Forum Stats
60061 Members
45 Forums
471380 Topics
6184272 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6417175 - 08/20/16 03:43 PM Hello from a new guy and a few questions...
BudMan Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Huntsville, Tex.
Hi Everyone! My name is Bud and I have been a lurker here for a while. I decided to register and participate in the discussions. I live in Huntsville, Texas and I own a cattle ranch and a few businesses and a few websites.I am also an Author and I have a new novel about to be published soon. I am an avid freshwater fisherman mainly on the Trinity River. I grew up hunting and fishing with my family, although I gravitated more towards the fishing aspect as I got older. My hobbies include flying full scale airplanes as well as RC models and I have a small airstrip on my ranch. I am married and we have no children and I am currently 57 years old. That's about it I suppose...

This year I want to kill a few deer on my property and I have set up a few PVC style corn feeders and cameras. I don't really want to mess with building a permanent blind right now as I am too busy, so I have bought a cheapo Academy pop-up blind for this season. I have the blind set on the ground at 50 yds. from the feeder. I want to hunt using my trusty Model 94 30-30 lever action Winchester. One of my questions concerns my ability to get a clean kill at that distance using the stock sights on the gun in low light. I am thinking of side mounting a scope for the season. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts? I am a pretty decent shot with the stock sights when messing around the ranch, but I think I would feel more confident using a scope for deer hunting.

My next question is how durable are these little blinds? My blind is a stock Academy brand made of nylon much like a tent. If I set the blind out now, will it last in the elements for the season? It will still be plenty hot around here for a while longer. I am trying to figure out what to use for a floor to keep out snakes. Any tips would be appreciated!
My website;

#6417210 - 08/20/16 04:07 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
SwampHunterFw Offline

The 30-30 open sights will do just fine if you feel confident or you can put scope on it I have killed deer out to 150 yards with iron sights just how confident you feel
Low light will be harder with a scope unless you get a pretty good one
The blind will last one season out there , like a tent though so don't plan on leaving it for a year or so it will weather and tear ,

Edited by SwampHunterFw (08/20/16 04:07 PM)

#6417212 - 08/20/16 04:10 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
12shotgun Offline

Loc: Round Rock, TX
I've heard of people leaving the blind all season long, however I assume it will depend on the weather and if it contacts branches/vegetation which could tear it. Also read here of people finding snakes in them so a good check with a flashlight before entering would be necessary.
As for the side mounted scope, I have no experience with it, but I mounted a 3x9 on an old Marlin 336 for my son to use. It's overkill and a fixed 4x or 1-4x should be all you need for that gun. Seems like you have good experience with it and probably will do good without a scope anyway. Best of luck!
Outdoor enthusiast

#6417236 - 08/20/16 04:27 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Welcome aboard! That M94/30-30 combo has been killing deer and bigger critters for a long time. I don't think we as humans have devolved to such a point as to render it incapable. If you can put three out of three in a pie plate at 50 yards that equates to a dead deer, unless the pie plate is on his rump. You can improve your odds two ways. One, point your stand/blind so your primary line of fire is east and hunt mostly in the mornings, or line it up so your primary shots are north. A setting sun in your eyes and iron sights is not an ideal combination. Facing north puts the wind in your face, primarily northeast, I think, and reduces the chances of getting busted by does at the feeder. There's several sight paints out there tht you can ue to make them easier to see in low light. I've never been a fan of scopes on lever guns, but that's purely a personal preference. The M94 is balanced so perfectly,think of it as mounting a weather balloon to the top of your airplane and trying to fly it. That may be a bit of a drastic comparison, but you get the idea.

What kind of land is it? Wooded or open? I wouldn't count on that vinyl stand lasting more than a few weeks if left out in the elements. If the land is wooded, you might be better off with a brush pile and a lawn chair.

Can't help you with tha snake thing. They're gonna' go where they wanna' go. Keep snacks (crackers, cookies, etc.) from staying in the stand and that will help reduce rodents, in turn reducing the likelihood of rodent hunters (snakes).

Good luck have fun and be safe!
"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

#6417242 - 08/20/16 04:31 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
welcome open sights should be fine. I would chum the area around the PVC so more deer can feed. Pop-up should be fine except for high winds or storms. If you are concerned about snakes take nylon mesh around the outside perimeter of the blind and they will get caught in it. Good Luck
GET A MORTGAGE HERE AND GET A FREE YETI or Ramball Grill Pit or Custom knife from Mike C!

#6417250 - 08/20/16 04:35 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
Grizz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Granbury, TX
The first gun I ever deer hunted with was an old Winchester 94 with a side saddle scope mount so I know it will be fine at the distance you're talking about. Open sights depends on your eyesight. Mine is to the point that I don't particularly care for open sights beyond about 50 yards.
As far as the blind, it depends on the location, exposure to sunlight, etc. but it should be fine for the season. I used to leave mine out from about September through January with no problems, but I also always put it in wooded/shaded areas so it's exposure to the elements was more limited. It is also heavier than average material. If yours is the lighter material I wouldn't leave it out beyond deer season.

#6417259 - 08/20/16 04:41 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
BudMan Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Huntsville, Tex.
Thanks for the welcome folks! My blind does face west so I can get the sun over my back in the first light. Also it is in a clear pasture so no brush or trees to worry about. It's made of some type of thin nylon cloth like a backpack tent. I guess if it does not last it's no big deal as it only cost $60. That's a great tip about the nylon netting around the perimeter! Thanks!
My website;

#6417268 - 08/20/16 04:45 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
maximum Offline
Pro Tracker

i put a few out in sept. and they stay out until jan.
as posted above ^ ^ ^
these i have now are 3-4 years old and have been out
all season each of those years. i also have them in
shady spot as posted before.
the real key to popups is to toss those little bent
wires they give you and get some real 12" or so
tent stakes and to also guy it down real good with
those strings they give you. just like a tent, use
care using the zippers. i unzip the window i'm shooting
from and leave the others closed to not throw a silhouette.
good luck

i should also add if you don't know to not put it away damp.

Edited by maximum (08/20/16 04:49 PM)

#6417310 - 08/20/16 05:20 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
colt45 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
welcome to the forum. the blind, it will fade, I have seen them last couple of years, no need to leave it after deer season unless you are hunting other ctitters, toss a couple of mothballs on the ground should keep every thing out, good advise on the tent stakes, the little wire thing pull with a big sneeze.
hold on Newt, we got a runaway

#6417318 - 08/20/16 05:26 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Welcome. Good on you for still being able to shoot open sights with 57 year old eyes. If you're confident in it, I'd leave it the way it is.

And congratulations on the book publishing. That's a tremendous accomplishment.
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#6417324 - 08/20/16 05:29 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
4Weight Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Tarrant Cty and Murray
welcome Some great people here always willing to help. Good luck.
San Juan River NM FlyFishing

#6417350 - 08/20/16 05:49 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: The Island Cres
Welcome to the forum. You already have some good information posted above. Good luck this season post up some pics!!!!
leftytex, NOT!

#6417563 - 08/20/16 08:11 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: 4Weight]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Originally Posted By: 4Weight
welcome Some great people here always willing to help. Good luck.
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6417580 - 08/20/16 08:24 PM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
Brother Phil Offline

I have used a inexpensive pop up. What really helps is some shooting sticks, for a rifle rest. A comfortable chair is a must. During rifle season, snakes should not be an issue. It is always a good idea to look in the blind before entry. I got quite a surprise from a owl last season. I have owned a Win M94. I did not have a scope, never shot it at anything over 100 yards, so it was not an issue.

#6417941 - 08/21/16 08:24 AM Re: Hello from a new guy and a few questions... [Re: BudMan]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

My only suggestion to add is spray the blind with Scotch Guard or the similar product sold at Academy designed for tent surfaces. It will have a smell so you want to do it well before the season opener so the smell will have time to disperse. This will make the nylon far more rainproof so that you will stay dry. There isn't a better time to be in the woods ready to shoot than right after the end of a lengthy shower.

And find a comfortable chair for your blind that swivels but doesn't crack or squeak. While there are swivel-type chairs made specifically for hunting blind use, most folks just use an old office chair.

Good luck.

Spring, Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide