Forum Stats
60489 Members
45 Forums
476384 Topics
6249474 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6410578 - 08/16/16 09:15 AM Introducing young dog to gunfire??
pharmvet Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: North East Tx
I would like to know your method for introducing a young dog (mine is English Pointer) to gunfire.
What age, what method, how, when, where, why etc. thanks!!!!!

Edited by pharmvet (08/16/16 09:16 AM)

#6410590 - 08/16/16 09:22 AM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
A lot depends on how the pup reacts to gunfire. The friend with the red setters let his pups out of the truck to run awhile. He shot a 20 in the other direction. Neither reacted. It was easy from there.

I back up if I get a reaction and start at a greater distance.

I simply took Cracker to NSTRA trials and tied her out. She never showed any reaction.

#6410615 - 08/16/16 09:36 AM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
BradyBuck Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
I believe that you start way before a gun is ever in the picture. I typically start with a very young pup (10 weeks old or so) by standing across the room while they eat and clapping my hands. Sometimes you'll get a head lift and then they continue to eat and many times try don't even acknowledge it. I then gradually move closer and louder to where I can clap loud right over their head and it doesn't bother them.

With my current pup I used a 209 primer fired from a winger at about 50 yards. It didn't bother her at all and the excitement of the flying duck helped. In the past I've just had a friend throw a bumper and fire a shot from a distance.....50+ yards with 20 gauge but a 22 would probably be better to start.

Gradually move closer and read the dog. If the dog ever looks anxious take a step back.

For many dogs this gradual process might not be necessary but it's way better to be safe than sorry. Trying to "fix" a gun shy dog is much harder than taking the time to make sure they never get gun shy.

#6410885 - 08/16/16 12:14 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Temple, tx
I use a 22, point it away from the puppy at first,,,,, then just shoot it around the puppy -------- if he is gun shy to that I would get rid of him.

#6411169 - 08/16/16 03:51 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: dune2218]
bobcat1 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
I started Buster, my cocker, with banging pans at feed time when he was real young. Then banged them while he was chasing HIS tennis ball. And yes he has HIS tennis ball and imitations don't work. So we go to the field and I throw the ball and shoot 22 blanks at a distance. No reaction, move closer no reaction. Make him sit until I release him after ball is thrown and shot fired beside him. No reaction. Repeat same process with 12 gauge no reaction. Get frozen dove and throw it, bang, he gets it and brings it back. When he retrieves anything it is at mach chicken .... wide open. Same retrieve all the way thorough process. Then got 3 guns out and had help emptying 3 rounds each for one retrieve.... no reaction. I shoot 3 times over him at sit and stay while son threw bird. released perfect retrieve. He's ready.

#6411613 - 08/16/16 08:10 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: dune2218]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Originally Posted By: dune2218
I use a 22, point it away from the puppy at first,,,,, then just shoot it around the puppy -------- if he is gun shy to that I would get rid of him.

They are home to stay once they come home with me. I've had two that were soft to the gun that eventually made good bird dogs.

#6411705 - 08/16/16 09:01 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: bill oxner]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

They are home to stay once they come home with me. I've had two that were soft to the gun that eventually made good bird dogs.

I hunted with a man off and on for 30 years that consistently had the best string of dogs that I ever hunted behind. His philosophy was that you had to go through a lot of good dogs to find the great dogs.

I've had a few that didn't make the cut. It gets much harder to cull dogs once you have a wife. I have seen one truly great dog that was nervous around a gun when he was young.i wouldn't give up on a pup just because he was spooky at first.

#6411714 - 08/16/16 09:10 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
I agree with Brady. My dogs are introduced to loud noises, slapping boards together and stuff young when the are preoccupied with food. My Tess will lay on the deck and relax while you sight in your rifle and never flinch.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#6411956 - 08/17/16 02:25 AM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: magnolia tx
That banging pots and pans idea is old fashioned. Like said dog should be focused on chasing a pigeon while firing a 22 blank. Adjust distance accordingly

#6412314 - 08/17/16 10:32 AM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: blanked]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
Originally Posted By: blanked
That banging pots and pans idea is old fashioned. Like said dog should be focused on chasing a pigeon while firing a 22 blank. Adjust distance accordingly

Well where I come from we have a saying. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Many owners don't have a back yard where they can loose a hobbled bird and fire a weapon. I live in the suburbs but am fortunate to have a couple of properties I can go to where I can but they are a drive. Around the average home doing it "the old fashioned" way is effective and legal.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#6412355 - 08/17/16 10:58 AM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: dfw
The process of introducing pups to gunfire that is by and large most successful overall, is using a method where “noise” (hands, pot/pans, paper bags, boards, blanks, guns at a distance, etc., etc.) is introduced while the pups are engaged in something that they enjoy (food, balls, birds, etc., etc.)

It’s a simple process if you ask me and I have never had a gun-shy dog. By starting young at feeding time clapping hands, banging boards, throwing tennis balls and moving up to shooting while letting a dog chase a bird, you should never have a problem except in only the most extreme cases.

Young dogs learn by association. The objective is to associate “noise” with something positive.

"In dog beers, I've only had one..."

#6413025 - 08/17/16 05:20 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
3 to 6 weeks before fear starts to develop ideally. Hopefully your breeder will start this for you. While a dog is chasing a pigeon is good but I will not use this method anymore. Makes steadiness training a pain.

#6413449 - 08/17/16 09:00 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: dune2218]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lake X

That is a dumb comment. Pups are not born gun shy, they become gun shy because of man, and improper gun conditioning. Its baby steps, slowly introducing pup to gun fire, some do not need baby steps, some do, and some need smaller baby steps...

#6413652 - 08/17/16 10:28 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: Guy]
bobcat1 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
Originally Posted By: Guy
Pups are not born gun shy, they become gun shy because of man, and improper gun conditioning. Its baby steps, slowly introducing pup to gun fire, some do not need baby steps, some do, and some need smaller baby steps...
Spot on!

#6424634 - 08/25/16 04:54 PM Re: Introducing young dog to gunfire?? [Re: pharmvet]
adam_p Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Pilot Point
I took baby steps. .22 with a suppressor, .22 without the suppressor, .410, then up to the 12g.

Started while we were just out playing then introduced thrown dead ringneck dove. Seems to have worked. Now she looks for stuff falling when the gun goes off.

Had a little scare last dove season where I took her to a dove shoot and it got hot and heavy for a bit with lots of gun fire with few birds falling. She ran and jumped in the truck. Not sure if she was scared or tuckered out, but if I raise another dog from a pup her first hunt won't be near anybody else and certainly won't be around another dog that is beating her to the retrieves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide