Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Newer browning a5 review #6423027 08/24/16 11:18 PM
topwater13 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Any first hand experience? I'd like a do all gun that I can take for dove, duck and geese...and this feels a little better to me than the beretta a400.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6423109 08/25/16 12:11 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
No first-hand experience here, you can probably find reviews online though by doing a web-search on the A5.

Personally, I trust Browning just as much as I trust Beretta - but that's just me. - I would go with the one that feels best.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6423617 08/25/16 12:11 PM
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I am with you. My main concern is not quality necessarily. Was interested in opinions on kick, cycle-ability on lighter loads, and longevity. cheers

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6423948 08/25/16 03:25 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Yea, buy the real thing, Benelli SBE II or M2, once you have to return it to Browning to get the firing pin retainer replaced because it's all chewed up, the new wears off fast, it looks all Browning, buts it's all Benelli inside

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6424282 08/25/16 06:22 PM
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Have you had one David? Surprisingly, I can't find many cons on the a5 online....other than personal preference. I like the way it shouldered.....but cabelas wouldn't give me a free test ride.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6424319 08/25/16 06:38 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
got one, like it, no probems

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6424400 08/25/16 07:25 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Don't know about now but five years ago David Maas had several large safes full of Browning shotguns. The new A5 has pretty harsh recoil to me. Other than that they are excellent shotguns IMO. Except for the standard Browning unnecessarily heavy trigger pull also.

Last edited by booradley; 08/25/16 07:26 PM.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6424419 08/25/16 07:38 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I had the old version humpback A5 and still have the Remington version, the Model 11. I bought the Remington first, and thinking it was old, that maybe it wouldn't last. Well, I shot it and shot it and shot it, and finally sold the A5 NIB. I shot that old gun way more than most of you will ever shoot a shotgun, and it's still going. I had a Briley choke system put in it, and I could hit em way out there. And yes, it kicks hard, and it took a little shooting before I was as good with it as I was with the Rem 1100 I had previously (that wore out and died ugly).

I'd shoot clay pigeons with buddies, who all had shiny new expensive over/unders, and when the clay pigeon got out of their range, I'd bust em with that old Remington. It kicks, but it really has range. I would, without question, have a new A5.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: booradley] #6424588 08/25/16 09:20 PM
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: booradley
Don't know about now but five years ago David Maas had several large safes full of Browning shotguns. The new A5 has pretty harsh recoil to me. Other than that they are excellent shotguns IMO. Except for the standard Browning unnecessarily heavy trigger pull also.

I am concerned about the recoil....especially on a dove hunt. What loads were you using?
I was not trying to be a SA with David...just was curious if he had firsthand experience with the gun in question.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6424762 08/25/16 11:14 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The old A5 used the long recoil system. If the friction rings were set right they were pretty soft shooting on my shoulder at least. The only thing the new A5 has in common with the old one is the humpback. The new A5's are inertia operated like Benelli's. Felt recoil is subjective and to me the new A5 has harsher recoil than a Benelli, everything else being equal. I don't think recoil would be an issue with dove loads, could be with duck loads.

Used 1 1/8 oz 7.5. Don't remember the brand but is was probably Rio.

Last edited by booradley; 08/25/16 11:17 PM.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6424791 08/25/16 11:42 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have one of the new A5s. I also own a benelli SBE. I hunt with the A5 much more often than the SBE. It is one sweet shooting gun. Swings great, light recoil, versatile. My one complaint is that the finish on mine (I have the black "stalker" version) seems to scuff/scratch more easily than I would like. It's a duck gun that gets muddy and bumped around all year, though, so it's no big deal.

I have zero complaints about the recoil. If you are complaining about recoil on a semi auto 12 guage shooting normal loads, than the problem is you not the gun, IMO. I haven't ever shot a semi auto shotgun with harsh recoil. My over-unders and pump 12s all kick harder than my A5. I will say that it seems to kick slightly harder than my SBE, but not enough for me to notice the difference shooting at live birds. It is also noticibly lighter (weight) than the SBE, which is really nice. My wife prefers shooting the A5 over any of my other shotguns if that says anything.

Browning, Benelli, Beretta...I have all of them, and you can't go wrong.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: TTUhunter4] #6424807 08/25/16 11:55 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I have one of the new A5s. I also own a benelli SBE. I hunt with the A5 much more often than the SBE. It is one sweet shooting gun. Swings great, light recoil, versatile. My one complaint is that the finish on mine (I have the black "stalker" version) seems to scuff/scratch more easily than I would like. It's a duck gun that gets muddy and bumped around all year, though, so it's no big deal.

I have zero complaints about the recoil. If you are complaining about recoil on a semi auto 12 guage shooting normal loads, than the problem is you not the gun, IMO. I haven't ever shot a semi auto shotgun with harsh recoil. My over-unders and pump 12s all kick harder than my A5. I will say that it seems to kick slightly harder than my SBE, but not enough for me to notice the difference shooting at live birds. It is also noticinly lighter (weight) than the SBE, which is really nice. My wife prefers shooting the A5 over any of my other shotguns if that says anything.

Some people have medical issues such that recoil is a problem he-man. And the catalogued weight of a 3.5" A5 is slightly more than a SBE II. The balance of a shotgun has a lot to do with perceived weight.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: booradley] #6425190 08/26/16 04:22 AM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: booradley
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

I have zero complaints about the recoil. If you are complaining about recoil on a semi auto 12 guage shooting normal loads, than the problem is you not the gun, IMO. I haven't ever shot a semi auto shotgun with harsh recoil. My over-unders and pump 12s all kick harder than my A5. I will say that it seems to kick slightly harder than my SBE, but not enough for me to notice the difference shooting at live birds. It is also noticinly lighter (weight) than the SBE, which is really nice. My wife prefers shooting the A5 over any of my other shotguns if that says anything.

Some people have medical issues such that recoil is a problem he-man. And the catalogued weight of a 3.5" A5 is slightly more than a SBE II. The balance of a shotgun has a lot to do with perceived weight.

I don't think it makes me a he-man to say that semi-auto shotguns are light recoiling compared to other shotguns of the same gauge, I just think it's reality. If you have medical issues that make you extra sensitive to recoil that's just fine, but the OP hasn't mentioned having such issues so I don't see how that's relevant. If anything that reinforces my statement that the issue is with you and not the gun.

FYI when I say the issue is with you I'm not poking fun or saying medical issues make you less manly, just that they make you more susceptible to recoil than most shooters.

I don't recall saying that I had an SBE 2. My SBE sure seems to weigh more than the A5, though. Could be wrong, but it seems like a significant difference in favor of the Browning.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6425229 08/26/16 06:14 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
You are correct, you stated you have an SBE not an SBE II. My bad. It seemed to me you did come across as beating your chest. If you didn't mean to then I accept that wasn't your intent.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6425264 08/26/16 11:03 AM
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I appreciate the input gentlemen. When I mention recoil on dove hunts, I think I should offer what I shoot now. I have a franchi 712 raptor gas gun that jumps quite a bit, and after 4 back to back hunts my cheek can get a little sore. I have ordered a new spring hoping that may help some, but the gun is very lightweight. I shoot great with it, but want something a little more versatile, softer shooting and rugged.
If it helps I all Harper Lee, I am coming off my second collar bone surgery.
flag

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6425680 08/26/16 04:11 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: topwater13
Have you had one David? Surprisingly, I can't find many cons on the a5 online....other than personal preference. I like the way it shouldered.....but cabelas wouldn't give me a free test ride.

Yea, I have one, you want to shoot the tur*

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6425688 08/26/16 04:14 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My 3.5" gun will not reliably cycle target loads at all, even after shooting 3" duck loads thru it.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6426372 08/27/16 01:57 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I have a new Browning and I really like it. It fits me very well. I have shot light 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2. It handled the red dirt out in west Texas and the mud and muck in the rice fields near El Campo. It is very easy to take down and clean. I got mine a couple of years ago and chokes were a little hard to find but now they are every where. I have Carlson LM and Pattern Master Code Black Duck. I like the Pattern Master Code Black Duck for most Duck and Goose Hunting. The Carlson LM is for Doves.

I would recommend the gun without hesitation.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: David Maas] #6426639 08/27/16 11:32 AM
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: David Maas

Yea, I have one, you want to shoot the tur*

I appreciate the offer and all of the other kind responses guys.

Re: Newer browning a5 review [Re: topwater13] #6427255 08/27/16 11:38 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I appreciate the input gentlemen. When I mention recoil on dove hunts, I think I should offer what I shoot now. I have a franchi 712 raptor gas gun that jumps quite a bit, and after 4 back to back hunts my cheek can get a little sore. I have ordered a new spring hoping that may help some, but the gun is very lightweight. I shoot great with it, but want something a little more versatile, softer shooting and rugged.
If it helps I all Harper Lee, I am coming off my second collar bone surgery.
flag

If you are getting cheek slap then you have a fit issue. I bought a new Benelli a while back and was getting cheek slap. David Maas told me to lengthen the stock and the slap went away.

Your Franchi being a gas operated gun will have less recoil than an A5. Since you seem to be having a fit issue with the 712, perceived recoil could be less with an A5 though if one fits you better. A5's have a lower comb than 712's so that may help you.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide