Forums46
Topics538,047
Posts9,732,342
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6415247 08/19/16 04:10 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The vortex with HD glass are very nice for the coin

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: DStroud] #6415527 08/19/16 01:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: DStroud
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: DStroud
This is a pet peeve of mine. Get some nice bino's as they can be a lifetime investment.
On a hunt like this you will be using them constantly and while a Spotter is handy quality bino's IMO are a must have.

What is the pet peeve?

Folks that will spend money on an expensive hunt but bring along a pair of cheaply made bino's they picked up at a store because they looked "clear" while they scanned over toward the shoe dept.
Do your homework check out some serious reviews look thru as many as you can take them out of the store with the salesman in tow if need be and make that investment count the first time. Your will be far ahead and get way more pleasure from using quality glass than suffering thru eye fatigue,constant focus issues ,alignment problems that come with cheap bino's
My Swaro's are 26 years old and my only regret was wasting money on the 4 previous pairs buying "Good enough" for my needs that weren't.
That money would have paid half the price of the Swaro's.... Then I could have paid them off in 6 months instead of taking a year. cheers

I am not saying go spend as much as you can on high end bino's but there is a price range where value and quality can be had.
Good example
http://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-10x42-reticle-1/

This. I stupidly went without binoculars for years as a younger guy. Even the cheaper models were a big step up. Swaro 10x42s opened up a whole new world.

IMO I don't care where you are or what you are hunting - you need a pair of 8x42 or 10x42 binoculars of the best quality you can afford. Binoculars are not just for long range. They are also invaluable for picking up detail even at modest ranges.

An open country hunt like the OP's calls for a quality pair of binoculars - I would go with 10x42. Best you can afford. Meopta is a good mid range option. You don't need a spotting scope IF someone else has a good one on the trip. But make sure someone has one. If not, rent or borrow one. Bottom line, that particular hunt is an "optics heavy" hunt right up there with any in the world. Those sheep are in open country, often far away, and blend in with their surroundings.

At less than 1200 yards or so, the value of a spotting scope is not spotting - it's determining whether the animal you have located is one to go after. At a mile or more its value is for both spotting and sizing up (if possible).

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 08/19/16 02:29 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6415587 08/19/16 02:26 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've got some old Leica 10x40 binocs. Great glass and sturdy construction. Replacement cost these days would be huge, but the build quality is amazing, so I doubt I'll need new ones ever. I also have several Nikon binocs. The glass is very good, but build quality is nowhere near that of the Leicas. But for a short hunt, the Nikons would be fine. Just get some best quality Nikons (or Bushnells or Vortex or Leupold) and go hunting.

The Leicas, Zeiss, and Swaros are a lifetime type investment. You probably don't need that, or at least don't think you need that. But use some top grade binocs for a while and you may change your mind and buy the best.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: 603Country] #6416897 08/20/16 03:59 PM
J
joshf303 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
It was mentioned earlier....

A good set of 10-12x binos, tripod, and some sort of cradle would be my priority. I've been using a set of 10X Cabelas (Meopta) binos, a BogPod cradle and a Vortex Summit tripod the last couple years. The glass in the binos is excellent and you can get into a used set occasionally for around $500. Even if the guide has done his job, knows the locales and targeted animals, any extended glassing session will benefit greatly from a cradle and tripod. Keeping the weight off your arms and allowing you to systematically pick apart the terrain are huge benefits. I also pack either a Vortex Viper 15-45 or Mark 4 12-40 as a spotter, but they seldom leave the side pocket of the Kifaru for typical glassing duty. They get used mostly for the checking of a LR critter that I can't fiqure out through the binos and videos of LR shots.

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Brother in-law] #6417588 08/21/16 01:31 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
The vortex with HD glass are very nice for the coin

They definitely are. I was able to compare my son's Vortex Viper HD 10x50's side by side with my Leupold BX2 Acadia 10x42's while hunting in Alaska, and the Vortex HD's made my Leupolds look pretty bad. I thought I had some pretty good binoculars until I looked through the Vipers. New Vortex Viper HD binoculars are now much higher on my priority list. With their LE/Military pricing, they're probably the best bang for the buck for me.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6417619 08/21/16 01:57 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
At 300-400 yards I would go binos. I took a spotter elk hunting last year as I didn't have good binos. My vortex razor is nice but only really came in handy when looking 800+

I just bought a pair of maven b1 and so far really like them

Re: West Texas Aoudad Hunt - Optics [Re: Mickey Moose] #6419140 08/22/16 05:18 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
You may or may not need a spotting scope. In West Texas, you likely will but your guide will probably have one. You will definitively need binos, even if you guide brings them, you will want your own. In that country, I carry binos even when I'm not hunting. It can save you a lot of walking.

Also, you can get decent binos for a few hundred bucks. The spotting scopes you get for that much money are junk. Good spotting scopes start out at $1000+. In my opinion, a spotting scope is not worth the money if you are not willing to spend that much. I don't want to sound like an optics snob but high magnification is less forgiving of imperfect glass. It just is. Cheap spotting scopes are almost useless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide