Page 1 of 2 1 2
West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics #6411125 08/16/16 08:21 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'm planning a possible spot-and-stalk west Texas Aoudad hunt in Presidio County, moutain-y area. Shots, I'm told, are expected to be in the 300 - 400 yard range. I expect glassing could be quite a bit further.

I already have a decent rifle scope but I need help with binoculars and/or a spotting scope. I have cheap binoculars already - Pursuit X1 10x42. It'a a Bass Pro brand, I think a re-branded Redfield. Since I've never done a hunt like this I don't know how viable my current $100 Bass Pro model will be. Maybe fine, maybe marginal, maybe useless?? I'm sure better binoculars could increase the possibility for success.

Now onto a spotting scope. How optional is a spotting scope? Maybe to a small degree that depends on binoculars?

So...

1) Do I roll with the binoculars I have and buy only a spotting scope? I could even use money that I don't spend on binoculars to put towards a spotting scope.
2) Buy binoculars? Recommendations?
3) Forgo or buy a spotting scope? If buy, recommendations?

This will be a fully guided hunt so I expect the guide to have both. That may be a factor to some but I don't necessarily want to cheap out on a hunt that's several thousand dollars round trip. I guess that's the answer to my questions and I just need gear recommendations!

Thanks for your feedback.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411180 08/16/16 08:59 PM
R
Rob M Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I went on an aoudad hunt in Palo Duro last year and all I used was a pair of vortex 10x binos. I had no problem spotting aoudad that were close to 1000 yards away.

[Linked Image]
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Rob M] #6411183 08/16/16 09:02 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Rob M
...vortex 10x binos. I had no problem spotting aoudad that were close to 1000 yards away.

What model?

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411190 08/16/16 09:07 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Yep. 10X Binos....the best you can possibly afford. Lots of good stuff in the $600 range now. You will get a lot of use out of them on other hunts as well. You wont need a spotting scope, guide will have one.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411203 08/16/16 09:16 PM
C
cblackall Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
You'll get way more mileage out of a good pair of bino's. A spotting scope has it's place, but it's specialized. If I'm glassing, my bino's are used to scan the terrain first. The field of view, stability, light gathering ability and typically the clarity will all be better with your binoculars. Not to mention reduced eye fatigue. I purchased a spotting scope for an antelope hunt in Wyoming, and have taken it elk hunting as well. I can count on one hand the number of times it got used in the field. It just took too long to set up, and wind and mirage made it nearly worthless at max power. If I have my spotting scope, it won't come out until I've found something of interest a long way off, or I need to pick apart a patch of brush or judge a distant animal. The spotting scope and tripod is cumbersome, and not really suited to a run and gun style hunt. If you will be seated on a hillside or bluff overlooking a lot of country for hours, it might be worth it to you, but I wouldn't sacrifice binocular quality just to have the spotter. If you choose to get a spotting scope, make sure it's a good one. The lower quality ones tend to get pretty grainy at high power, which is nearly useless if you're trying to count points or judge length. I've gone to using a pair of good 10x42's with a tripod and adapter for all my long range glassing, and I love it. Mounting your binoculars on a tripod really makes a difference for extended sits. I would suggest 10x42's for general work, or 12x50's for mounting on a tripod or hunting from a box blind. The 12x50's are nice, they're just a little heavier, and harder to steady off hand.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411255 08/16/16 09:39 PM
R
Rob M Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Here is what I used and still carry on all my hunts.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-10x50-binocular

[Linked Image]
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411306 08/16/16 10:03 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't forget the rangefinder. Seeing the critter is the first step, but when hunting unfamiliar territory, distances are tough to estimate.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: 603Country] #6411328 08/16/16 10:16 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Don't forget the rangefinder. Seeing the critter is the first step, but when hunting unfamiliar territory, distances are tough to estimate.

Yes, I have a rangefinder too. Good to 500 yards so it's more than what I need.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411339 08/16/16 10:23 PM
NTO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
www.optics4rent.com you can rent quality glass for cheap. Good glass looking thru them all day it's worth the price.

Chris Cantrell
North Texas Outfitters
(940)507-0269
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411486 08/17/16 12:11 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You can borrow my Leupold Gold Ring Spotter 12-40x60 on a nice tripod if you like. My binocs were just simple Burris 10X. I did that hunt a few years ago and my guide had both very high quality scope and binocs but I liked using my own as well.

Last edited by Big Fitz; 08/17/16 12:12 AM.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Big Fitz] #6411552 08/17/16 12:40 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
You can borrow my Leupold Gold Ring Spotter 12-40x60 on a nice tripod if you like. My binocs were just simple Burris 10X. I did that hunt a few years ago and my guide had both very high quality scope and binocs but I liked using my own as well.

That's very generous of you to offer, thank you.

I was just looking at the same model spotter. Sure is nice.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: cblackall] #6411626 08/17/16 01:17 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: cblackall
You'll get way more mileage out of a good pair of bino's. A spotting scope has it's place, but it's specialized. If I'm glassing, my bino's are used to scan the terrain first. The field of view, stability, light gathering ability and typically the clarity will all be better with your binoculars. Not to mention reduced eye fatigue. I purchased a spotting scope for an antelope hunt in Wyoming, and have taken it elk hunting as well. I can count on one hand the number of times it got used in the field. It just took too long to set up, and wind and mirage made it nearly worthless at max power. If I have my spotting scope, it won't come out until I've found something of interest a long way off, or I need to pick apart a patch of brush or judge a distant animal. The spotting scope and tripod is cumbersome, and not really suited to a run and gun style hunt. If you will be seated on a hillside or bluff overlooking a lot of country for hours, it might be worth it to you, but I wouldn't sacrifice binocular quality just to have the spotter. If you choose to get a spotting scope, make sure it's a good one. The lower quality ones tend to get pretty grainy at high power, which is nearly useless if you're trying to count points or judge length. I've gone to using a pair of good 10x42's with a tripod and adapter for all my long range glassing, and I love it. Mounting your binoculars on a tripod really makes a difference for extended sits. I would suggest 10x42's for general work, or 12x50's for mounting on a tripod or hunting from a box blind. The 12x50's are nice, they're just a little heavier, and harder to steady off hand.

^^Very good post.

I don't own spotting scope (yet) or high end binocs. If I were going on that hunt, I'd borrow a friend's 10X Swarovski binocs, because I know they'd get used many times per hour. I currently scan with an 8X Swarovski Laser Guide. Sure it's one eye, but it's Swaro glass, so it's pure clarity. That being said, glass clarity trumps everything, buy the clearest glass you can afford.

Running a spotter can work, but you need to do some practicing first. Have a pouch for it on your pack, try getting it out, and back in while wearing the pack. Try getting it steady seated on the ground, and using your knees. Then try taking the pack off and using the pack to get the spotter steady. Binocs, on that hunt, will require less effort to get into service.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411704 08/17/16 02:01 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
This is a pet peeve of mine. Get some nice bino's as they can be a lifetime investment.
On a hunt like this you will be using them constantly and while a Spotter is handy quality bino's IMO are a must have.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411718 08/17/16 02:16 AM
R
RHutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I use binos for locating and generally watching game.
I break out the spotter when 1. I need more detail to determine if the quarry spotted at distance is worthy of pursuit or 2. I think I found something waaaaaay out there with the binos and need to verify.

Been on the aoudad hunt in west Texas and did fine with 10x binos. Took the spotter but didn't need it. Broke it out once to play with it cause I felt obligated since I was packing it around.

When hunting mule deer in big mule deer country, I do pack and use the spotter although the binos do most of the work. It is not unusual to be scanning out 800 yards to 1.5 miles where I hunt.
Headed out in November to pursue big muleys and will be packing the 10x BRF and the 15-45x spotter.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: DStroud] #6411724 08/17/16 02:21 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DStroud
This is a pet peeve of mine. Get some nice bino's as they can be a lifetime investment.
On a hunt like this you will be using them constantly and while a Spotter is handy quality bino's IMO are a must have.

What is the pet peeve?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: TFF Caribou] #6411749 08/17/16 02:32 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Everybody that hunts needs very good glass binos

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411814 08/17/16 03:08 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
cblackall and FiremanJG - both valuable responses, thank you. And thanks to everybody else as well.

Along with practicing as you suggested, I need to dawn a loaded pack and exercise with it then get on the rifle while out of breath with elevated heart rate. Also, I'm going to have to get in lots of distance target practice. Would also be a good time to evaluate using my current binoculars. Oh, and get on with loading ammo. I have been expecting my muzzle brake to arrive - hopefully tomorrow. So maybe in the next few weeks I can get that installed.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: TFF Caribou] #6411822 08/17/16 03:12 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

What is the pet peeve?

Folks that will spend money on an expensive hunt but bring along a pair of cheaply made bino's they picked up at a store because they looked "clear" while they scanned over toward the shoe dept.
Do your homework check out some serious reviews look thru as many as you can take them out of the store with the salesman in tow if need be and make that investment count the first time. Your will be far ahead and get way more pleasure from using quality glass than suffering thru eye fatigue,constant focus issues ,alignment problems that come with cheap bino's
My Swaro's are 26 years old and my only regret was wasting money on the 4 previous pairs buying "Good enough" for my needs that weren't.
That money would have paid half the price of the Swaro's.... Then I could have paid them off in 6 months instead of taking a year. cheers

I am not saying go spend as much as you can on high end bino's but there is a price range where value and quality can be had.
Good example
http://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-10x42-reticle-1/

Last edited by DStroud; 08/17/16 03:24 AM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: DStroud] #6411826 08/17/16 03:13 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

What is the pet peeve?

Folks that will spend money on an expensive hunt but bring along a pair of cheaply made bino's they picked up at a store because they looked "clear" while they scanned over toward the shoe dept.
Do your homework check out some serious reviews look thru as many as you can take them out of the store with the salesman in tow if need be and make that investment count the first time. Your will be far ahead and get way more pleasure from using quality glass than suffering thru eye fatigue,constant focus issues ,alignment problems that come with cheap bino's
My Swaro's are 26 years old and my only regret was wasting money on the 4 previous pairs buying "Good enough" for my needs that weren't.
That money would have paid half the price of the Swaro's.... Then I could have paid them off in 6 months instead of taking a year. cheers

Ahh. There we go.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: DStroud] #6411872 08/17/16 03:42 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

What is the pet peeve?

I hear ya and agree. Here's how I got to where I am. I hunted without binoculars until a few years ago when I received these as a gift. I never needed any prior to and still don't for my normal hunting though I've used them a handful of times and they are great for my usage, in my environment. Though to be very forthright I used them simply so I could say that I did. With my only exposure to binoculars being this single pair I currently have I didn't know how much crap they are or not for an environment I have never hunted in. So that was a part of my original post - will they suffice or not. Somebody early on in this thread said to spend as much as I can. While that may seem very logical to some it does not to me. I could spend $3k on a pair and not bat an eye but for a one off hunt it doesn't make sense. They'd collect dust. Maybe I'd use them one or two more times in my life, maybe not. I'm sure there are countless models available for far less than the $3k pair that would suit me fantastically.

Your point is not lost. Don't cheap out. It's up to me to find the middle ground between cheaping out and spending/wasting just because I can.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411921 08/17/16 04:35 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I would rather hunt without pants than without binoculars.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: DStroud] #6411935 08/17/16 04:53 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I would rather hunt without pants than without binoculars.

Where I deer hunt I don't need either.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6411986 08/17/16 11:06 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I would ask the outfitter/guide. I going on a West Texas Mule deer hunt 1st week of December. Last time I went with the same outfitter, it was a free range Axis hunt and the guide brought a good set of binos, spotting scope, rangefinder and shooting sticks. I really only needed my rifle. A good set of binos will help you enjoy the hunt more by participating more.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6412555 08/17/16 05:50 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

What is the pet peeve?

I hear ya and agree. Here's how I got to where I am. I hunted without binoculars until a few years ago when I received these as a gift. I never needed any prior to and still don't for my normal hunting though I've used them a handful of times and they are great for my usage, in my environment. Though to be very forthright I used them simply so I could say that I did. With my only exposure to binoculars being this single pair I currently have I didn't know how much crap they are or not for an environment I have never hunted in. So that was a part of my original post - will they suffice or not. Somebody early on in this thread said to spend as much as I can. While that may seem very logical to some it does not to me. I could spend $3k on a pair and not bat an eye but for a one off hunt it doesn't make sense. They'd collect dust. Maybe I'd use them one or two more times in my life, maybe not. I'm sure there are countless models available for far less than the $3k pair that would suit me fantastically.

Your point is not lost. Don't cheap out. It's up to me to find the middle ground between cheaping out and spending/wasting just because I can.

Based on this post, I think this might be a good option for you.

http://www.optics4rent.com

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6414954 08/19/16 12:58 AM
T
TxHunter80 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
On my aoudad hunt last year, I felt like good binoculars and good boots were the most important gear to have. Your guide should have a spotting scope. Spotting scopes capable of providing clarity at high magnifications are pretty expensive. Unless you are willing to spend money for a quality spotter, just get a good pair of 10x binos. I do wish I would have had a bipod or a bogpod.

I think we often think that we "need" the best to have a successful hunt. The aoudad guide last year used a pair of Nikon Prostaff binouclars and my PH in Africa used a pair of Vortex Crossfire binoculars. Both probably cost under $200. Neither had trouble spotting game and both make their living doing so. I have always bought higher end scopes and binos and do appreciate the performance/build quality. However, plenty of folks still get it done with less. Today, there are some very impressive binos/scopes in the $300-500 range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide