Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? #6421161 08/23/16 06:34 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I got an invitation to take an online CHL the other day. Opened it for grins and took the course, which was not much---about 30 minutes of instruction and 10 questions with no time for actual firing of a hand gun. After taking the test, you are charged $49.00 and supposedly a certificate is printed out and you have your CHL. Anyone ever done this? I balked about the time they wanted my credit card info. I figured it was worthless in the long run. Anyone else seen this and is it legal? I really don't even want a CHL, but was piddling when I saw this and wondered if it the real McCoy/

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6421166 08/23/16 06:38 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Don't think so, you have to qualify at the range. You have to send docs to state too, I wouldnt give cc info

Last edited by Bucks and Ducks; 08/23/16 06:40 PM.
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6421169 08/23/16 06:44 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Sounds like a scam to me.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6421170 08/23/16 06:44 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Yes there are a few states where you can apply online and get a CHL and it is good in Texas

I believe Virginia is one of the states.

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6421186 08/23/16 06:58 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Doing some research and found out that Arizona is another one. But, I agree, it still sounds like a scam.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6421376 08/23/16 09:39 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I may be out of date, but Ibelieve at one time you could also get Florida and Utah purely online/mail.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6421432 08/23/16 10:32 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just went thru LTC instructor school and this specific question came up. Unfortunately, it won't work.

In Texas you have to have a min of 4 hr class time...no way around it. In addition to the classroom portion, you also have to take a shooting proficiency test and pass with a score of 70%.

Hope that helps.

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg] #6421914 08/24/16 10:34 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Greg
Just went thru LTC instructor school and this specific question came up. Unfortunately, it won't work.

In Texas you have to have a min of 4 hr class time...no way around it. In addition to the classroom portion, you also have to take a shooting proficiency test and pass with a score of 70%.

Hope that helps.

You are saying getting a CHL in another state that doesn't require class/shootimg that your license is not valid in TExas?

I am gonna have to call BS on that one..........

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger] #6422162 08/24/16 02:40 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Hope that helps.

You are saying getting a CHL in another state that doesn't require class/shootimg that your license is not valid in TExas?

That is not what I'm saying...It is not possible to obtain a Texas LTC without going thru the class and shooting test.

If you want to explain to a Texas judge...how you live in Texas... And don't think you should take the class that the state put together, or pay them your money like everyone else... Then go for it. I wish you well.

It's sure not worth my time and effort to try and claim reciprocity from some other state I don't live in. May be to you though.

The class is actually packed with great information you will want to know if you carry. I sure got a lot out of it.

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg] #6425278 08/26/16 11:17 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Hope that helps.

That is not what I'm saying...It is not possible to obtain a Texas LTC without going thru the class and shooting test.

If you want to explain to a Texas judge...how you live in Texas... And don't think you should take the class that the state put together, or pay them your money like everyone else... Then go for it. I wish you well.

It's sure not worth my time and effort to try and claim reciprocity from some other state I don't live in. May be to you though.

The class is actually packed with great information you will want to know if you carry. I sure got a lot out of it.

You need to read the laws on reciprocity.

Are you Judge or a lawyer? Do you deal with handgun cases?

Uea, Kinda what I thought

Stop spreading mis information here

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger] #6426006 08/26/16 08:43 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
okay RedRanger... Please tell me how it's done. I'm not a judge and also not a lawyer. I'm a firearms instructor licensed with the NRA and the DPS of Texas. You?

The whole reason I chimed in was we spoke of this same exact thing during class.

Apparently there is some guy down near Houston jamming classrooms full (150 at a time) of customers that want to get their LTC. He says how there is no shooting portion and how his class is real quick and easy. You only have to fire a blank into a sound capturing bucket and pass a simple 10 question test. Next he brings up a lawyer telling everyone how the laws for some other states are good here and not to worry. Lots of unhappy customers thinking they were going to receive their Texas LTC. Nope. They got Florida LTC's.

Are they residents of Florida? Do they own property in FL?... Nope...Then what are they doing with another states LTC? Oh... They didn't want to pay their money and time like the other 1M+ other Texas LTC holders.

I for one, don't want to have that conversation with the State.

So far there are some 4k+ residents in the state of Texas with a Florida LTC. The state knows ALL about it and how how people are skirting the system.

So I'll say it again...is not possible to receive a Texas LTC Online. If you want to buy another states LTC online, then get after it.

Last edited by Greg; 08/26/16 10:11 PM.
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6427197 08/27/16 10:43 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
A Texas LTC renewal can be done entirely online if all conditions are met. I just did it.

An out of state CHL may or may not be recognized in Texas and it may or may not be recognized in other states where you may wish to travel- especially with regard to it not matching DL. Did I say that clearly enough? eg State A may not recognize a CHL from state B if the holder is not from state B.

I think one would be wise to look up the law at one of the websites like handgunlaw.us and thoroughly research the states of interest before acting. Personally, the TX LTC process is so easy there is little, other than initial cost, to dissuade me from getting the TX license. There are discounts for vets, seniors and I believe the indigent.

Then there is this: states de-list other states from their reciprocity agreements all the time and without fanfare- your out of state LTC/CHL could become invalid without your being aware.

Last edited by fishfree; 08/27/16 10:46 PM.
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg] #6484746 10/07/16 08:51 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
okay RedRanger... Please tell me how it's done. I'm not a judge and also not a lawyer. I'm a firearms instructor licensed with the NRA and the DPS of Texas. You?

The whole reason I chimed in was we spoke of this same exact thing during class.

Apparently there is some guy down near Houston jamming classrooms full (150 at a time) of customers that want to get their LTC. He says how there is no shooting portion and how his class is real quick and easy. You only have to fire a blank into a sound capturing bucket and pass a simple 10 question test. Next he brings up a lawyer telling everyone how the laws for some other states are good here and not to worry. Lots of unhappy customers thinking they were going to receive their Texas LTC. Nope. They got Florida LTC's.

Are they residents of Florida? Do they own property in FL?... Nope...Then what are they doing with another states LTC? Oh... They didn't want to pay their money and time like the other 1M+ other Texas LTC holders.

I for one, don't want to have that conversation with the State.

So far there are some 4k+ residents in the state of Texas with a Florida LTC. The state knows ALL about it and how how people are skirting the system.

So I'll say it again...is not possible to receive a Texas LTC Online. If you want to buy another states LTC online, then get after it.

How it is done?

Very easy, You go to the state you want to get your out of state licenses in and look at their website and follow the directions, Virginia is the one I looked at. It straight forward and easy, there is no magic code to read. I would say it is written on a 5th grade level.

Here is something else to help you understand in case you are confused.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/legal/reciprocity/

So you are scared to have a conversation with the state for being legal?

There are 12 states that issue Driver Licenses to Illegal Aliens in USA, but for sure they are legal in Texas to drive.

If you have an issue with the Reciprocity laws in Texas with CHL/LTC I suggest you take it up with your Texas Lawmakers and see if they will change the laws. But as of now it is legal to get you CHL online in certain states and it be valid in Texas.

I suggest you consult and attorney or LEO in your area to get up to speed.

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger] #6486676 10/08/16 07:42 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yeah... How's it done? You didn't show me anything. Did you say you taught LTC classes? I asked, but you never answered.

You can't get a Texas CHL online, they don't offer it.

also, If you love Virginia so much...why don't you just move there? You do realize this is the Texas Hunting Forum...And you look like a real idiot trying to incourage people to send their money out of state.
Nope...I will support The Great State of Texas.

I bet they have a Virginia Hunting Forum you could join confused2 I hear Virginia is for lovers

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6486696 10/08/16 07:57 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
FWIW, I wouldn't want to be in the situation where I had to use my firearm and then had to explain to the court why I had a permit from a state that I had never lived in instead of one from my state of residence. That in itself leads the court to wonder what else you may have done and why you didn't have the permit that is easily obtained.

No thanks ..... I don't want any undue scrutiny if I ever have to defend myself.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg] #6487392 10/09/16 09:08 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Yeah... How's it done? You didn't show me anything. Did you say you taught LTC classes? I asked, but you never answered.

You can't get a Texas CHL online, they don't offer it.

Again here is the link to Virginia

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

The OP never mentioned Texas about CHL online, he said online.

Again if you have any question I suggest you contact the Texas Attorney General or a local attorney or your local police department.

I suspect in few years Texas will also make the class obsolete and it will be all online as well, Last I heard getting a renewal in Texas you no longer had to do a class anymore, which was a waste of time

I suggest you go back and read the CHL guidelines in Texas, It appears as if you don't understand how it works.

Here is something for you to study and learn

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/legal/reciprocity/

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger] #6487538 10/09/16 02:23 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
LOL... Do you even have an LTC? Not some expired one from yrs ago, but are you current? If so, what state is your license from?

Last edited by Greg; 10/09/16 02:33 PM.
Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6488858 10/10/16 01:22 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Lets do the Math: LTC Non Residence license from Virgina $100

Texas : $140 Application fee, and then a class from $60 to $100 adds up to $200 to $240

It's a simple economics............

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg] #6488862 10/10/16 01:24 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
LOL... Do you even have an LTC? Not some expired one from yrs ago, but are you current? If so, what state is your license from?

Lets put it this way, I have probably forgotten more about CHL/LTC applications and renewals then you think you know

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6488993 10/10/16 03:09 PM
F
fishfree Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I just looked at the Virginia state website (above). In some ways it appears to be more stringent/difficult to get the VA CHL/LTC than it is to get the TX one. This is especially so with respect to the Documentation of Competence with a Handgun. In TX the class runs from $0 (some clubs, church groups) to well over $100 (including gun training classes).

In my opinion the TX CHL class is of little value (a lot of classes are dominated by the instructors personality and own biases and misconceptions about the law; the questions asked in the exam are pretty obvious, again my opinion). The VA gun competence examples like NRA course or active competitive shooting history is a more difficult barrier, possibly more expensive (not figured in to the costs above) but possibly better in assuring safety as newbs take up firearms for the first time in their lives. But as such it can be a bigger barrier to getting a CHL/LTC than paying $60 and sitting through a dull class.

I am hardcore 2A in that I don't think you should mutate a right into a licensed privilege. On the other hand a 'carrot' approach of enticing people to get professional gun handling training would be good. Make it tax deductible (income or property). I grew up with guns and think I am safe and effective BUT I know people who grew up with guns as well but are neither! I would not make them take an NRA class but I would sure encourage it and I would not object to gov offering carrots to entice them to do so.

All told, I think the VA issued is pretty legit and for any state that accepts it there would be no problem. As I wrote previously the laws constantly change and some states of qualifiers as to whether they take a 3rd party CHL making things that less certain. I would just get the TX lic.

You might lobby your state rep to look into adding a pure online process like the VA model if that appeals to you.

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger] #6489103 10/10/16 04:32 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Lets put it this way, I have probably forgotten more about CHL/LTC applications and renewals then you think you know

LOL Sure Ranger....Troll On up

Funny how you keep dodging my questions. Reminds me of Clinton. Just curious...but why? You should be able to answer them:

background? Are you an instructor? Do you have an up to date LTC, if so...what state?

I don't think you do.... I think you are just a troll that likes to talk big behind a keyboard... Proove me wrong big shot

Till you do, I'm done

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6489142 10/10/16 04:55 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If looking at cost...Florida offers a non-resident CCW permit for around $120. Not sure how much is done online.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6489154 10/10/16 05:04 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: BenBob
I got an invitation to take an online CHL the other day. Opened it for grins and took the course, which was not much---about 30 minutes of instruction and 10 questions with no time for actual firing of a hand gun. After taking the test, you are charged $49.00 and supposedly a certificate is printed out and you have your CHL. Anyone ever done this? I balked about the time they wanted my credit card info. I figured it was worthless in the long run. Anyone else seen this and is it legal? I really don't even want a CHL, but was piddling when I saw this and wondered if it the real McCoy/

The only thing Real McCoy about it is once you give your CC# then your in for a ride ! In Texas you register online to get a CHL but you MUST be fingerprinted at a local place they give directions to , and take a class in person which there you will get paper work that has to be sent in with other paperwork you download online . When you are fingerprinted that info will be sent to the same place you get your license from and it will be sent electronically . http://dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6489169 10/10/16 05:11 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Oh BTW for your info , if your a VETERAN your license will cost $25.00 , not the $140.00 mentioned above . That's for non-vets . Classes varies in cost , go with a trust-worthy person with a good reputation . Fingerprinting will cost you $10.00 which you can pay via CC online when you register or you can pay when you get your finger prints taken . Does not matter if you have been finger printed before , it is required with a CHL and a picture will be taken of you but that will not be the picture they use for your CHL , whatever is on record at the DPS at the time you get your license .

Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob] #6489523 10/10/16 09:21 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Quote:
Per Texas Government Code §411.173, legal residents of another state or persons who relocate to Texas with the intent to establish residency may obtain an LTC. Those individuals must submit an application, pay the required fees, successfully complete the required training in Texas and submit all supporting documents. They also must submit form CHL-6, two passport style photos and a copy of their out of state driver license or state issued identification card. Note, however, that all LTC applicants must be legal residents of Texas or another state.

If explaining to the judge why you have an out of state LTC, couldn't you just bring up the above Texas Code? Apply for a few jobs there if you need proof of intent to establish residency in the future.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide