Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Choctaw] #6421040 08/23/16 04:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

People just need to stop video taping everything and putting it on YouTube. Videos, texts and cell phone cameras get more people in trouble than anything else. If that guy wouldn't have video taped it none of this would be happening

But then how will the world know how incredibly awesome we think we are? Look at me, I'm so awesome. It's a beating.

Agree 100%. Just another byproduct of the commercialization of hunting.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421062 08/23/16 04:59 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
The whole world is about self promotion these days.

Even Jesus healed and then said "go forth and tell no one". People should practice that discretion more these days

Well, Jesus wasn't engaged in a business to make money from sponsors to help pay for his hunting pleasure, LOL. So the out-of-context quote from Mark, Matthew, etc. doesn't seem to exactly apply here. Sponsors want promotion, but they want positive promotion. Sarah Bowmar probably should have run the hunt parameters by UA before appearing in the video in UA gear or at least before releasing the video.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6421115 08/23/16 05:43 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
The whole world is about self promotion these days.

Even Jesus healed and then said "go forth and tell no one". People should practice that discretion more these days

Well, Jesus wasn't engaged in a business to make money from sponsors to help pay for his hunting pleasure, LOL. So the out-of-context quote from Mark, Matthew, etc. doesn't seem to exactly apply here. Sponsors want promotion, but they want positive promotion. Sarah Bowmar probably should have run the hunt parameters by UA before appearing in the video in UA gear or at least before releasing the video.

Not sure where you got the idea I thought UA had no right to pull support or make business decisions against a type of hunting they don't like.

I stated I didn't care. And I don't think they get to determine ethics for others. Nobody does.

They made their decision and I fully support their right to do it. And I'm all for each individual hunter making their own personal choice about ethics and the support of legal hunting. I hope the hunting community unites and makes UA's business decision bite them right square in the grundies.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421119 08/23/16 05:44 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Wow, a good debate going on in a hunting forum discussing ethics and Jesus. I could dig into this!

Seriously, the word ethics these days has almost become defined as "what the person with the microphone feels is right". It's funny that we define what is ethical based on who we are talking about or to who we are talking. Sad. There exists an objective ethic. Many people in the US don't believe that anymore and rather subscribe to relative ethics, or moral realitivism. This is part of the reason the US is falling apart at the seams. In relativism, what is right is based on the moment and the emotions, rather than what truly is right or wrong.
In this situation, it seems the spear did the job and quite well, dropping the bear at 60 yards (per statement made above, I have not researched it myself) which is probably much better than most bow hunters do with WT deer. Does that make the spear any more unethical than a bow? Does that make ancient Indians who only killed with spears unethical? I think we all know the answers to these questions. The problem lies in the nature of the kill. This wasn't done for hunger, to feed a family. It was done for self promotion, as evidenced by the GoPro strapped to the spear. Is any hunting done for self promotion unethical (needless killing)? Possibly...would you say a kid killing a mouse to show off to his friends is unethical? This touches on Jesus saying not to tell people of his healing, it wasn't so much about self promotion, but that the people didn't believe in Him as the messiah and it wasn't the proper time to reveal himself to those people, he did plenty of self promotion when the time was right, just in more subtle ways than this hunter.
But as has been mentioned, corporations don't really have an ethic to them, they operate in very black and white (red) terms, and whatever decision is being made is done in a purely profit minded decision. It may be hard to believe, but I bet there were people who placed both sides of the argument to the powers at UA, and the argument was made which side do we potentially piss off more, the Antis or the pros. UA's problem was they tried to make it sound all fancy when they injected ethics is a simple business decision. That PR person needs to be dropped as well.
There are a lot of questions to be asked to get to the root of your ethics, as some have said, ethics is personal, and not everyone has the same ethics. However, it does not mean your brand if ethics is actually right. Just ask if Jeffrey Dahmer's (spelling?) or David Koresh's (again, spelling?) ethics should have been allowed to be "free to express", as according to relativism there is no concrete right or wrong, just what you feel is right or wrong (until what you feel is right conflicts with mine and then you are wrong, its never me who is wrong). So complicatingly simple right?

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421155 08/23/16 06:24 PM
M
Murphy001 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I could care less if someone makes a shot @ 800 yards, or jumps on a hog's back with a pair of toe nail clippers. To each their own. I do think some have lost touch with why we hunt. A lot of people can't even go in the woods any more without a Go-Pro duck taped to their forehead.

Spear boy got the attention he was looking for.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421158 08/23/16 06:29 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
If every outdoorsman/woman that buys this stuff, stops buying, probably wouldn't make a dent in their sales. Now if they bring up poor ethics for jogging, or bike riders, they will go broke..Oh sorry, left out the Yeti crowd peep

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421175 08/23/16 06:50 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
That guy deserves props. It's been many years since I'd have been crazy enough to stand there with no cover and chunk a stick at a bear. Pretty wild video. Looked like a solid hit to me...not a gut shot. You can see blood spew . Maybe one lung and gut if anything. That was awesome. I'd rather bowhunt but that's pretty impressive.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421188 08/23/16 06:59 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Problem is there are to many people with nothing to do but go to a coffe shop and sip they're fancy drinks and be offended about everything. Live in the now and be happy and much as you can. Don't let stupid little things make you mad. Be happy that dove season is close. Then the whole year will fly by and we will be so happy till Tax time and we will all have something real to be mad about. God bless us all:)

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421276 08/23/16 08:19 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^ First world problems for sure!

I would bet no one is mad at the antive Africans killing baboons and lions for survival purposes, but one "rich dentist" goes over and kills a lion and the world is suddenly alive with anti-hunters.

More about the haves and have-nots than hunters and anti-hunters in my mind. The more classes of people the powers that be get to fight each other, the more the powers can get away with while everyone focuses on the fighting. Diversion. Classic power play. the world is getting very good at that too.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Murphy001] #6421305 08/23/16 08:49 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Murphy001
I do think some have lost touch with why we hunt. A lot of people can't even go in the woods any more without a Go-Pro duck taped to their forehead.

Spear boy got the attention he was looking for.

Haha.....live and learn.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421310 08/23/16 08:52 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I'll stick with Cold Gear for hunting and Heat Gear for my socks year around..

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421317 08/23/16 08:55 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
One thing to do is call up the big hunting stores and tell them about the situation. Having UA products sit on their shelves making no money will hurt.

A little bit different situation but Cabelas had planned on having the guys from Big Fish Texas show up and everyone called in and told them the guys on the show don't support recreational fishermen and Cabelas canceled them.

I don't care about the ethics part. He hunted lawfully. And if you guys who are thinking about ethics don't believe the same people complaining about this crap wont go after your bows and guns then you don't know jack.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Dien] #6421526 08/24/16 12:17 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Dien

I don't care about the ethics part. He hunted lawfully. And if you guys who are thinking about ethics don't believe the same people complaining about this crap wont go after your bows and guns then you don't know jack.

That is what I feel like people are missing, this is just the start. Next will be bow hunting when someone posts a video and the animal runs off. If we as hunters don't make a stand crap like this will only get worse. I've seen plenty of hunting shows where an animal shot with a bow or rifle ran way, way farther than that bear, why not the outrage then? It is only a matter of time.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421530 08/24/16 12:20 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Not sure where you got the idea I thought UA had no right to pull support or make business decisions against a type of hunting they don't like.

Nope, I was commenting on the contextual irrelevance of citing Biblical passages for this situation. You can't really tell people who are in the business of promotion of products, who are paid to promote products, to "go forth and tell no one" because that is what Jesus said. Jesus just wasn't in the sporting goods marketing business. The video was entitled, “Cabelas and Under Armour Forest Truck Tour”.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6421558 08/24/16 12:42 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
My thought is that they bailed before the media made a big deal of it. They look like heroes in the eyes of the left now.
The media can sway the sheeple of this country in a powerful way, UA didn't want to be part of that.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6421654 08/24/16 01:59 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
This thread needs to be moved to the Spear Chucker forum

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6421892 08/24/16 06:16 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Nope, I was commenting on the contextual irrelevance of citing Biblical passages for this situation. You can't really tell people who are in the business of promotion of products, who are paid to promote products, to "go forth and tell no one" because that is what Jesus said. Jesus just wasn't in the sporting goods marketing business. The video was entitled, “Cabelas and Under Armour Forest Truck Tour”.

You might want to go back and read my post. I never mentioned Jesus or his quotes. I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about above.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6422299 08/24/16 04:22 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Love Jesus!

Amen

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6422470 08/24/16 05:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
David killed lion and bear with his spear so I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't mind this deal. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6422553 08/24/16 06:48 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
David killed lion and bear with his spear so I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't mind this deal. smile

Did David have some kind of [censored] hunting YouTube channel? Or GoPro cameras mounted so he could promote himself?

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: maximus_flavius] #6422558 08/24/16 06:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Did David have some kind of [censored] hunting YouTube channel? Or GoPro cameras mounted so he could promote himself?

I don't think so. He did end up with some pretty good PR once the Bible was published though. smile

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6424664 08/25/16 10:07 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
interesting ... saw this link to a petition to Cabela's to stop selling UA ... Link to Petition

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6424694 08/25/16 10:25 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
First response is kind of funny.

Re: Time to boycott Under Armour! [Re: Bag'em & Tag'em] #6425230 08/26/16 06:15 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I must say, this thread sure has covered some pretty wide ground. We've gone from bear hunting to Jesus with a GoPro. grin

So maybe, just maybe "unethical" wasn't the right term for me to use. "Unsportsmanlike" would be better.

Consider this video as a basis for my point of view. (I'm purposely not embedding it.)

Alternative Black Bear video

When you see that, how do you possibly get an adrenaline rush throwing a spear at one? Now, do that to a grizzly as someone said? Little more sporting there as they'll chew your [censored] off with a gut shot or a miss!

If you didn't like my comment on ethics, this will give you validation. Not only do I usually wear full camo while hunting, I do wear it in a box blind, that has a cot where I can take a nap, it does have a heater I use a great deal AND I'm usually wearing my UA drawers, UA socks and even UA long johns. That's just how we do it.

Charlie

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide