476319 Topics
6248296 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6417846 - 08/21/16 01:31 AM Young dog is going to be awesome
Wacm Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
I bought my 10 month old GSP out with me filling feeders today. At one stop she tore into the cedar and out jumped a bunch of young turkeys. They started running into a pasture. Coco came out of the cedar about 20 yards behind them and moving. I was fumbling for the shock collar remote and decided I'll let her chase cause she won't catch them thus firming the reason to point.
Boy was I wrong. She easily ran em down and pounced on one. Wings were going everywhere and the turkey managed to break free. I yelled at her and called her and she came running back just as happy as could be. I wasn't sure about whether to punish her so I just ignored her and led her to the kennel.
A few stops later I'm gathering gear to repair a solar panel. I went a while without looking for her. I'm looking a while and she her on a staunch point. I drop the gear and run over there. Softly woaing her up. The birds held really tight. I was 10 yards in front of her when a covey busted out. I could see some really young birds in the mix. They can fly already.
I was worried when she caught the turkey she might be ruined and I'd at lease has some work to do with her but she pointed and held really well.
Finally I was all done and the sun was low so I brought her to a really pretty pasture to watch her run in the waning sunlight...always make me happy smile
She stacks up at the edge of some really high grass. Just solid once again. She's a hundred yards away so I'm running in saying whoa. I get there and she is defiantly standing in scent. As I take a step into the higher grass a hen turkey busts out of there 40 yards ahead. I can't believe it held like that. What a great day.

#6417887 - 08/21/16 06:46 AM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Sounds like you gat a good one.

#6418411 - 08/21/16 03:34 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
nak Offline
Tracker

Loc: DFW
It sounds like you've got a good one! While fully broke and finished dogs are pleasure to hunt behind, that first season with talented pup is something you will cherish for many years.

Keep us updated..and maybe throw in some picture now and then.

#6419125 - 08/21/16 11:37 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
Wacm Offline
Bird Dog

Yes I know I wish I got pictures of that last point. It was gorgeous with the sun low.

#6421341 - 08/23/16 04:06 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
rowdydog1 Offline
Woodsman

Where did you get the dog? I'm always interested in good breeders of GSPs.

#6422386 - 08/24/16 12:08 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
SaintsReturn Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Fort Worth Texas
What a great story. I love these dogs on point. My GSP was a rescue and she trained really well. I live in the burbs and found out a year later that she points, retireves, is very smart but, when that 12g comes out she is done. Can't wait to hear about your hunts in the future and of course, some great pictures!

#6422456 - 08/24/16 12:50 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Sounds like you have a great pup... you are doing some little things right that make a big difference. When I read she came right back after calling with a turkey on the move thats a good lesson. You did the right thing not to scold here on return thats one thing 90% of dog owners do wrong. Scold there dog after the fact when they should be rewarding for coming. A dog that is happy to come no matter what their nose or eyes are on is one if the simplest but most under emphasized parts of training.

#6423543 - 08/25/16 01:43 AM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: MoBettaHuntR]
Wacm Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Sounds like you have a great pup... you are doing some little things right that make a big difference. When I read she came right back after calling with a turkey on the move thats a good lesson. You did the right thing not to scold here on return thats one thing 90% of dog owners do wrong. Scold there dog after the fact when they should be rewarding for coming. A dog that is happy to come no matter what their nose or eyes are on is one if the simplest but most under emphasized parts of training.

Thanks..been doing lots of research. Tried many approaches. She responds best to praise when she's done right and totally ignored when not done right.

She is a privately bred dog from John Prince kennels and Rosehills kennel. A Lubbock dog and a Kansas dog.

#6424128 - 08/25/16 11:51 AM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
gary roberson Offline
Pro Tracker

Sounds like she has a lot of hunt in her and that is the most important characteristic that a hunting dog must possess.
Good luck with her.
Adios,
Gary

#6427351 - 08/27/16 08:05 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: SaintsReturn]
LReichardt Offline
Woodsman

Loc: North Dallas
Slowly increasing noise during feeding sessions can sometimes help a dog get used to loud noises. The old spoon and pot works pretty good.

#6430840 - 08/30/16 07:44 AM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
sounds like you have a good one, I always used a starter pistol, like above post, use when dog is excited

#6431100 - 08/30/16 10:01 AM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Originally Posted By: Wacm
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Thanks..been doing lots of research. Tried many approaches. She responds best to praise when she's done right and totally ignored when not done right.

She is a privately bred dog from John Prince kennels and Rosehills kennel. A Lubbock dog and a Kansas dog.

Ive had a few out Lubbock. Enjoy her!

#6434603 - 09/01/16 01:52 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: Wacm]
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: magnolia tx
What does privately bred mean

#6434932 - 09/01/16 05:34 PM Re: Young dog is going to be awesome [Re: blanked]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond

Originally Posted By: blanked
What does privately bred mean

Back yard breeding. I've had some great ones.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide