Print Thread
How to get into competitive shooting? #6405839 08/12/16 11:00 PM
G
Ghost-cfd Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
How does one go about getting into the competitive shooting world? What kind of guns would you need? Where do you find out about events?

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
No one had a gun in our hands and we just watched it go. One guy threw his beer can at it..

Originally Posted By: Txslobberknocker
just in really good shape and also hopefully flip the switch a little faster on my wife.
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6405858 08/12/16 11:10 PM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
It's depend on what discipline you want to do; shotgun, rifle, or pistol. Each gun also has several separate types of disciplines to do.

Shotgun has skeet, trap, 5-stand, sporting clays, fitasc, etc...

Rifle has bench rest, practical precision, long distance, iron sight only, caliber limits, defensive situations competitions, etc...

Pistol has precision events, speed events, steel shoots, and on.

Then there is a mix of all guns like three gun.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6405874 08/12/16 11:24 PM
G
Ghost-cfd Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
I'm interested in doing pistol and/or rifle precision. Maybe steel shots on pistol as well.

No one had a gun in our hands and we just watched it go. One guy threw his beer can at it..

just in really good shape and also hopefully flip the switch a little faster on my wife.
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6405897 08/12/16 11:50 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Google is your friend! Find somewhere that does the types of competition you want to shoot, and take the gun yku have that will fit in the rules. You're not going to win on your first match, even if you have the best equipment, so it's best to figure out what you need and like before purchasing or modifying anything.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406002 08/13/16 01:23 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Do some research on the type of shooting you want to do.

For pistol, there's IDPA and IPSC. I personally enjoy the IDPA type matches because it closely resembles concealed carry.

For rifle, there's all types. There are many local club matches all over TX. TXPRC club matches, PRS and PRS club matches. We have one on next Sat- Aug 20 at Jason's place. Look up some gun ranges in your area that are longer than 100 yards, and they may have some. There's NRA F-Class and F-Open matches. Each type of match may require a specific type of rifle, though, like NRA F-Class with their rules and such.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406009 08/13/16 01:27 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I can get you ready for the practical precision/ long range rifle. I have one that style next Saturday at my range.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406027 08/13/16 01:35 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Personally I would start with some pistol matches. I think it will be easier to try since they are everywhere and in town generally. Shoot a few of those to see if you like the competition aspect of it.

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406038 08/13/16 01:41 AM
H
Huntaholics Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I don't post much here but there's a lot of helpful shooters and information on this site. Some of them have already replied.

Reach out so some of the guys offering you training/help and go to a local match just to see how they run. You don't have to shoot the first match you go to. If you want, there's normally a group/squad that will take you under their wing and let you borrow/use some of their equipment. Ask questions while you're there, how much was your gear, etc. Learn the commands and always be safe.

If it's 2 gun and 3 gun competition I recommend you check out North Texas Multigun and their facebook page. Great group of shooters and Jeremy puts on matches that really works for every shooter regardless of experience.

Also check out 3 gun matches with Texas Defensive Shooting Academy, Len also puts on some great matches and the guys that shoot there are very helpful as well.

Hunt.

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406073 08/13/16 02:05 AM
G
Ghost-cfd Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
Thanks for all the information so far! I've done a little research and I think I would be interested in starting out with a small bore rifle competition or a IDPA competition. I live in Terrell TX so I'm gonna look for some ranges around there that might be hosting some competitions. If you know any around the area let me know and I'll look it up! The Rockwall gun club is literally a minute from my house but I don't even know if they've officially opened yet and I've heard that the membership fee might be Pretty expensive.

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406190 08/13/16 03:47 AM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Get used to spending money, competitive shooting is an expensive hobby!

Last edited by TDK; 08/13/16 03:47 AM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406197 08/13/16 03:53 AM
P
Poke81 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Look up Cross Timbers IDPA and DAPS. Cross timbers is on the Fort Worth side and DAPs is on the other.

Cannot speak for DAPS but I shoot CTASA pretty regular and there's a lot of fun to be had. We have a match or two at Defender Outdoors, Triple C tactical once a month, Winchester Gallery on every Thursday, Lone Star in W'ford, and Johnson County on a couple weekends every month.

There seems to be more IDPA in the area. On some weeks you could literally start shooting a match on Monday and shoot a match a day all the way to Sunday.

DAPS

Cross Timbers

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: TDK] #6406203 08/13/16 03:56 AM
P
Poke81 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: TDK

I have shot 3500-4000 rounds a month this year shooting with CTASA. A ton of that is working on my skills at the range and a little bit of shooting. Maybe 1500/month competitive and the rest practice. I've moved up to a Dillon 650 and will probably get the auto drive for it when it comes out.

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: TDK] #6406320 08/13/16 11:56 AM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: TDK

It doesn't have to be. Of course, if you want to be really successful, you're going to be dumping a lot of money into equipment costs and ammo. But if you just want to have a good time and practice your practical shooting skills, what you've got currently will work just fine. Most competitive organizations have a division that will let you shoot whatever you've got and be semi-competitive with it. Whether it's your M&P shield or your CZ Czechmate, you'll be able to jump right in and start learning without spending any more money on equipment. There are even some organizations which sort of encourage running what you got to allow more people to jump in, GSSF comes to mind.

But the second you decide you're jumping into a division like Limited or Open and will try to be competitive, all the cost-saving goes out the window. $100 for four adjustable mag pouches, $150 for a race holster, $50 for a nice belt, $2k+ on a gun, several hundred dollars on magazines, so on and so forth. It's a bit of an arms race, but it's a ton of fun to feel like you're really running on the ragged edge.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 08/13/16 11:59 AM.
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6406418 08/13/16 02:01 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Ghost-cfd
Thanks for all the information so far! I've done a little research and I think I would be interested in starting out with a small bore rifle competition or a IDPA competition. I live in Terrell TX so I'm gonna look for some ranges around there that might be hosting some competitions. If you know any around the area let me know and I'll look it up! The Rockwall gun club is literally a minute from my house but I don't even know if they've officially opened yet and I've heard that the membership fee might be Pretty expensive.

Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club has an open IPDA match every month, check them out.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6407149 08/14/16 02:26 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I shot pistol and rifle silhouettes for years. Great fun competing and some great people you'll meet along the way.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6408926 08/15/16 03:56 PM
N
Nitronx898 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I will have to agree with Passthru, I shoot shotguns competitively and over the years have found some great friends. You will meet people from all over and no matter how different they might be, I have not met one that has not helped me in some way. You will meet some great folks.

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Nitronx898] #6408929 08/15/16 03:59 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nitronx898
over the years have found some great friends. You will meet people from all over and no matter how different they might be, I have not met one that has not helped me in some way. You will meet some great folks.

That must be true for any firearm competitive discipline. The same thing has happened for me with practical precision rifle. Great bunch of guys that have provided many lessons to me along the way.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Huntaholics] #6409063 08/15/16 05:55 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Huntaholics
I don't post much here but there's a lot of helpful shooters and information on this site. Some of them have already replied.

Reach out so some of the guys offering you training/help and go to a local match just to see how they run. You don't have to shoot the first match you go to. If you want, there's normally a group/squad that will take you under their wing and let you borrow/use some of their equipment. Ask questions while you're there, how much was your gear, etc. Learn the commands and always be safe.

If it's 2 gun and 3 gun competition I recommend you check out North Texas Multigun and their facebook page. Great group of shooters and Jeremy puts on matches that really works for every shooter regardless of experience.

Also check out 3 gun matches with Texas Defensive Shooting Academy, Len also puts on some great matches and the guys that shoot there are very helpful as well.

+1

I'll just add that Jeremy also does a monthly steel match and is very liberal on what firearm/division you can shoot. You can shoot pistol caliber carbines, .22 rifle/pistol, centerfire pistol, shotgun or even two separate divisions. It's great fun and is the perfect first match. My wife shot it a few months ago with her Browning Buckmark. It was her first match and she had a blast!

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: How to get into competitive shooting? [Re: Ghost-cfd] #6409280 08/15/16 08:32 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I just saw this. This was one of the first precision rifle matches I ever shot. TJ at Tiger Valley has put on some good matches in the past. It's a team event, and if one of you can run a bolt gun and the other run an AR, it's a fun match. This is the match that I learned a 60 grain V-max will begin to tumble at 800 yards!!! They shot great at 600, but were key holing on the targets at 800 yards out of my AR.

http://www.shop.tigervalley.com/09-10-11-2016-2-Man-Team-Sniper-Match-09102016SNIPERMATCH.htm

By popular request, we are again hosting a Team Sniper Match. This event will mimic the real deployment of a sniper team. Teams will have to deploy, build a hide and use all the skills necessary to survive as a Sniper Team. Stages will include dynamic movements like deploying from an IED attack, Land Mine interruption, angled shooting, communication drills and high value target interdiction. Shooters should expect real life targets and situations at all times.

Match will include a prize table

Ammo Requirements: 150 rds Precision Rifle, 250 rds AR15, 75 rds Pistol. There is no weapon or equipment limits, but if you use it you must carry it. There can be no switching of gear or dropping of gear during the match, you start with it you finish with it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide