1
My story:

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426550 08/27/16 04:18 AM
J
JH117 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Mine was three years ago. Before that I had only hunted for deer one time with my dad when I was about 20. I didn't see anything that day, but to me it really didn't matter. Reason being is because at that time I only had two things on my mind.....partying and women! Fast forward 12 years later and my wife and I were fortunate enough to move onto 120 acres of family property. I had always been a fisherman, but hunting just wasn't something that I had really experienced. So I put up a feeder and a camera to see if there was any kind of game on the place. To my surprise deer were coming on a regular basis, including a nice big mature 10 pointer. I decided he was gonna be my first deer......or so I thought! You see, I really didn't understand the meaning of pressure at the time. I ended up buying a cheap starter bow and plopped a ground blind 20 yards from the feeder. Needless to say, I didn't end up taking that deer! I finally realized that I was doing it all wrong after doing some research and reading this forum so i moved that blind and put up a tree stand. I hunted my arse off that season and finally ended up connecting on my first deer. Not with a bow, but with a 30-06 in that tree at about 40 yards away. It was late in the evening with about 15 min of legal shooting light when he walked out. The only thing I saw was a set of antlers when he came out from behind a cedar tree. I didn't really have time to judge the size of his antlers, but to me they were really big. I put the sights on him and squeezed the trigger. I made a good shot and he dropped about 15 yards away from where I connected. I actually thought he was the 10 I was after, but it happened so fast I couldn't really tell. At that time the adrenaline was pumping so hard and I was shaking so bad that I couldn't even think about climbing down that tree stand. So first thing I did after I shot him was call my dad......from the tree stand! Although he didn't end up being the big 10 I was after, I was proud of that deer! He ended being a 15 in wide main frame six with a little kicker, and his euro mount is hanging in my living room! Since that day it has become a bit of an obsession, and fishing has kind of taken a backseat to my new hunting addiction. Oh, and that 10 is still running around here.......and I can only hope that he slips up this year!

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426559 08/27/16 04:33 AM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My first deer experience was visiting my uncle Hulen in the summer. He was poor and lived in the middle of nowhere. He picks up a rifle and shoots a small buck eating in his garden. I wouldn't call it hunting, he was old school and that's how he lived.

I'm sure he never had a license and later learned that deer season wasn't in the summer.

It is important to add he was always respectful of nature and hunted out of need to survive.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426681 08/27/16 01:03 PM
T
Txhuntr2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I was 20 and had just gotten on a lease in San Saba with a high school buddy. I'd hunted by walking in the woods as a kid shooting a shotgun at whatever flew but I'd never had a chance to hunt deer. That weekend was thunderstorming so bad we couldn't leave the campers for a day and a half. My buddy wanted to go home but I was having non of it. I wanted to hunt. Finally, the rain started to slow in the late afternoon so I headed to my stand. I had hunted that stand before but only seen does. This day was different and it taught me a lesson about deer movement after a storm that I still remember.

The feeder had not even gone off when the rain completely cleared and the pasture came alive with deer! There were small bucks and does everywhere it seemed. And when the feeder went off, all I remember is lots of points coming from over a hill behind the feeder. I was so anxious I didn't wait for him to come to the feeder but took a 200 yd shot and missed. I reloaded and aimed just above his back and hit him. He didn't run far when the 30-06 connected. It was a perfectly semetrical, pencil thin, young 10 point with very light colored antlers. I was ecstatic.

As an aside, he was also my first attempt at a homemade euro. I found out that if you take a nap while the pot is on the burner it might boil dry and burn the skull black. That deer is now an antler mount on a wooden plaque in the one room my wife let's me decorate. I have since killed many more deer and larger bucks but that memory hasn't faded and that mount is in a prominent place on my wall.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6426739 08/27/16 02:11 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I was 13 and we were hunting in Eastland county, I killed a small 4 point with a blot action 30/30 with open sights at about 60 yards and I couldn't have been happier if it had scored 150.That was 58 years ago and will never forget that moment. rifle

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6427691 08/28/16 05:31 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I was probably 28 and went on my first deer hunt. Big ranch with old blinds and no feeders. Blind was full of owl poop so stunk to high heaven. I had duck hunted that morning up on the Red and then drove to friends ranch for the afternoon hunt so I was very tired. A young six showed up in the middle of the cows that were using my stand to scratch. It came in behind me just walking by so I had to shoot at an awkward position. Not a far shot but it ran. Never found it. A few specks of blood. Didn't realize I was next to the neighbors property that he ran to so he could have been dead 20 yards in but the place was so full of cedars we couldnt see anything. I said next time, don't put me on a fenceline when you have 3,000 acres! I was so sick so I immediately went and got my first lease to try and make up for it. I got a deer a year later same ranch but different stand. Heart shot and ran 50 yards and did a somersault. Young 8 at 160 yards. 92 degrees in Dec hunting in tennis shoes and shorts. I have taken about 25 deer since but still remember those hunts more than any.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6427722 08/28/16 09:18 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I was 7 hunting north of Sterling City. I was walking some canyons with a friend of my dads. We jumped a forkhorn and I shot him in the back of the neck with my 30-30. I remember he turned a flip.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6428265 08/28/16 09:14 PM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I'm waiting for "I'd just finished my 8th beer as we got to a remote county road....."

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6428448 08/28/16 11:30 PM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I didn't have a stand so my older brother drove me to a small clearing off a logging rd where there was a board nailed up in a tree with spikes to climb up. He had me rope up a old 30 carbine that was our dad's, he then left to hunt an abandoned stand 300 yrds up the rd. an hour or so went by and to my right about 40 yrd's quartering to me was a old 9 pt , he took two hit's from that carbine and ran about 100 yrd's or so. That buck was my first Deer 9pt , 13" inside 16" tall, That was 1983 I was 13 yr's old . He was an old deer 5-6 yrs , we ate a lot of chili off him. His shoulder mount is still on my wall.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6428463 08/28/16 11:44 PM
cheetah577 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I was 8 years old and we were hunting a family ranch just outside of Wimberely, TX. We didn't own a rifle, so my Pop borrowed a 6MM Jap rifle from a friend. It was opening morning and around 25 degrees! I shot a doe at 80 yards. She didn't run at all. No one else killed a deer that morning and I'm pretty sure we were the only ones hunting. All my family made a big deal about me getting a deer. Our camp cook made venison stew that night with the backstraps from my deer. It was the best meal ever. Santa gave me a Marlin 30-30 for Christmas that year. 45 years later, I still have the gun.

God bless John Wayne!
Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429003 08/29/16 12:56 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
1970 hunting with my Dad in an old log blind outside Luckenbach. Told Dad I had to go. Bad. He said to go down by the creek, downwind of the stand, and take care of business.

You'd have to see his face for the full effect. I get back in the blind and it goes like this...

"Er, uh son, did everything go alright?"

Mhmm.

A few minutes later, "son, are you sure everything went ok?

Mhmm.

A few more and "son, did you remember to bring toilet paper with you?"

No sir.

"Well how did you wipe?"

My finger

"Where did you wipe your finger?"

On my shirt. roflmao

"Well son, I guess we might as well walk back to the car"

On the way back I killed a spike buck, my first deer. .30-.30 offhand at all of 30 yards.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429108 08/29/16 02:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I was 11. Hunted on a lease in Garden Ridge, Texas. Was sitting with my mom because my dad jacked up his back and couldn't walk for a while. Shot a nice little buck, would have been an 8pt, but the right main beam was busted off at the head. High shoulder shot with my older brothers 270 win shooting 130 grain bronze points. Fell at the shot and never moved.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429225 08/29/16 03:20 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
My dad said I could start deer hunting when I could hit a quarter at 25 yards with a .22 and then do it again with a deer rifle. I cant remember if I had to do the second round with my Grandad's .218Bee or my 22-250.

Anyways, I got that knocked out and I was ready. I don't remember a whole lot about my first deer, but I was hunting with my Grandad out by Lake Buchanan and was 5 years old. A big doe walked out, and I had to crawl into Grandad's lap to get high enough to shoot out of the window of our box blind. It seemed like we were 20 feet off the ground in that old rickety blind, but I'm guessing it was 8-10 feet up. Line the scope up, squeeze one off and down she goes.

I actually came across the picture of my first deer stuck to my 25 yard target at my parents house a while back.

My first buck was a bit different, and my dad still razzes me about that day. Dad and I were in the same rickety blind when I was 7 and a really nice 10 point walks out. I kept pestering dad that I wanted to shoot him, and he insisted he do it since I had buck fever so bad. I finally convinced him to let me shoot, BOOM, and the deer runs off. roflmao He said I was shaking so bad, the whole stand felt like it was going to come down and it was one of the biggest deer he had seen at that point. Not sure what happened next (I probably got chewed on a little for missing and not letting dad take the shot), but about 5-10 minutes later a little pencil horn 8 point walks out. By that time I had calmed down enough that I thought I could do it right this time. I get it dad's lap, squeeze the trigger, and the deer runs off again! I think dad had enough at that point, so we got down to go look for blood on the first deer. Not a drop of blood, hair, or anything. We then walk to where the 8 point was when I shot, and there he was, probably 20 yard from where I had shot.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429234 08/29/16 03:25 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
^^^ That's awesome

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429294 08/29/16 03:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
8 years old with a .303 british. Doe walks out I shoot, fall off my chair look out the window and she's on the ground. A little buck is now trying to mount her so pow, i'm back on the ground. When they came to pick me up my uncle asked me why all the shooting. I pointed over at them and said "the first came out and I got it the second on was trying to push the first one out of the trail so i got him too." They laughed and a few years later I got the joke. That was almost 35 yrs ago.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Your first deer story [Re: ZK-315] #6429384 08/29/16 04:43 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: ZK-315

My first buck was a bit different, and my dad still razzes me about that day. Dad and I were in the same rickety blind when I was 7 and a really nice 10 point walks out. I kept pestering dad that I wanted to shoot him, and he insisted he do it since I had buck fever so bad. I finally convinced him to let me shoot, BOOM, and the deer runs off. roflmao He said I was shaking so bad, the whole stand felt like it was going to come down and it was one of the biggest deer he had seen at that point. Not sure what happened next (I probably got chewed on a little for missing and not letting dad take the shot), but about 5-10 minutes later a little pencil horn 8 point walks out. By that time I had calmed down enough that I thought I could do it right this time. I get it dad's lap, squeeze the trigger, and the deer runs off again! I think dad had enough at that point, so we got down to go look for blood on the first deer. Not a drop of blood, hair, or anything. We then walk to where the 8 point was when I shot, and there he was, probably 20 yard from where I had shot.

100% true! ... and you got chewed out not for missing the deer, you got chewed out for the shot you attempted. Immediately following the shot, the deer looked around in all directions, it left quicker than I could get a gun up (having a 7 year old with one of the worst cases of buck fever sitting in my lap) ... I whispered "where did you try to shoot him?" ... "his neck!!!" ... "UH WHAT, HIS NECK???, WHY HIS NECK INSTEAD OF HIS SHOULDER LIKE WE PRACTICED???" ... "I dunno" ... I was fuming, it was the 10 point I had only seen across the north fence (Goodrich Ranch, 20k acres) the three previous seasons, heck of a deer before I knew anything about scoring, but suspect upper 140s to low 150s looking back.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Your first deer story [Re: hook_n_line] #6429424 08/29/16 05:01 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
8 years old with a .303 british. Doe walks out I shoot, fall off my chair look out the window and she's on the ground. A little buck is now trying to mount her so pow, i'm back on the ground. When they came to pick me up my uncle asked me why all the shooting. I pointed over at them and said "the first came out and I got it the second on was trying to push the first one out of the trail so i got him too." They laughed and a few years later I got the joke. That was almost 35 yrs ago.

Never a trophy, but have shot several nice culls trying to push a dead doe off the trail roflmao .

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429497 08/29/16 05:58 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
roflmao

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6429983 08/29/16 10:51 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
OK I'll chime in, great stories here. I was 12, Dad had a place in San Saba, basically a goat ranch we could hunt on. He pulled me out of school at noon for the drive. It was a box stand with a lid, worst design I've ever seen. Only way into the stand was leaning over the open top and trying to do a controlled fall. He said I had tags for anything, so if I see a deer without spots shoot it. Right at first light a big fat doe came wandering down the trail about 75 yards in front of me. I waited for her to make the turn, shot, and she dropped. Dad had told me that if I shot, just stay in the box until he got here. So I'm sitting there, looking at my doe, and a young 6-point comes down the trail behind her. So, of course I shoot him, too. He drops. Dad shows up behind me, "Did you get one?" "Yeah," I said. "Why'd you shoot twice?" "I got'em both!" The next year at 13 I killed a buck that took 2nd place in the county and that bastard goat farmer priced us off the lease. I always felt kinda' bad about that.

This was the '77 nd '78 seasons.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 08/29/16 10:56 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Your first deer story [Re: spoon33] #6430020 08/29/16 11:18 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
1971 on my grandfather's 50 acres out Vance Jackson in San Antonio. Feeding consisted of throwing some corn out on the ground and sitting in a dilapidated box blind. Little buck (5 pts. on two, spindly beams?) comes out and I beg dad to let me shoot it. I think all he saw was a cleaning chore, but he reluctantly said okay. .30-30 goes bang, deer drops. He did put the horns on a plaque, glued an envelope on the back with my age, where killed, etc. I still have the horns. I did the same thing for 2 of my girls when they killed their first buck (one was 13 points and the other was a nice 8 with 18" spread).

My grandfather sold all but a couple of acres around the house about 2 years later. Mission Trace condos went in. 'Learned my first lesson in "urban sprawl".

One daughter was in middle school when she shot her first buck. This was at the height of the AIDS scare. I let her help me clean it, but before she stuck her hands in the body cavity, she turns to me and says "Can I get AIDS doing this?" She's now a physician.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide