Forum Stats
60446 Members
45 Forums
475859 Topics
6242562 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6421161 - 08/23/16 01:34 PM Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line?
BenBob Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
I got an invitation to take an online CHL the other day. Opened it for grins and took the course, which was not much---about 30 minutes of instruction and 10 questions with no time for actual firing of a hand gun. After taking the test, you are charged $49.00 and supposedly a certificate is printed out and you have your CHL. Anyone ever done this? I balked about the time they wanted my credit card info. I figured it was worthless in the long run. Anyone else seen this and is it legal? I really don't even want a CHL, but was piddling when I saw this and wondered if it the real McCoy/

#6421166 - 08/23/16 01:38 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
Bucks and Ducks Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Texas
Don't think so, you have to qualify at the range. You have to send docs to state too, I wouldnt give cc info

Edited by Bucks and Ducks (08/23/16 01:40 PM)

#6421169 - 08/23/16 01:44 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
TexasKC Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston & Lexington, Texas
Sounds like a scam to me.

#6421170 - 08/23/16 01:44 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
RedRanger Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Frisco, TX / Davao Philippines
Yes there are a few states where you can apply online and get a CHL and it is good in Texas

I believe Virginia is one of the states.

#6421186 - 08/23/16 01:58 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
BenBob Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
Doing some research and found out that Arizona is another one. But, I agree, it still sounds like a scam.

#6421376 - 08/23/16 04:39 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I may be out of date, but Ibelieve at one time you could also get Florida and Utah purely online/mail.

A. Einstein

#6421432 - 08/23/16 05:32 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
Greg Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: McKinney
Just went thru LTC instructor school and this specific question came up. Unfortunately, it won't work.

In Texas you have to have a min of 4 hr class time...no way around it. In addition to the classroom portion, you also have to take a shooting proficiency test and pass with a score of 70%.

Hope that helps.

#6421914 - 08/24/16 05:34 AM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg]
RedRanger Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Greg
Just went thru LTC instructor school and this specific question came up. Unfortunately, it won't work.

In Texas you have to have a min of 4 hr class time...no way around it. In addition to the classroom portion, you also have to take a shooting proficiency test and pass with a score of 70%.

Hope that helps.

You are saying getting a CHL in another state that doesn't require class/shootimg that your license is not valid in TExas?

I am gonna have to call BS on that one..........

#6422162 - 08/24/16 09:40 AM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger]
Greg Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Hope that helps.

You are saying getting a CHL in another state that doesn't require class/shootimg that your license is not valid in TExas?

That is not what I'm saying...It is not possible to obtain a Texas LTC without going thru the class and shooting test.

If you want to explain to a Texas judge...how you live in Texas... And don't think you should take the class that the state put together, or pay them your money like everyone else... Then go for it. I wish you well.

It's sure not worth my time and effort to try and claim reciprocity from some other state I don't live in. May be to you though.

The class is actually packed with great information you will want to know if you carry. I sure got a lot out of it.

#6425278 - 08/26/16 06:17 AM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg]
RedRanger Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Hope that helps.

That is not what I'm saying...It is not possible to obtain a Texas LTC without going thru the class and shooting test.

If you want to explain to a Texas judge...how you live in Texas... And don't think you should take the class that the state put together, or pay them your money like everyone else... Then go for it. I wish you well.

It's sure not worth my time and effort to try and claim reciprocity from some other state I don't live in. May be to you though.

The class is actually packed with great information you will want to know if you carry. I sure got a lot out of it.

You need to read the laws on reciprocity.

Are you Judge or a lawyer? Do you deal with handgun cases?

Uea, Kinda what I thought

Stop spreading mis information here

#6426006 - 08/26/16 03:43 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger]
Greg Online   content
Extreme Tracker

okay RedRanger... Please tell me how it's done. I'm not a judge and also not a lawyer. I'm a firearms instructor licensed with the NRA and the DPS of Texas. You?

The whole reason I chimed in was we spoke of this same exact thing during class.

Apparently there is some guy down near Houston jamming classrooms full (150 at a time) of customers that want to get their LTC. He says how there is no shooting portion and how his class is real quick and easy. You only have to fire a blank into a sound capturing bucket and pass a simple 10 question test. Next he brings up a lawyer telling everyone how the laws for some other states are good here and not to worry. Lots of unhappy customers thinking they were going to receive their Texas LTC. Nope. They got Florida LTC's.

Are they residents of Florida? Do they own property in FL?... Nope...Then what are they doing with another states LTC? Oh... They didn't want to pay their money and time like the other 1M+ other Texas LTC holders.

I for one, don't want to have that conversation with the State.

So far there are some 4k+ residents in the state of Texas with a Florida LTC. The state knows ALL about it and how how people are skirting the system.

So I'll say it again...is not possible to receive a Texas LTC Online. If you want to buy another states LTC online, then get after it.

Edited by Greg (08/26/16 05:11 PM)

#6427197 - 08/27/16 05:43 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
fishfree Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: west texas
A Texas LTC renewal can be done entirely online if all conditions are met. I just did it.

An out of state CHL may or may not be recognized in Texas and it may or may not be recognized in other states where you may wish to travel- especially with regard to it not matching DL. Did I say that clearly enough? eg State A may not recognize a CHL from state B if the holder is not from state B.

I think one would be wise to look up the law at one of the websites like handgunlaw.us and thoroughly research the states of interest before acting. Personally, the TX LTC process is so easy there is little, other than initial cost, to dissuade me from getting the TX license. There are discounts for vets, seniors and I believe the indigent.

Then there is this: states de-list other states from their reciprocity agreements all the time and without fanfare- your out of state LTC/CHL could become invalid without your being aware.

Edited by fishfree (08/27/16 05:46 PM)

#6484746 - 10/07/16 03:51 AM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: Greg]
RedRanger Offline
Veteran Tracker

okay RedRanger... Please tell me how it's done. I'm not a judge and also not a lawyer. I'm a firearms instructor licensed with the NRA and the DPS of Texas. You?

The whole reason I chimed in was we spoke of this same exact thing during class.

Apparently there is some guy down near Houston jamming classrooms full (150 at a time) of customers that want to get their LTC. He says how there is no shooting portion and how his class is real quick and easy. You only have to fire a blank into a sound capturing bucket and pass a simple 10 question test. Next he brings up a lawyer telling everyone how the laws for some other states are good here and not to worry. Lots of unhappy customers thinking they were going to receive their Texas LTC. Nope. They got Florida LTC's.

Are they residents of Florida? Do they own property in FL?... Nope...Then what are they doing with another states LTC? Oh... They didn't want to pay their money and time like the other 1M+ other Texas LTC holders.

I for one, don't want to have that conversation with the State.

So far there are some 4k+ residents in the state of Texas with a Florida LTC. The state knows ALL about it and how how people are skirting the system.

So I'll say it again...is not possible to receive a Texas LTC Online. If you want to buy another states LTC online, then get after it.

How it is done?

Very easy, You go to the state you want to get your out of state licenses in and look at their website and follow the directions, Virginia is the one I looked at. It straight forward and easy, there is no magic code to read. I would say it is written on a 5th grade level.

Here is something else to help you understand in case you are confused.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/legal/reciprocity/

So you are scared to have a conversation with the state for being legal?

There are 12 states that issue Driver Licenses to Illegal Aliens in USA, but for sure they are legal in Texas to drive.

If you have an issue with the Reciprocity laws in Texas with CHL/LTC I suggest you take it up with your Texas Lawmakers and see if they will change the laws. But as of now it is legal to get you CHL online in certain states and it be valid in Texas.

I suggest you consult and attorney or LEO in your area to get up to speed.

#6486676 - 10/08/16 02:42 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: RedRanger]
Greg Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Yeah... How's it done? You didn't show me anything. Did you say you taught LTC classes? I asked, but you never answered.

You can't get a Texas CHL online, they don't offer it.

also, If you love Virginia so much...why don't you just move there? You do realize this is the Texas Hunting Forum...And you look like a real idiot trying to incourage people to send their money out of state.
Nope...I will support The Great State of Texas.

I bet they have a Virginia Hunting Forum you could join confused2 I hear Virginia is for lovers

#6486696 - 10/08/16 02:57 PM Re: Is it possible to obtain your CHL entirely on line? [Re: BenBob]
Creedmoor Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
FWIW, I wouldn't want to be in the situation where I had to use my firearm and then had to explain to the court why I had a permit from a state that I had never lived in instead of one from my state of residence. That in itself leads the court to wonder what else you may have done and why you didn't have the permit that is easily obtained.

No thanks ..... I don't want any undue scrutiny if I ever have to defend myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide