Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,039
Posts9,719,701
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question #6419070 08/22/16 03:09 AM
D
DoveMaster Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
My situation is this, i have some land that i'm going to put about 2-3 cows on, about 7 acres, and i currently have one fence on my north boundary line, that for the most part is a woven sheep/goat looking fence running down it with T posts, and a single barbed wire running across the top. It looks like there are several places where cows to the north have pushed it in. I'm fencing in on my south boundary line, with a new fence to fence in my own future cattle, and was planning on running 5 string of barbed wire across. Neighborman has asked me if i could do the same type fencing that is on my north end, that other neighbor had in place long before i bought place...... he may be willing to chip in on difference, i'm just wondering in the long run would it be a mistake and a headache with cattle pushing through. I already have major concerns with fence to my north, dealing with pressures of cattle. I'm thinking a 5 sringed barbed wire is the way to go.

Picture of type im talking about is at http://www.redbrand.com/Products/SheepGoatFence/SquareDealKnot.aspx except the top has one barbed wire line running across.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419086 08/22/16 03:26 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
We have field fencing around our house to keep the hogs out. Cattle haven't done any damage to it so far. JMO but I don't like Red Brand fencing. I use Stay Tuff field wire made in New Braunfels. Generally speaking I like a 6 strand barbed wire fence for cattle. It helps to keep them from sticking their head through the fence. Lots of different opinions on fencing but that's my 2 cents worth.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419361 08/22/16 01:51 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
... i'm just wondering in the long run would it be a mistake and a headache with cattle pushing through. ....

IF not barbed or electric, they'll eventually push it over; and once they do it first time, they'll quickly repeat (assuming you find them and get them back). They'll even rub up against it for a good scratch, bending those t-posts like toothpicks.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419388 08/22/16 02:09 PM
D
deewayne2003 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
If the neighbor wanted you to do the same woven fencing that already exists; I would do so with 2 conditions to your neighbor.

1. He not only chip in for the difference in fencing cost; but also pick up the bill for getting the original northern boundary fence repaired to good condition.

2. The neighbor would be responsible for the cost of installing and maintaining an electric hotwire on both the northern boundary and the new boundary; which will help maintain both the new fence and the northern fence that was just restored.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419447 08/22/16 02:53 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
We've run cattle for 60 years, and our fences are all netwire with two top barbs. I've never had an issue with a cow trying to go through it (although our long-legged Brangus bull will go OVER it occasionally). 48" net, a barb about 1" over that, and another barb about 8-9" up so deer legs can't snag the two barbs. 2 3/8" pipe posts every 90 feet, 5 Tposts spaced 15' in between. As long as you stretch it right they'll leave it alone.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419457 08/22/16 02:59 PM
B
BudMan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I have miles of cattle fence on my ranch. I have a combination of barb on some and field wire in other places. Both hold up good mostly. Field wire is nirvana for all the vines that want to grow and pull it down. I think the trick to keeping cattle in a field wire fence is 48" tall wire and three strands of closely spaced barb on top using 6 foot t-posts at about 8 feet spacing. That will keep both people out and cows in. One strand on top is not a deterrent and the 5 feet tall fence will keep them from trying to jump over it. I use a wood post every 5 or 6 t-posts. A field wire fence is usually quicker to install too plus it keeps the hogs out also. It's all too expensive unfortunately.
Bud

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419485 08/22/16 03:16 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Five barbs will turn most cows but I prefer seven barb. Fence builders here charge the same for 7 barb or 48" net with two barbs. My preferred fence is 48" high tensile net with one barb laying on top of the net and the 2nd barb 8" higher. This doesn't catch as many deer.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419514 08/22/16 03:31 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Some cattle will stay in with a single strand of slick wire. Some you can't keep in with anything.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: don k] #6419585 08/22/16 04:11 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Some cattle will stay in with a single strand of slick wire. Some you can't keep in with anything.

You got that right! I've got good fences on my place but my neighbor has one "jumper" and she's on our place all the time. I have yet to find out how or when she jumps the fence.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419739 08/22/16 05:41 PM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
for the most part is a woven sheep/goat looking fence running down it with T posts, and a single barbed wire running across the top. It looks like there are several places where cows to the north have pushed it in.

Sounds like there are no line posts, only t posts. If wood line posts are installed every 50-60 ft after 4 tpost(I use 12ft spacing so mine are 60ft) in between, the fence won't lean, even with cattle leaning through with their head between the strands to graze the other side. This applies to barbed wire but regular field fence will also begin to lean over time if it's only installed with tposts. High tensile field fence is different and should be stretched tight from the ends & will not lean if the braces ore solid and installed properly.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6419831 08/22/16 06:21 PM
B
BudMan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Here is a quick pic of a sample of my fences on my ranch. I have some bulls in the area that fall in love with whatever is on the other side occasionally and well nothing is going to stop that I suppose.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: BudMan] #6420008 08/22/16 07:55 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: BudMan
Here is a quick pic of a sample of my fences on my ranch. I have some bulls in the area that fall in love with whatever is on the other side occasionally and well nothing is going to stop that I suppose.

Budman we have put two strands of barb inside the net inside our bull pastures over the years. If you have neighbouring bulls wrecking your fence try putting a couple of barbs a foot and a half apart on the outside of your fence.

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6421369 08/23/16 09:28 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
For cow and calf patches I like a 5-strand fence. Determined cows can jump it without tearing it up and get a fast ride to the sale barn. I always put the bottom strand one hammer's height (length) off the ground, just the way I was taught. When I had bulls I'd run a 20-mile Zeraba solar charged electric fence on about 8" standoffs from the t-posts. I have few 110v constant-on high impedence chargers from the 50's and 60's that are so hot if the light's flickering "short to ground" I'd unplug it and go look for the dead coon or coyote on the wire. I think those are regulated now, if not outlawed alltogether. Those were used around commercial turkey farms into the 70's. You DON'T want to pee on one of those wires, or dare someone to do so. There's warning stickers on the sides that they'll kill a horse. Sorry, off topic, got a little nolstalic there for minute.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 08/23/16 09:33 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: Slow Drifter] #6421422 08/23/16 10:14 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
For cow and calf patches I like a 5-strand fence. Determined cows can jump it without tearing it up and get a fast ride to the sale barn. I always put the bottom strand one hammer's height (length) off the ground, just the way I was taught. When I had bulls I'd run a 20-mile Zeraba solar charged electric fence on about 8" standoffs from the t-posts. I have few 110v constant-on high impedence chargers from the 50's and 60's that are so hot if the light's flickering "short to ground" I'd unplug it and go look for the dead coon or coyote on the wire. I think those are regulated now, if not outlawed alltogether. Those were used around commercial turkey farms into the 70's. You DON'T want to pee on one of those wires, or dare someone to do so. There's warning stickers on the sides that they'll kill a horse. Sorry, off topic, got a little nolstalic there for minute.
that 110v brings back memories, and that trip to the sale barn with fence jumpers is right on

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: BudMan] #6421431 08/23/16 10:30 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A

I hate fences, but they are a necessary evil in many cases. The above example keeps fawns from following mommy and then the stands of barbed wire at the top will catch does and bucks as they try to jump it.

The question is about cattle, and I assume there are few, if any any, deer on the property?

5 strands of barbed wire makes a fine cattle fence. Use the regular 2-point wire, not the light weight 4-point stuff that will make you bleed just looking at it.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 08/23/16 10:31 PM.
Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6422847 08/24/16 09:37 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
^^^ Correct, God how I hate that Gaucho wire. The barbs and wire itself are so coursely cut it makes the saying, "Can't get blood from a stone," questionable.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Fencing for cattle, just wondering if anyone has advice on this question [Re: DoveMaster] #6423146 08/25/16 12:33 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I always build 6 strand 12.5 gauge barb wire, T posts every 12’ - 4” heavy wall steel pipe every 100’.
No wood in my fencing.

The only place I use field fencing is weaning pastures, Stay Tuff brand is all I’ll use.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide