Print Thread
primer pocket uniforming #6410212 08/16/16 03:25 AM
T
TackDriver Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I have this primer pocket uniformer that has an adjustable depth cutter, I guess it was set to factory specs, but I loosened the allen screw and made it a little deeper because for some cases it would not touch the bottom of the pocket. So I set it a little deeper and does the depth of the cut make any difference as long as its all cut the same depth?

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6410230 08/16/16 03:42 AM
C
cblackall Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
You want to remove as little brass as possible. If you take too much, you could run into a problem where your primers either seat too deep for the firing pin to strike, or there's a gap between your primer anvil and the bottom of the primer pocket. In the latter case your firing pin would be hitting the primer, but not crushing the anvil against the primer pocket causing unreliable ignition. Obviously if your tool isn't removing anything, you'll need to adjust it. Just use minor adjustments until it's removing just enough to reach desired results.

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6410240 08/16/16 03:55 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
You want the primer to be what is it about 3 thousandths below (from memory so might not be exactly correct) the case head then have the depth of the primer to add to a good depth.

Agree with above though don't like to remove more than necessary

Some primer dimensions below

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6411697 08/17/16 01:56 AM
J
JP4065 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
https://ballistictools.com/articles/primer-pocket-depth-and-diameter.php

This link gives you minimum and maximum depth, I would not go any deeper than max.

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6411767 08/17/16 02:39 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
good stuff guys thanks for the links and pictures

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6411885 08/17/16 03:48 AM
T
TackDriver Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Thanks folks, I'll readjust my cutter till it barely scrapes the bottom of the primer pocket, just enough to square it.

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6411901 08/17/16 04:06 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Stan, for the love of things Holy. Please, just please, load ammo and shoot the rifle!!! I think you have the case of the OCD reloading! 90% of the things you're doing are not needed. Most shooters get by with the least amount of case prep and advanced reloading, and shoot sub 1/2 moa no problem. Pay attention to consistent powder charges, neck tension and seating depth, and then work on shooting your rifle accurately. Don't mess with the other crap. I load my customer ammo with pretty tight tolerances. When I load my personal ammo, I want it done and loaded quickly. It is often loaded the most sloppy, and still shoots very well, or as good as I need it to. I don't mess with primer pockets or any of that stuff. After 3-4 reloads, I'll clean them out.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6411903 08/17/16 04:07 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Just FYI- per ATK specs (Federal CCI, etc), they recommend primer depth anywhere between .004-.008" below flush. The sweet spot is about .004" to .006". I try for .004"-.005".

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: ChadTRG42] #6412135 08/17/16 01:34 PM
T
TackDriver Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Stan, for the love of things Holy. Please, just please, load ammo and shoot the rifle!!! I think you have the case of the OCD reloading! Pay attention to consistent powder charges, neck tension and seating depth, and then work on shooting your rifle accurately. Don't mess with the other crap.

LOL Chad, I can get a bit anal when my shooting is not going as I planned. I know my primer adjustment was off base and it was a stupid question I asked, sorry about that though. nuts

Actually there is one thing left for me to figure out. I know primer pocket uniforming has nothing to do with it. As you said above the few things necessary to do list, I have a problem with neck tension seating the bullets evenly. I even neck sized .001 under with a Redding Competition bushing die, chamfered the case mouths with a VLD chamfer, cleaned inside necks with a copper brush with my drill and uneven bullet seating pressure still continues. It's light seating for some and snugger seating for others. This is one issue, neck tension, I need to solve.

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6412528 08/17/16 05:32 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
LOL!, yes, and I am joking and playing with you at the same time being semi serious. (Plus, I had had a few beers last night when I posted that!!!).

IMO, .001" is too little neck tension for anything other than a benchrest rifle. The problem is that not all brass case necks are perfect to within .001". So, if you size to .001", some will be a little tighter and some will be more loose. In 100 cases, you will also have some rounds that the bullet will fall straight into the case from lack of tension.

I try to get about .003" to .004" neck tension as my minimum. It allows enough tension to properly hold a bullet with the small imperfections from neck to neck and get a consistent seating pressure. I used to load my 300 WM to .001", and had lots of issues doing that. I went .003-.004 on all my stuff, and it's been perfect.

There are a lot of shooters that, what I call, "Geek Out" over the reloading processes to try to get the ammo as perfect as possible. Often times they as a shooter can not shoot as accurately as their ammo and rifle does, and the application of getting rounds on target with enough practice at distance and in the wind is the lacking part.

There was a guy that I loaded all his 260 Rem ammo for him for competitions in the PRS. I even competed against him. His rifle shot great and he was doing pretty good in comps. He had saved up a bunch of brass, and started to reload himself. He "Geeked Out" and started neck turning brass, trimming primer pockets, and all the jazz. He started having all kinds of ammo problems (which I thought was my ammo at first). I talked to him, and he told me what he was doing. He had turned the necks too thin and was sticking bullets in the chamber when unloading a loaded round and was having miss fires from improper primer seating. He took a great system with match ammo loaded correctly, to loading it like a benchrest match, and it messed him up. My point is, he spent all that time on case prep and had nothing to show for it, and was actually worse off. A simple FL sizing (or correctly sized shoulder bump), proper neck tension, consistent powder charges, and consistent seating depth is all you need. Load the ammo like it's for hunting ammo and/or a tactical match, and the ammo will function just fine. When shooters try to turn their field rifles into benchrest rifles by loading ammo like a benchrest match, that's when they have problems. Don't "Geek Out" over it. Just load it and shoot it.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: ChadTRG42] #6412577 08/17/16 05:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Same thing happens to some trying to figure out a Mil/ Mil or MOA/ MOA scope. They make it more difficult than it is.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: ChadTRG42] #6412768 08/17/16 08:03 PM
T
TackDriver Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
LOL!, yes, and I am joking and playing with you at the same time being semi serious. (Plus, I had had a few beers last night when I posted that!!!).

IMO, .001" is too little neck tension for anything other than a benchrest rifle. The problem is that not all brass case necks are perfect to within .001". So, if you size to .001", some will be a little tighter and some will be more loose. In 100 cases, you will also have some rounds that the bullet will fall straight into the case from lack of tension.

I try to get about .003" to .004" neck tension as my minimum. It allows enough tension to properly hold a bullet with the small imperfections from neck to neck and get a consistent seating pressure. I used to load my 300 WM to .001", and had lots of issues doing that. I went .003-.004 on all my stuff, and it's been perfect.

There are a lot of shooters that, what I call, "Geek Out" over the reloading processes to try to get the ammo as perfect as possible. Often times they as a shooter can not shoot as accurately as their ammo and rifle does, and the application of getting rounds on target with enough practice at distance and in the wind is the lacking part.

There was a guy that I loaded all his 260 Rem ammo for him for competitions in the PRS. I even competed against him. His rifle shot great and he was doing pretty good in comps. He had saved up a bunch of brass, and started to reload himself. He "Geeked Out" and started neck turning brass, trimming primer pockets, and all the jazz. He started having all kinds of ammo problems (which I thought was my ammo at first). I talked to him, and he told me what he was doing. He had turned the necks too thin and was sticking bullets in the chamber when unloading a loaded round and was having miss fires from improper primer seating. He took a great system with match ammo loaded correctly, to loading it like a benchrest match, and it messed him up. My point is, he spent all that time on case prep and had nothing to show for it, and was actually worse off. A simple FL sizing (or correctly sized shoulder bump), proper neck tension, consistent powder charges, and consistent seating depth is all you need. Load the ammo like it's for hunting ammo and/or a tactical match, and the ammo will function just fine. When shooters try to turn their field rifles into benchrest rifles by loading ammo like a benchrest match, that's when they have problems. Don't "Geek Out" over it. Just load it and shoot it.

Great advice. Thanks Chad.

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: TackDriver] #6413218 08/18/16 12:16 AM
J
JP4065 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Big Stan,
I just measured the depth my large primer pocket uniforming tool and it is made by Sinclair International. This tool is not adjustable and is made from one piece of carbide.

The depth is .135 , hope this helps.

Re: primer pocket uniforming [Re: ChadTRG42] #6413509 08/18/16 02:27 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Stan, for the love of things Holy. Please, just please, load ammo and shoot the rifle!!! I think you have the case of the OCD reloading! 90% of the things you're doing are not needed. Most shooters get by with the least amount of case prep and advanced reloading, and shoot sub 1/2 moa no problem. Pay attention to consistent powder charges, neck tension and seating depth, and then work on shooting your rifle accurately. Don't mess with the other crap. I load my customer ammo with pretty tight tolerances. When I load my personal ammo, I want it done and loaded quickly. It is often loaded the most sloppy, and still shoots very well, or as good as I need it to. I don't mess with primer pockets or any of that stuff. After 3-4 reloads, I'll clean them out.

Ha Ha Ha!!
Chad you sound just like me talking to a buddy of mine out in California. He reads way too much crap on the computer,and then gets so confused that he spends all of his time trying to perfect every little function of loading a single round.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide