6241967 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6405850 - 08/12/16 06:03 PM Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
Early next week I will take delivery of one of those rubber donut deresonator gadgets that you slide onto your barrel.

I have run into a situation that calls for the barrel to be tuned, rather than the load. I have a light 30-06 load that cannot go lighter on, and that I do not want to push faster. (2008 fps 150 grn bullet) - This puts me into the same predicament as .22lr benchrest shooters, who are the most enthusiastic users of barrel tuners.

Most shooters either try out different factory loads, or if they are reloaders, they fool around with different powders and loads until one of them works out for them. - In each case, the one that "works out" does so because the barrel vibration cycle happens to be in the middle of its up and down motion as the bullet leaves the barrel.

When you pop off a round, the barrel whips kind of like a garden hose being waved up and down, in what is called a sine wave, pictured in the image above. Ultra slow-mo videos show this in action. The whole thing wriggles and squirms.

If the bullet happens to leave while the muzzle is at the center, not at the top or bottom of its squirm, then you get lots better accuracy.

The Limbsaver deresonator, ugly though it may be, will act like the Browning BOSS barrel tuner by giving you a weight that you can move forward and back on the barrel until your groups tighten up. - You shoot two rounds, note the group size, then move the deresonator a small distance and try it again. Sooner or later, you'll hit the "sweet spot" where that load shoots a dime-sized group.

Youtube Vid

Anyway, I'll try it out early next week, and report my findings here. Until then, feel free to talk among yourselves...

Edited by charlesb (08/13/16 04:45 AM)

#6406152 - 08/12/16 10:08 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
Sneaky Online   content
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
I can't get over the way those things look. I just couldn't do that to a rifle.

#6406282 - 08/13/16 04:35 AM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

They are definitely tacky, there's no doubt about that.

Most barrel tuners look more like the Browning/Winchester BOSS, a lot like a muzzle brake without the holes in it. - Though some have the holes and serve a dual purpose.

The Limbsaver deresonator appears to be most popular with fellows who run a can. It goes between the end of the fore-end and the can, allowing barrel tuning where otherwise it would not be possible. My observation here is that if you are running a can, then good looks have already been pretty well abandoned in any case, so adding a deresonator is not going to make it look much worse.

Tuner with a can.

I intend to buy one of the nicer-looking tuners for a project rifle that I am working on. PDT Tuners

For this Patriot in 30-06 though, I only intend to use the deresonator/tuner with the light target loads that I mentioned. When I'm shooting anything else, the rubber donut will come off. Returning it to the "sweet spot" for the target loads will be a simple matter of using a tape measure when putting it back on the barrel again.

Tuners really shine when you want a particular load to shoot well, without having to monkey around with different charge weights, bullet seating depth, etc.. - Like if you wanted to shoot a particular factory load, and get the same accuracy that you would get with a carefully developed hand-load.

That capability is sort of purdy, in itself.

Edited by charlesb (08/13/16 04:53 AM)

#6406539 - 08/13/16 11:14 AM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: Sneaky]
Reloder28 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Deer Park, Tx
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Looks like a butt plug

#6406577 - 08/13/16 11:52 AM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: Reloder28]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Reloder28
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Looks like a butt plug

To me it looks like a dust cover for a CV joint.

Then sometimes it reminds me of the dust cover for the stick shift on a VW van, where the stick comes out of the floor.

I'll have to take your word about the butt plug.

Edited by charlesb (08/13/16 12:10 PM)

#6406639 - 08/13/16 01:03 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Originally Posted By: charlesb

Most shooters either try out different factory loads, or if they are reloaders, they fool around with different powders and loads until one of them works out for them. - In each case, the one that "works out" does so because the barrel vibration cycle happens to be in the middle of its up and down motion as the bullet leaves the barrel.

When you pop off a round, the barrel whips kind of like a garden hose being waved up and down, in what is called a sine wave, pictured in the image above. Ultra slow-mo videos show this in action. The whole thing wriggles and squirms.

If the bullet happens to leave while the muzzle is at the center, not at the top or bottom of its squirm, then you get lots better accuracy.

Youtube Vid

Anyway, I'll try it out early next week, and report my findings here. Until then, feel free to talk among yourselves...

Not quite correct. The speed of the barrel's motion is maximum at the middle of the cycle and you therefore get maximum dispersion of shots due to the most minor velocity differences. What you8 actually want to have is the bullet to exit the muzzle as the the muzzle is approaching the very top of the vibration cycle.

The peaks of the cycle are where the speed of barrel motion is minimal and the effects of velocity variances are minimized.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6406687 - 08/13/16 01:47 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

These are so ghetto

#6406707 - 08/13/16 02:10 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Seems like you could play with the load a little without adding a whole lot of velocity.

Either way, good luck to you. I hope it does what you need it to.

#6406732 - 08/13/16 02:42 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
hummmmm popcorn

#6406738 - 08/13/16 02:50 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
maximum Offline
Pro Tracker

they work really well.
i have one on my 223 rifle.
they'll get way more popular when
someone in a movie has one on their
rifle and the price goes way up.
then they'll be trendy instead of
ugly and folks that have them will
scoff and ridicule at those that don't

#6406745 - 08/13/16 03:08 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
I hate to tell him but my boss is on the other end.

I have a short attention spa

#6406835 - 08/13/16 05:19 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: RiverRider]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: charlesb

Youtube Vid

Not quite correct. The speed of the barrel's motion is maximum at the middle of the cycle and you therefore get maximum dispersion of shots due to the most minor velocity differences. What you8 actually want to have is the bullet to exit the muzzle as the the muzzle is approaching the very top of the vibration cycle.

The peaks of the cycle are where the speed of barrel motion is minimal and the effects of velocity variances are minimized.

Thanks for bringing that up, I had the wrong idea.

#6406839 - 08/13/16 05:23 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Seems like you could play with the load a little without adding a whole lot of velocity.

Either way, good luck to you. I hope it does what you need it to.

I hope to find out early next week, weather permitting. - Lately we have been getting a good deal of rain in west Texas. The gadget is supposed to be delivered sometime Monday, and I have 50 rounds loaded, ready to try it out with.

I also have a new borescope coming, that will be fun to play with.

#6406848 - 08/13/16 05:31 PM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: charlesb]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
That is a gorgeous place to be when summer rains keep it green. Wish I was in that neck of the woods myself.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6407320 - 08/14/16 05:11 AM Re: Limbsaver Rubber Donut Deresonator [Re: RiverRider]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
That is a gorgeous place to be when summer rains keep it green. Wish I was in that neck of the woods myself.

Most importantly, all of the game animals reproduce at a much higher rate when it greens up, and the ranchers land will support a lot more cattle, bringing beef prices down. Next year there will be a large bump in the population of pronghorn, elk, mule deer, and auodad sheep. Pigs too, unfortunately. The population of auodad (barbary) sheep imported from Libya has already exploded to the point where some of the ranchers are beginning to class them with the pigs, as nuisance critters. This will bring down the price of sheep hunts across the state, pretty soon.

I moved to west Texas at the tail end of a long drought, got to see it like that, and then I got to see it green up when the drought broke. Both conditions are part of desert life, I've been told, so you have to be ready to see it either or both ways.

It looks like there will be a lull in the rain on both Monday and Tuesday here. - So I will probably get to experiment with the rubber donut deresonator on Tuesday morning. It will be nice to pop a cap or two... I am used to shooting once or twice a week, and the rain has put a damper on that.

Edited by charlesb (08/14/16 07:29 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide